1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Oil Breather Pissing Oil Out--help

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by gumby321, Aug 4, 2006.

1. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

LAS VEGAS WITH MY WIFE OF 25 YEARS WITH NO KIDS
    I Have Been Working On My Bike These Last Few Weeks. I Adjusted The Clutch Last Night From Inside The Durby Cover After Putting On A Chrome Side Cover. Then Started To Work On My Lights Since I Got A Badland Kit For My New Lights. I Didn't Cut Any Lines Yet All I Did Was Locate All My Wires And Noted Which Were Which.
    This Morning I Went To Start The Bike And I Saw Oil Pissing Out.
    At First I Didn't Know Where It Was Coming From. Then I Relized It Was Coming Out Of My Breather Tube That Is On The Back Plate Of My New Carb. Can Anyone Tell Me What Is Happening Here? I Haven't Touched The Oil Pump. I Did Change An Oil Line Because It Was Leaking. I Went From A Braided Line To A Regular Black Hose. I Have Started The Bike Many Times After I Did That But Now This Is Happening. I Also Have Ridin The Bike To Check To See If My Clutch Was Still Slipping. Anyone Have Any Ideas For Me? Gumby 321 Peace
  2. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Hey Gumby,

I think you said earlier that you have an FXR, but, I don’t remember what year. If you have an EVO engine (years 85 thru 99) then Direct Parts here has a fix for this. They call it the cure. I’m sure CD will pipe in here soon, but, go to their tech section and search for “cure” it will explain all about what needs to be done. I used it on mine.

Now, most of this oil in normal conditions builds up a little bit in the line to the carb and then starts looking worse than it is. Clean it all up and then go for a short ride. If you are not puddle-ing oil again then you have a normal leak condition that the “cure” can fix. If you are still getting a lot of oil, I can’t help you and you should go see the stealership.

I usually got it bad on long highway cruising in hot weather. The oil thins out and it gets sucked into the intake. The other thing I noticed on mine was that it only came from the front head. I never had problems with the rear head.

Good luck. I’ll be passing by Vegas tomorrow at about 10:00am. I’m trying to get past Salt Lake City for the first day.

Later,
    Tom
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Just a thought did you recently change your oil and maybe over fill it?
  4. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

Hey Tom, Thanks for the info.. I haven't heard from CD yet but I will send him A note...When coming through here come early..it is very hot. Thanks Gumby
  5. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

no oil change

I havent done an oil change yet but was going to do one as soon as i was finished with all my other tasks. Looks like I will be doing it now. Maybe that might cure my ills....thanks for the response..Gumby 321 peace
  6. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

Or You Can Just Get The Breather Kit And Skip The Going To The Air Cleaner. Put The Little Guy On And Mount It Down Low.
  7. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

Great News

Thanks For That Suggestion. I Think That Is The Way To Go For Sure. Right Now I Just Let The Oil Piss Out. I Was Prepared For The Mess. Finnally It Stopped On It's Own. I Was Talking To A Few Of My Buds And They Asked Me About The Oil Capacity Of The Bike. It Says It Will Take 3 Qts. Now What You Have To Remember Here I Have An Fxr P. There Is No Info In My Manual On The P Model. They Have Every Other Fxr You Can Name But The P In There.
    So When I Do Anything Weather It's Oil Or Torq Specs. I Really Am Not 100% Sure If What I Am Doing Is Correct.
    After It Stopped Pissing Out. I Did An Oil Change. The Book Says 3 Qts. I Only Put In 2 And 1/3 Rd. Thats With Putting Some In The Filter. I Let The Bike Run For Awhile And It Is Still Right Where It Should Be On The Dip Stick. A Mystery For Sure. So Now I Will Wait To See What My 91 Evo Will Do. She Runs Real Strong But I Haven't Put That Many Miles On Her Since I Got Her A Month Or So Ago. I Have Been Adding And Subtracting Parts To Her. Also With The Heat Here In Vegas It Is Not Much Fun To Ride During The Day. For That Matter It's Not That Fun At Night Either. So I Just Have Been Putting New Lights On And A Badland Kit To Make All My Rear Lights Running Lights. Just Trying Do To My Own Personal Touches To Her Before My First Run. Adding Chrome Goodies And Those Little Check Ups On The Wiring To Make Sure All Is O.k. As You Know On The P It Came With All Sorts Of Gizzmoes. Lights And Sirens And Other Items That Are No Longer On The Bike. So I Have Been Trying To Get Rid Of Wires That I Find That Are No Longer Needed. A Task I Can Say For Sure. I Wish That I Had A Wireing Diagram For The P. Like I Said They Have Everyone But The P Diagram In The Manual. So It Is Trial And Error Thats For Sure. Thanks For The Breather Idea. It Makes Much More Sense To Get It Down Low And Out Of The Way.
    Speak To You Soon, Gumby321 Peace
  8. CD

CD Guest

1991 Big Twins are not head breathers they still breathe through the crank case out a 1/4" pipe hole just inboard of the oil pump. The "Cure" was designed for 1993 and later EVO's

The oil tank was always the same capacity and the tank only had minor changes as far as I know.

The problem you are having sounds more like a sumping problem. The return check valve may not be seating and oil drains back into the crank case. When you first fire up all that sumped oil pukes out the breather.

