1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Oil cooler

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by gabby, May 3, 2008.

1. gabby

gabby New Member

on a 2000 fxstb, there are 2 plugs beside the oil filter. is this where i can connect to oil cooler?
  2. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

If you need an oil cooler & you may not if the engine is tuned right & you're using a quality heavy grade oil, contact ECS Engineering: ECS ENGINEERING

No, I don't paid to advertise & stand to gain nothing if you deal with ECS, but I happen to know the owner personally & have dealt with him for years. 40+ years H-D experience & also a mechanical engineer.

The ECS oil cooler is the best there is & I've seen it installed on bikes that were running hot due to climate (friend of mine in Indonesia has one) or poor airflow around the engine - like the Ultra Classic with fairing lowers the cooler was tested on. They set the throttle @ 2000 rpm & left that bike running for 1/2 hour parked - the oil temp never even got close to 200 degrees & that bike always ran hot before the cooler was installed.

I don't have one because my oil temps are usually 160-180 & never go over 200, but I've got Sportsters tuned right & use ONLY straight-weight oil, never less than SAE 50. 60 weight in June, July, August & I even have some 70 for the race engine. But some bikes do need an oil-cooler & if yours does, call ECS.
  3. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Hey Art...I went to their website and didn't see anything about oil coolers?
  4. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

The cooler is not on that site & is not advertised for a reason - the BT riders in North Carolina are buying them just about as fast as Earl can make them.
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

gabby, sorry, i cant answer your question either.......but, if you have your manual it will show the oilflow through the engine. if oil is directed to one of the plugs and and away from the other one, then yes you can connect to a cooler. any cooler is worth the money in my opinion. i went to the auto parts store and bought a cooler from a powersteering pump and installed it. dropped my temps by 25 degrees. a cooler is most effecient when an airflow is flowing across it. there are many different designs of coolers, and a few homebrews that work well. let us know how you make out, have fun!!!!!!!:)
  6. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

:confused: what does "BT" stand for?
  7. chucktx

Big Twin
  8. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Has anybody used or know anyone who has those oil coolers that look like A big A & hook to both front legs of the frame ? I've seen them on the bay for about $50 , But not up close
  9. chucktx

i have talked to a few folk that have them, they liked them.....just be sure you have fender clearance when the forks are fully compressed with the wheel turned............especially on an fl................
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

IIRC those two plugs are because of the way the part is cast, and are like 'freeze' plugs on a small block.

If you tap in you bypass the filter in the flow not good

The HD oil cooler works extremely well and bolts right up, it also has a thermostat so it won't come on when you don't need it and will come on when you do need it.
  11. gabby

gabby New Member

oil plugs

i have bought an "a" shaped cooler, fits on front legs. trying to plumb it simply. thanks for the bypass info. was about to do just that.:witsend:
  12. chucktx

good deal gabby, keep us posted and post some pics!!!! progression pics if ya can. might give someone else a bit of help!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
  13. cowboy

Yes gabbt pic's would be good , as that's the type I'am looking at , chuck I dont think I want my forks bottomed out & turning at the same time :eek:
  14. chucktx

i dont either cowboy, but better to be safe than sorry.......i installed a cooler on my electraglide, and went to test it.....hit a bump and dented the front fender...........changed coolers..........:D :)
  15. cowboy

Man was it one of those A style coolers ? I don't need a dent in my fender have enough in my head :D
  16. chucktx

no it wasnt an A........but one i had on one of my shovels a while back.....i went to the auto parts and got a powersteering cooler.........:)
  17. hotroadking

If you have the cooler all you need is an adapter, one of the better companies is Jagg-Setrab

Used on on buddies 98 RK, bolted up fine, inital unit had a problem and internally welded the nut to the housing, couldn't get it off, took a while and finally got it out, long story short they didn't question it, and replaced it with a new one.

That ones been fine.

Usa Made

If you live in an area with larger temp swings like winter and summer (vs FL or AZ) then you should get one with a thermostat,

If you live in a hot area all the time you don't need the thermostat models, they have all kinds of adapters.
  18. chucktx

i dont have a thermostat on mine, but i do use a homemade leather cover when the temps get below 60.......:)
  19. hotroadking

Usually I just put on gloves and a jacket, but if you feel the need to use a leather cover is that like a big leather garbage bag or something LOL

Yep a cover will do or you can get the switch for a manual on off like you see on the Jagg link I put in the post above.
  20. fxdxsteve

fxdxsteve Active Member

I use the leather snap-on ponytail covers on my A type cooler in the winter and when not using them I snap them on my apes I also used the jagg oilcooler adapter on my dyna it makes it a little tight to get the filter out but oil lines are a lot shorter I had a friend that runs a forklift co. make up my oil lines with swivel fittings so no hose clamps