1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Oil Coolers

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jul 28, 2010.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I have been thinking of doing a lot of things to my bike. One thing that I am absolutely going to do is stroke and cam it. Since I have come to this decision, I thought that I should probably put an oil cooler on it since the temps here in Minnesota do get really close to triple digits.

Here is the cooler that I have found that I like. Has anyone used it or know of anyone that has? Do you have suggestions for a better or different one?

Jagg Slimline Black Oil Cooler Kit
  2. Chrome

Chrome New Member

Yes, I was just looking at the Jagg yesterday....love the slim look!!
  3. JohnnyBiker

So do I, especially since my bike is not that big anyways. What did you think of the set up as a whole?
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Waist of money for you JB, they really don't need em all that much. If you were pulling a trailer I would recommend it or living down in AZ, New Mex, or Texas but otherwise I don't think its all that needed.
  5. JohnnyBiker

Even after I upgrade the engine to the way that I want to? It gets hot here in Minnesota in the summer. Yesterday it was 95 with a hotter heat index.
  6. FLHTbiker

Its been in the upper 90's all last week and the coming week is going to be hot but still even my Springer that is built up with cams don't need it. Just do do stupid stuff like parades.
  7. JohnnyBiker

Parades???? Not for me anymore!!
  8. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

tough call on the cooler. You might have some days where the oil cooler would be beneficial but your riding season is a bit like ours..cool mornings on the shoulder season..I'd be running good synthetic oil first and foremost. If you oil doesn't get hot enough to burn off the condensation..short trips and stuff it doesn't do your motor much good either.
  9. JohnnyBiker

I can see your point on the colder weather, but this particular oil cooler has a bypass valve that serves as a manual thermostat that you can turn on when the temps drop to 55 or below, or probably any temp for that matter.
  10. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

That's good..I spend the extra on the oil. I'm hoping Art chimes in he's pretty good on the Sporty stuff. I pull a trailer with my bike but I'm not sure if I need an oil coolet my bike is 7 years old and has the stage one flash in it so it isn't as lean as the stockers are.
  11. JohnnyBiker

I had some carb work done myself, it is a lot better running than what it was, and it still ran well. i am not a synthetic kind of guy. I have always used conventional oil in everything and haven't had any trouble. Now that my break in is done on my bike, I think that I am still going to run the 20w/50 oil. I think that thicker is better.
  12. FLHTbiker

:rolleyes: OK
  13. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

synthetics just handle the heat better as far as I know. This is the first bike I've run synthetic full time on and it's been good.
  14. JohnnyBiker

I guess I will have wait and see. I guess I did fail to mention that the engine work that I am looking to do to my bike includes making the bike an 88 ci displacement. Then on top of that, camming and stroking. This is why I am thinking of the oil cooler.
  15. RaKs toy shop

RaKs toy shop Active Member

As long as your moving most of the time it will be fine, my old Evo had high compression pistons, a radical cam, and a radical ignition with a quick and hard advance. Even riding in Arizona in 112 heat, my oil temp never got more than about 230. That’s hot for a car but air cooled engines are a little different. Just run good oil and keep it changed according to the riding conditions and it will be ok.
  16. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Oil cooler won't hurt it..
    Be sure you get one with a built in thermostat, because heat being the enemy you
    are trying to defeat, is also an ally as oil doesn't start working properly until it's up to temp, meaning the additives that clean carbon and other things from within do not
    start activating until you get up in the high 100's to low 200 degree temps.

An open oil cooler in the fall in the 50 degree temps would not allow the oil to get up
    to operating temps at all or it would take a long time.

A thermostat will cure that.

JMO I would switch to synthetics, first it's cheaper to start that way, second they are known to keep temps down about 20 degrees from the get go, and protects the engine better.
  17. JohnnyBiker

The highest temp that I have seem my oil at is 200. I know that this is not really all that hot, but I guess I like the idea of having that extra added security.

So is it a thumbs up on the JAGG oil cooler or is there a better one?
  18. hotroadking

JAgg is good, if you want one go for it but get the thermostat....

with temps in the 200's you JMO are wasting money....
    Best spent on cams, rockers or some other go fast part...
  19. JohnnyBiker

Yeah I like to go faster but I was talking to a good friend and he made a really good point, and I never really thought of it this way. I would like to go faster and all of that, but I do need to consider that wife is going to be riding this bike and I need to keep it somewhat tame for her, unless she asks for more power, than OK.

Since you mentioned cams, what would you use for this bike? I am looking to increase the lower end power?
  20. hotroadking

There are better sporty guys on here than I for cam selection,
    hopefully they will chime in but I would leave it 1200 and put in a set
    of buell heads and cams and it will really help wake it up.