1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Oil analysis

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by jturuk, Mar 11, 2010.

1. jturuk

jturuk New Member

__
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I have never done it on my Bike but used to On My Big truck's
  3. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

I've never sent oil from a H-D engine in for analysis, as you don't have to concern yourself with such things as anti-freeze in the oil & you can see what you need to see from the drained oil, spark plugs, etc. No sense trying to "re-invent the wheel" either - the H-D design has been around so long that what works, what doesn't & why has been firmly established - including with synthetic oils.

The only thing different I tried that worked in a street / road bike was while running Red Line synthetic, change the filter @ the normal interval (around 3000 miles), add enough new oil to replace what came out with the filter change, then next time change both oil & filter. You might get away with changing filter only twice then both oil & filter the 3rd time, but I haven't gone that far.

Oil doesn't "wear out", but the "additive package" in it sure does - i.e.,, when the detergents have done all they can do, you have to change, even though the oil is still lubricating & cooling. How far can you go before the oil is contaminated enough to replace? (Due to moisture, "blow-by", etc. in it) That depends on how, when & where you ride, what condition the engine is in, etc. - there is no "one size fits all" answer to that question.
  4. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

better off spending that money on fresh oil. sounds like overkill. you may be needing some sort of therapy:eek:
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Blackstone makes a kit where you can get an analysis,
    lots of folks do it but it's probably overkill, unless you just like doing that stuff..

Blackstone Labs