1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

OIL COOLERS Revisited -

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by AZroaddust, Jun 12, 2008.

1. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

It's finally warming up around here. It was 105 deg. F the other day and I was putsing around town with a top speed of 45, but lots of stop lights etc. and 25 -35 MPH areas included . This took place for over an hour.

As soon as I dismounted I checked the oil temp and it was just under 150 deg. F. That's only an ambient to actual oil temp differential of around 45 Deg. Not bad I would say.

I have the billet cooler that mounts on the front frame on a 95 XLH 883.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

oil coolers DO work...................:)
  3. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I got an oil cooler before I went to the 100th anniversary celebration because I figured there'd be a lot of lines to get places. It wasn't bad, but I'm glad I did it anyway. Somehow I managed to get 70,000 miles on my bike without losing the cam shoes, which has amazed everyone. The mechanic said that my motor is in great shape. So clearly the oil cooler and synthetic oil hasn't hurt.
  4. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

What temperature would you expect on a TC when the outside temp is around 90 degrees? I have one of the temp gauges on the dip stick. It says mine in running 210-220 normally. I ran 20 miles last week on the interstate at 70-80 mph and when I pulled off, it was up to 230. That seems kind of hot to me. I don't think it is running lean (43 MPG) but I don't know how accurate the gauge is either. I do use synthetic oil.
    Thanks,