1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Oil Leak

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Aug 6, 2011.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Well, Red, HR and I put on 400 miles of riding together one way. The trip started out with one wounded bike and then two. (HR's charging system or a simple battery). On our way home we were at a gas station about 45-50 miles out of Madison and I was chocking down a smoke and I looked at my bike. I noticed that there was a very small puddle under it. I went to investigate and it was oil. I looked all around and it look like it was coming from my oil supply line from the tank to the pump. I cleaned the oil from the swing arm to see if it was still leaking. It wasn't so I cleaned it up and I able to push the hose up. After I did that I was good to but kind of on pins and needles for the rest of the way home. I am going to have to drain the tank and take everything off so I can get at it and take a better look. So there were three injured bikes on this trip, and they all made it!! KARMA!!
  2. TNJSLC

TNJSLC New Member

It'll give you something to talk about this winter. If your pals are like mine, the stories will get better and better over time
  3. JohnnyBiker

No, my friends don't like to embellish much. I am thinking about just replacing the hoses right away because the ones that are on are sure to be stock. But now here is the question.

I have no personal experience with the steel braided lines. Are they better than the rubber ones for what you pay for them? I am looking for function over looks on this one.
  4. TNJSLC

TNJSLC New Member

Hey there Johnny - Braided steel looks good but it's a bitch to install - taping, cutting routing & clamping etc. For oil lines I like to use automotive "transmission oil cooler hose" from autozone - its a bit tougher than run of the mill rubber fuel/oil line, handles the heat, resists swelling, dosent collapse or kink as easy as the softer hose.
    Besides our engines are generally low pressure high volume oilers, so rubber is fine.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Check catalogs
    Many hd lines are already prefabbed in ss. Be sure u get coated ss lines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

when a braid comes loose from the bundle, it will cut the crap out or you hand............looks good tho...........check my chobber project, i used after market hose cover. plastic, holds up to heat very well.........
  7. JohnnyBiker

You mean stainless steel?
  8. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Yep...with a protective coating on them,no coating would be like a rasping file installed
  9. JohnnyBiker

I was looking at J&P last night and I found these lines made by Russell. Are they any good or not worth the money?
  10. hotroadking

Russell is a good reputable company.

remember CLEAR COATED ss lines.

If they have them get the chromite braided lines if you want really
    blinged SS lines,
  11. JohnnyBiker

Russell is out of the needed kit and none of their vendors have any either. Now the ones from DS, are those coated as well? Doesn't say in the description.
  12. chucktx

russell is good stuff.........that is why they are on back order.......everyone buys them!!!!!:)
  13. JohnnyBiker

What exactly is this coating that everyone is talking about? I have spoken to a few different shops and they are like :wtf: is that? Are people talking about the teflon coating on the inside of the line?
  14. chucktx

no, it is a type of clear coating on the outside........so ya dont bleed every time ya touch the line........
  15. JohnnyBiker

do the Russell's have this?
  16. chucktx

17. JohnnyBiker

Is it better to have the kit like what DS offers or the separate lengths like Russell's?
  18. chucktx

premade are better.........less work and less chance of leaks if ya dont get it right.........
  19. JohnnyBiker

How are the looks of the DS lines in your opinion? I think that I would rather go with the DS because they are preformed.
  20. hotroadking

Chromite Lines - look like SS only shiny ol Johnny will be transfixed in his garage and sit staring at the lines like a magpie with a plate! LOL

Chromite Lines