1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Oem gas tank sealer woes

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by freeride, May 18, 2010.

1. freeride

freeride Member

I have a problem with what ever Harley used to line the tank of my 2000 Sportster 1200 Custom. It seems the ethanol (or what ever other garbage is in most local fuel supplies) has broken down the gray colored coating inside the gas tank. It is no longer bonded to the tank, and is flaking off . It has already caused carb problems once, and it is doing it again. I know I need to install an inline fuel filter, but I feel this is "too little, too late". Has anyone else experienced this, and does anyone have any suggestions on how to rectify the problem? Thanks in advance!
  2. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Been there, done that & inline filters on Sportsters often cause problems because of where you have to put one they cut fuel flow down too much.

The solution is take the tank to a radiator shop, as they have the chemicals & equipment to clean it out to the bare metal & coat the inside again. The shop here uses a fiberglass product which they guarantee will NEVER come loose, chip or flake off & they charge $85 to do the job.

There are products like "Kreem" you can buy to re-coat the inside of the tank yourself, but I've never seen anyone have success with those & the reason is they can't get every nook & cranny inside the tank 100% clean. Kreem may last 6 months, a year, maybe longer, but then it starts coming off too & just because the metal wasn't 100% clean to start with. So that's why I say radiator shop - they do that type of work every day.
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I agree with Art...had the same thing with my Heritage...at the time the Kreem kit was $60.00 here in Canada + I had to do the work, Radiator shop here wanted $90.00 to do the job and have experience with doing bike tanks, so it was a no brainer, I've seen a couple of Kreem jobs and they didn't work out very well for the reasons Art mentioned. It's been about a decade since the Heritage tanks were done and not a problem, no peeling or flaking.Find a rad shop with experience doing painted tanks.
  4. freeride

freeride Member

Thank you, gentlemen. Good point about the fuel filter ... that never ocurred to me. I guess I will be looking for a radiator shop.