1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Oil change prior to winter storage

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by jturuk, Oct 8, 2008.

1. jturuk

jturuk New Member

Hi all

The Harley service manual recommends this be done.......Why?

Thanks

John
  2. steveb

steveb Active Member

What I have been told is that it is better for the engine to have clean oil on all of the parts when it is going to sit . After working in a machine shop for 30 years I have seen dirty oil sitting on metal surfaces leave a permanent stain in the surface kind of a corrosive action. I don't know if it will hurt anything but I won't take that chance on the engine. Oil is cheap insurance.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

makes sence.....i personally dont have that problem.....lol lol

when i lived in the north, i would still fire the bike up, ride down the street and back at least once a week. i lived the the country, no salt or chem's on the road........:)
  4. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

what the heck don't be talking winter yet:gah: , dang get warmer clothes, keep riding till the ice sets up then you can ruin my day:roflmao:
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Old oil contains the contaminants that the detergents and additives were designed to remove in daily use, not to mention if any moisture were to build up in the old oil

Short motor running is a no-no in winter, you havet to get oil up to 170+ or so for it to start working properly, so if you start it and let it idle 5 minutes in 30 degree weather you are not doing any good, plus you'll let moisture build up in the exhaust - rust

Fresh oil at least won't have any old schmutz suspended in it.

If you are really anal - The Scavenger would be good to have to use before storage.

I got one just to see what it would do, and it works pretty well, JMO the hose that comes with it is too short so I've got to get a longer piece of hose but you won't believe the amount of black oil that is pumped out before the clean oil comes through.

For storage it would be good, and I use it about every other oil change, heck I don't have anything else I can do to the bike so I need something to screw with.....

Yeah it's pricey but it is a nice piece of USA made stuff and it works.

This was not a paid for promotional advertisement and I was not solicited by or promoted by ACORN in any way....:D
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2008