If your oil seems low after the bike has sit for a while, do not add oil until after you have run the engine up to temp. Then check the oil again if the oil is quite a bit higher, you probably need to re seat the return check ball.
  9. isajef

isajef New Member

Breather

Hey Gumby,

I have had the same problem with my custom softail, I had installed a breather and was having the same problem with oil pissing out. 2 things were happening, if the bike was sitting for a while without running as soon as I turned her over it would piss out oil from the breather so maybe don't let the bike sit for to long without running it, my custom guy said that their is a little ball inside the oil pump and if it is not sitting in the hole properly the oil would pass directly through the breather.

"Parts"
  10. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

Thanks For All Your Help

To All Of You Who Have Responded To My Problems With My 91 Fxr P I Want To Thank You For All Your Help. Last Night We All Went For A Run. There Were About 8 Of Us. We Hit Hogs And Heffers Down In Las Vegas. We Had A Great Time And Meet Many People With An Assortment Of Bikes.
    From The New To The Very Old Was Represented. There Was A Bike There With No Flash At All. Just Looked Like An Old Sporty From The 60's. Turned Out To Be A Very Early 70's Sportster. The Guy Who Owned It Has A Shop In Town. Everyone Was Just Curious About This Bike With A Kick Start,dirty And Bailing Wire And All But It Was Just A Thing Of Buity Being So Old And From Right Out Of Those Drive In's We Used To Go See With Jack Nickolson Being The Lowest Paid Actor In The Movie Because He Didn't Own A Bike.
    He Came Out And Bam One E.z. Kick The Bike Started And Sounded Just Great. He Took Off And We Will Run Into Him Again For Sure.
    As For My Bike She Was Just A Dream. I Am Running Rich With The New Mikuni I Put On, But At Least Alot Of The Smoking Has Stopped I Was Told. So Now It Looks Like I Will Have To Get The Bike To A Shop To Figure Out What Will Be The Carbs. But Set Up. Speak To You All Soon. Sorry Tom About Your Problem I Hope You Worked It Out. Gumby 321 Peace
  11. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

thanks to all

i have fixed the problem with the oil pissing out. thank you all. gumby321 peace:D
  12. stevenh

stevenh New Member

Hey Gumby 321, so what was the problem after all?
    Was it too much oil?

I try to learn as much as I can and this site has taught me a lot.

Thanks, Steve
  13. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

Hey Steve

you know i really don't know. i just let it run out. i didn't do an oil change until after the problem was fixed. CD had mentioned that there is a ball in the oil pump that might have needed to reseat. others said some other things. my bud just told me to let it run for awhile so i did. the end of 1 problem is now over. i was riding the bike before all this happened checking the clutch. after i put on a side tranny cover i had to go into the durby side and break free the nut there. then run the allen screw in then out. after that i did the oil change but only put in 2 and 1/3 qts of oil. it calls for 3 so maybe the guy i bought the bike from put 3 in and it just started to do it's thing. i really don't have a difinitive answer. i am just glad it's done and over with. hit hogs and heffers the other night and had a great time. now i am waiting for it to cool off a bit to do some serious runs into l.a. and into san diago. nice runs into the back mountains there. gumby 321 peace
  14. edgehaha

edgehaha New Member

gumby321,

I live in San Diego and I know all the nice roads. If you need a little advice for places to go. Drop me a line.

Edge
  15. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

Hey Edge

thanks for that heads up. i lived in l.a. and orange county for 30 years before moving to hell, not by any beach. i always got on my ride on a saturday and headed either towards the hideout or for some apple pie a few mile futher down. going over i think 78 or 79 was always a great run that let you out into palm desert. here in vegas there are not to many interesting places like those. atleast i haven't found them yet. i would ride alone for over 300 miles on a saturday just for the apple pie. i can't remember the name of that town right now. it was a great ride though. there is a run up here in sept. on the 14th to 17th. should be lots of fun. then all of us go down to glendale for the love run. we have made some big donations in past years so we get all those gifts that are given out if you donate over a certain amount of money. look for me. i will be the one with the black and white cop bike out of utah. logo is still on the tank and it is staying on, unless i am forced to remove it. so far i have not been hasseled by the man yet. i am hoping i can get away with it.
    i have yet to see any other police bike with the logo left on them. thanks for the offer, gumby 321 peace
  16. edgehaha

edgehaha New Member

The apple pie place is called Julian and it is a great jump off point for all the good rides around the county. You can take 79 to Sunrise Hwy or 78 to anza Borrego desert or take 78 to cross road of Dudley bakery, take 79 toward Lake Henshaw and have a few beers at the Hide Out. Enjoy your trip!
  17. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

Thank You

This C.R.S. is getting worse everyday. Old age sucks...finding my keys at times has become a chore in itself. Some needs to invent the clapper for keys. When you clap they say " over here stupid" ...Yes Julian a great place to ride too and spend a few hours for sure. BIker friendly town along with the HIdeout. If you don't know where it is you can buzz right by it for sure. Living here in Las Vegas now there is no kind of diversity. I loved hitting the mountains and back roads of 78 and 79. going up over the hill and ending in Palm Desert. I lived in Seal Beach for many years and that was my take off point to either North down P.C.H. or South to your neck of the woods. I sure do miss the beach and those long putts down into Malibu past all the biker spots along the way. Then making the right turn to head to the Rock Store from P.C.H. Then after that we would hit the cantina...Those were some great runs and great places thats for sure. I just hope in time I can find places of that caliber here in the desert. speak to you soon, Gumby 321 peace