1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

oil Leak in The Air Filter Cover

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Oscar Softluxe, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Oscar Softluxe

Oscar Softluxe New Member

I just want to know how to eliminate the oil leak inside the air cleaner cover.
    I got the K&N RK 3909 for softail. Do I need to plug it up or any aftermarket that I could put in? Any input is appreciated?

Thanks
    Oscar
    SOFTLUXE
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

ya dont want to plug it up as it is part of the breathing system of the engine. if the engine is in good shape and the plumbing on the intake is done correctly you shouldnt see a leak. there are a lot of different kits for the control of the breather oil. check with direct parts at the top of the page......and they will get you lined out. have fun!!!
    chuck
  3. Oscar Softluxe

Just clean my air filter today with the K&N cleaner. I saw some oil inside. CD.....what is the best way to eliminate the oil? Can you give me some aftermarket breather kit for air cleaner? Or give me the site. Thanks....
  4. Seahag

Seahag New Member

Extended high rpm riding can make nearly all bikes spit enough oil out the breathers to drip from the air filter.

Some people choose to run their oil a bit lower on the dipstick, which is supposed to help.

Another way to treat the symptoms is to use one of the wifes panty liners inside the air cleaner cover. When it gets saturated, pull it out and stick another one on.
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

"Another way to treat the symptoms is to use one of the wifes panty liners inside the air cleaner cover. When it gets saturated, pull it out and stick another one on."

YUUUCCKKKKKK!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :)
    chuck
  6. Oscar Softluxe

How about if I installed the Kuryakyn crankcase breather? It says that excess oil runs back to the enginevia the head breather. I saw the pictutre and it looks nice and made out of chrome too.

Oscarodster
  7. Seahag

Seahag New Member

Ease up Chuck....I mean you're supposed to use a CLEAN one:p From those using the method, they claim it really does work quite good.;)
  8. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

I'M DEALING WITH THE SAME HASSLE, EXCEPT WHEN I PUT THE 8" FREE FLOW ON MY SPORTY, UNLIKE BEFORE WHEN THEY HAD THE BREATHER DOWN AT THE OIL PUMP, OUR MASTER ENGINERS? AS YOU ALL NKOW IF YOUR FABRICATERS.:confused: THEY PUT THE BREATHER AT THE MOUNTING BOLTS TO THE AIR CLEANER. SO THE 30$ FIX I'VE IGNORED FOR 3 YEARS AND HAVE OIL SPRAYING IN LITTLE AMOUNTS ON THE BOTTOM OF MY TANK AND HEADS AND ALL OVER THE FRONT OF MY CARB. I DID MAKE MY OWN FILTERS TO SCREW IN THE HOLES.. THAT'S MY NEXT FIX.
  9. aaron

aaron New Member

On the sportsters if you take the umbrella valves out of the rocker boxes and extend the breather hole in the rocker box up till about .100 under the valve cover. You can use a piece of tubing epoxied into the box to do this. It works well and all but eliminates the oil in the air cleaner.
    Everyone, This is normal on these pigs. A little on a big twin and alot sometimes on a sporty if you ride over 80 for a period. Deal with it and enjoy the ride.
  10. CD

CD Guest

Taking the umbrella valves out is not a good idea IMHO. In our testing, removing the umbrella valves only increased the amount of oil in the chamber and it was pushed out the vents. The umbrella valve is intended to deflect oil before entering the chamber and to give a momentary drop in pressure allowing oil to drain back.

If you study the design of the EVO style chambers, you will see a couple of the design flaws. Your idea about extending the vent height is exactly what we developed in 1993. I would not suggest using epoxy in an engine though.

http://www.directparts.com/ccp/cure.htm

When you lay the nose breather EVO / XL rocker boxes on a flat surface, you can see that the design looks good. You have a drain back hole, an umbrella valve and a raised lip to prevent oil from reaching the vent.

Place a little oil in the chamber and you can immediately see a major problem. 20wt50 does not want to go through the drain back hole at all. Drilling the drain hole to 1/8" helps and is one of the first things H-D suggested to dealers. Now, change the angle from horizontal to 22.5º which is the angle to rocker boxes are really at and you can immediately see where the design went wrong. That nice little lip or "dam" doesn't do a thing and all that is preventing oil from blowing out is the height of the vent itself. That is why we designed the vent extensions in the first place. Raising the vent height as close to the top of the vent chamber as possible prevents as much oil from blowing out and gives it more time to drain back.

When I was working on the Cure, I had the distinct impression that when H-D designed the vent chamber they forgot about the fact that it was at 22.5º and not level.

Excessive oil carry over can usually be traced to one of three things. Engine has excessive blow by, Poor scavenging, Oil level too high.

Some XL's are just plain stubborn and are impossible to reduce the carry over to a normal level oil scavenging is notoriously poor and long, high RPM runs or back to back 1/4 mile runs are pretty much guaranteed to spit out a bunch. That is why a catch can is so important on race bikes.
  11. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Hey CD,

I used your CURE on my 98 and it works great. I installed it last summer. Wasn’t too difficult.

Thanks,

PS Let us know when the grand opening is. I need to put the date in my calendar. Let’s see… 5 hour ride to Phoenix then what.. 2 hours to Tucson?
  12. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

After Reading This Subject, I Thought About It And The Filters I Made, I Rotated 180 Deg. Now They Face Up And The Oil Is Not Spraying. 2 Days And Every Thing Is Still Clean.