1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Oil cooler

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by RoadKingBlack2010, Aug 27, 2010.

1. RoadKingBlack2010

RoadKingBlack2010 New Member

Would it really make a temperature difference with a good oil cooler on my Road King. Or would I be better off going to www.nighrider.com and buying there product.:confused:
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Is your bike stock? What size engine? Do you tow and two-up on it? Are you into parade riding? Why do you want to reduce the temp?

Personally I would not go oil-cooled on a Harley unless I was routinely putting over 400lbs of rider/baggage weight on it. Coolers add another failure point for little - if any -benefit to the average rider. And nothing other than shielding (by clothes/chaps or pipe shields) will much reduce the heat the rider feels come off the powerplant.

But others may disagree.........
    :cheers:
  3. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Hey there Red it has been a long time since I have seen ya on.

This is a great post, I was looking into an oil cooler or my bike and I also think that it is useless unless your getting temps in the upper 220"s. I am not getting even close to that. :cool:
  4. RoadKingBlack2010

RoadKingBlack2010 New Member

Just thought I would ask you guys nothing else. But wouldn't it be good for anyones bike to keep the temp way down.
  5. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Short answer is no.

Engines are designed to operate within a given temperature range, which impacts sensors, fuel and fluids, too. "Way down" is not a goal - maintaining the engine's temp in the specified range is the goal. Only if you are having overtemperature conditions is heat reduction important. So unless you have modified the engine well beyond its original configuration or are operating it in a way that its air-cooling process can't keep up with (such as being the Parade King of Dubai), aftermarket cooling is likely to provide less than miniscule value - but it will cost plenty and give ya something else to break if ya hit a dog, rock, rabbit or such.
    :cheers:
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Oil has to get up to operating temps, in the summer that's pretty quick
    but if you get a clear roads sunny day in January and go out to ride in 40 degree weather
    it can take longer.

Oil coolers will reduce the operating temps on the bike, so will a good tune by
    a shop with a dyno that knows HD's and you explain that you not only want a decent running bike with good fuel mileage but you would like it to be cooler at Idle then the tuner can hit your goals, vs. gimmie all the power you can get scotty tunes.

So both work well, a cooler won't hurt, just get one with a thermostat to control flow until the temps are up to proper levels..

Try Mobil1 synthetic 20W-50 V-twin oil first see if it helps.
  7. ReeseSS

ReeseSS New Member

I am glad I put a oil cooler on here in SW Florida. I also had a black cover made to go over it when the weather is cooler.
  8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i am old school........every harley i have owned for the last 40+ years has had an oil cooler on it. when the weather is cold i put a cover on them. as far as leaking or a new place to leak, that can happen where any oil line is attached to a barb. just have to do a regular maintenance on a few more parts....lol
    most folks take their temp reading from the tank, with one of those "stick in the tank" gauges. the temp there will be lower than what is actually in the engine. i take my temps from the return to the tank. with a cooler my temps run 200/220 +/-. and this is just relative as no two gauges will read the same. with out they were up around 250/260....with 20/50 syn. i believe in coolers, especially in the south. and i cant get much further south unless i move to mexico!!!! lol lol the moco designed the engine to run without a cooler....a lot do with great results. i use them cause i like them and everyone has opinions.........
  9. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

HotRoadKing, you mentioned using 20/50 Mobil 1 VTWIN. Is there any diff. between VTWIN and regular 15/50 Mobil 1 syn.? The reason I ask is because I can buy the 5 qt. jug of Mobil 1 15/50 at WalMart for less than $20. That works out to be about $4/qt. which is a great deal for such a highly rated synthetic oil. I've been using it for a few years without any problems, but it doesn't say anything about using it in motorcycles.
  10. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Don't need one up here in my country but I can sure see why you would want one down there in Chucks country where you get that 3000 degree heat as Hot put it. :)
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  11. chucktx

big difference....vtwin and any motorcycle oil is made for air cooled engines. if you have a small community airport near by you can usually purchase their oil at a good price. the regular oil for automobiles is designed for water cooled engines. they dont get as hot as an aircooled engine and dont last as long. that said....if your stuck in the boonies, and have to have some oil.......any oil is better than no oil.................just change it out as soon as you can......i have run 90wt gear oil in a shovel head. broke an oil line in the boonies and that was all i could get. smelled a bit bad, but got me home will no ill effects to the engine...........
  12. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I run oil coolers on my bikes but I live in the south & grew up in the south west so always had the need , the bike I have now went the longest without a cooler 4 years & now has one on it (thanks chuck) & I have covered them in the colder months & will make a cover for this one now installed
  13. JohnnyBiker

Those oil coolers that have the thermostat would eliminate the need to cover them.
  14. 1steven

1steven New Member

I ride a 2007 Sportster 1200. I bought it new. This is my first HD. I have been riding for 50 years. Mostly off road. Have owned a variety of bikes, street and dirt.
    I installed an HD OIL COOLER on my bike after I had it for about a year. Oh yea, I live in So. Cal. and I ride alot on desert roads, as there is a lack of traffic.
    It took me some time before I decided on an OIL COOLER. Since I live in Cal. and everything we get out here is strangled for fuel (the powers that be, are trying to save the world). Since fuel in an air cooled engine is part of the cooling process, I felt that my bike needed a cooler today more than at anytime in the past. I know that HD has been building and, selling Motorcycles for over a hundred years and who am I to question why they opted not to install an OIL COOLER as OEM? But when HD came out with the XR1200, and it had an O.C. as OEM, that is when I purchased and install an OEM H.D. cooler.
    One of my friends also rides XL1200, we both purchased a temp gauge just because. My bike runs 25 to 60 degrees cooler, depending on conditions.
  15. chucktx

some times it takes the moco a while to come around!! lol lol
  16. 1steven

1steven New Member

And what office are you running for???? I think I have, and am still hearing that type of rhetoric.. See you at the next rally.
  17. chucktx

:roflmao:
  18. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

:roflmao::roflmao:
  19. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Well the factory states that 20W-50 is the recommended oil for normal operating temps check the manual it does allow other grades especially in colder climates for easier winter starting...

Mobil 1 auto has different additives and is 15W-50 but it will work, it is just missing some of the anti-wear additives and the ones the auto oil has are at lower quantity (PPM) than in V-twin.

Look dyno oil is fine, run Vtwin dyno, and change it at the proper intervals and you'll be fine, syn just tends to last longer, hold up it's original properties better (meaning the additives work longer) and therefore it keeps things better lubricated and thus, cooler..

Yeah it's a bit more, V-twin, there are other syn's for v-twins out there
  20. JohnnyBiker

I would take this advice. I have learned that when HotRoadKing speaks on these matters, it is GREAT INFORMATION!!! I have been fighting the synthetic thing for a long time, but after my next break in, I am going to switch to synthetic. Great Post!!