1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

OEM HD Plugs vs. Aftermarket plugs

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Lucifer, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

When I bought this bike in stock trim I was getting 40MPG consistently, then I did a Stage 1 and mileage went up to 43MPG,pretty good I thought...then the hybrid conversion with a TW21 mileage stayed at 43MPG. So this year after listening to the hype that you must use stock OEM plugs because of the ion sensing gizmo in these EFI TC's I decided to try a set of OEM plugs....now I'm getting 48-49MPG :wtf::confused:
    My riding style hasn't changed a bit...the only changes I made was to use OEM plugs and I went back to fossil oil....
    So...it got me thinking(that's dangerous LOL)....could it be that, since the spark plugs are actually a sensor in the ion sensing device that with aftermarket plugs it is not throwing a code but is retarding timing a bit because the ion sensing is getting a different reading than using OEM plugs:confused:
    My question first of all is.... If you retard your timing would you use more fuel??
    I asked a buddy when I went to his shop for a inspection sticker about it and he said that the aftermarket plugs you can buy anywhere are mass produced and quality control is a little less with Champion RA8HC than the low production plugs Champion makes for HD

I'm at a loss to explain why this year my mileage jumped 5-6MPG's...could it be that Harley's claims about using only OEM plugs are valid???:confused:
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i have tried them all........and i use harley. not expensive, easy to find.........