1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Oil leak through alloy crank-case

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by sparkysharley, Feb 19, 2009.

1. sparkysharley

sparkysharley New Member

hi all just wondering how many folks have had crank-cases and the like replaced because of porus alloy castings I have just recently had my harley-davidson super glide in to my dealer and had the engine stripped back to bare bones and had the left &right crank-cases replaced under warranty IS THIS QUITE COMMON CONFUSED Sparky:gah:
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the first alloy crankcase i have heard of that leaked......have seen a lot of alloy wheels that leaked air.......both sides leaked???? can ya get any info from the dealer???
  3. sparkysharley

sparkysharley New Member

Hi chucktx the dealer that I had rectify the problem said it was unusual and not a common problem he,d never seen it before and had the both cases replaced free of charge,, Sparky:rant:
  4. fujimo

fujimo New Member

leak

i had a oil leak on 03 ultra,,,could not find ,,,dealer replaced all seals three times,,,finnnally indy,,,that builds race cars,,,asked if it could be the pan,,,, said the pans,,,some,,,are manufactured in brazil,,, same as old ford v.6 were,,,, and they all leaked,,,, so i told dealer,,,he swapped out his pan to mine ,,,,never leaked again,,,got 100000 miles on bike now,,,, SO maybe the leak is in pan,,,OR case is also poress enough to leak,,,it DOES happen,,pops
  5. steveb

steveb Active Member

I think Harley uses an impregnating process to seal the cases before the assembly operation . This one could have missed that process.
  6. chucktx

interesting.....
  7. fujimo

fujimo New Member

pregnant

been to all the harley factorys,,,never took us to where they impregnated anyone,,,,pops
  8. steveb

steveb Active Member

Have you been to the factory on Pilgrim Road ?
  9. chucktx

hehehehe.....i never saw that either!!!!!!!