1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Oil change to Synthetic?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Roadster guy, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

Here we go again, another dyno oil vs syn oil question. Sorry in advance!
    Changed cases and rocker boxes on Sportster this winter, since I began to drive this year I have had a noticeable tic in the rocker boxes. I find it most noted between 2000-3000 rpms, and not until oil warms up, around 120F on the oil tank gauge. I've had it back to the dealer twice since to ensure I'm not doing any damage by riding it, they say it is normal. I had a buddy ride it the other day who knows the bike from riding it previous years, he is like me in that he does not find the noise was there before. I also find the exhaust note has changed this year and seems deeper than it was. He is not sure about that one.
    My dealer has recommended against my decision to replace the lifters, say I'd be wasting money on a problem that does not exist.
    Does anyone think a change to synthetic may help relieve this annoying top end clicky noise? Not trying to be picky, just want things as reliable and lubricated as possible. I have always been all for mineral oils, but maybe the winds of change are beginning to blow.
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Try it, won't hurt, it's just oil made differently and
    it holds up better and longer, reduces heat etc.

Run mobil 1 Vtwin 20/50, it's designed for Vtwins
    and I run it in the primary and trans per Mobil 1 as
    it's designed for all three.

Worst thing that happens is it doesn't reduce the sound.

If that doesn't work this winter pull the rockers and check
    alignment and clearances, you might be just lightly
    touching something.
  3. Roadster guy

Thanks for the oil tip, I'll pick some up this weekend. Atlanticade starts in a few days and I don't want to tie it up until that is over.
    I'm thinking of the same thing with the noise, riding season is so short here I was willing to pay the dealer to repair it instead of myself due to 5-6 hrs them vs. several days to a couple weeks for me because of work around the house and job. A winter project will likely be the way I go if I bother at all.
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  4. hotroadking

Well they are telling you it's not worth tearing into
    so unless you suspect the dealer to be a fool or poor service
    techs then I'd go with them on advice for now until the winter
    and don't bang it off the limiter if you think something is a tick off....:p

Syn oil won't hurt.
  5. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Don't think its anoil resolve. I think its your bike telling you to up grade to a big twin.
  6. Roadster guy

Should have taken your advice a year or so ago. Feeling the pull of a Dyna in my blood. Talked trade in value at my last visit to the dealer, chilled that blood right quick...Need to run Sporty a bit longer to get all the money invested out of my system. JB will likely end up the same way after his engine builds if he isn't careful!!
  7. hotroadking

Just change the oil, ride it and enjoy it,
    if you still hear a ticking, pull the baffles.....

All HD's tick a bit, it's just part of the deal
  8. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Sporster to dyna is nite and day. Can't believe i ever rode a sportster. Couldn't do it now,i'm spoilt.:)
  9. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Could be a pushrod hitting the tube making the tic tic,when you put it back together maybe they didn't line up exactly the way they were before and doesn't clear until the motor warms and expands the little bit they grow,then gives clearance
  10. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Pull the top rocker boxes off loosen the lowers and the rocker supports pull the rocker assembly forward a bit and towards the intake tight it back up .roll the motor over with the back tire make sure all the rocker arms are in the center of the valve tips as you do it .if so button it up your done your rockers may not be centered since you replaced the uppers and lowers.
  11. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Ticking isn't normal in a Sportster. I know this because I own one.:cool: When you readjust the alignment as BaggerPaul mentioned, see if there is any side to side play just to make sure that those didn't change.
  12. Roadster guy

Well, my trade in value makes me see why you have two H-Ds, JB. Think I'll keep this one, check forecast for a rainy week, and follow BP and Lucifer's tips once things slow up at work. I'll switch to synthetic first for a bit and see what happens.
    Just bugs me when Dealer trained techs say it is normal and I know it did not do this before. I guess it was a perfect bike before and I made it only normal now. I was thinking it may be a noise that may have existed in these rocker boxes previous to my using them.
  13. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I don't think putting Synthtic oil will change much for you. Can't hurt but I'm with Johnny on the Sporster noise. It's also cheaper to repair if there is an issue than buying a new bike.
  14. hotroadking

Can you get a mechanics stethoscope
    then you can focus in on each area to
    listen for the nose, they are not expensive
    at a local parts store
  15. Roadster guy

Already have a stethoscope, and also tried the shotglass method for the heck of it.
    I find the noise primarily to be in the front rocker box, originally thought it was a lifter issue, but it is not cyclical like one weak lifter would be, seems unlikely that all would be bad at the same time . The more I think about it, BPs recommendation of trying to shift the rockershaft alignment seems like the thing to try next after synthetic oil. I did not think they were that "moveable" when torqued down, expected things to just fall into their home position.
    It is not a horrible noise, just one that was not present before the swap, and with the stock hydraulic lifters I would not have thought it would sound like this.
  16. hotroadking

Could be a rocker arm tapping the top,
    could be the pushrod flexing and hitting the sides

ON big twins you can move the assembly around a bit
    you'd think they'd be exact on the alignment with pins and
    such but not HD...

BTW when using the shot glass method it's best to not
    fill the glass with bourbon a few times before you use it.
  17. Roadster guy

I guess if they had alignment dowels that would be one less excuse the service guys would have to cover the noises they make. No dowels, "hey, maybe it's this, now leave me alone" mentality.
    Actually the guys here locally have been very understanding of the issue, I just wish someone locally could have offered some possibilities of the source. I get better results here usually. Maybe you guys should apply for financial aid from the head office bean counters at H-D!
  18. hotroadking

can't that would mess up my unemployment and ebt benefits..
  19. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I find if you fill and refill and refill the glass,eventually you don't hear anything...:D
  20. hotroadking

Yep that's why you do that after you fix it