1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

oil leakage

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by langstonje, Aug 5, 2004.

1. langstonje

langstonje New Member

I Have A 1970 Xlch Sportster And The Recommended Oil Capacity Is 3qts. I Would Drain The Case And Also The Oil Tank. I Would Fill Up The Oil Tank (3qts) And A Day Or Two About A Quart Of Oil Would Leak Into The Main Case. I Took The Checkball And Spring Out And Cleaned Them And Actually Put A Heavier Spring In The Oil Pump And It Still Leaks Only About A Quart Of Oil. No Matter How Long It Sits. Am I Putting To Much Oil In The Tank Or Is The Pump Wore Out. I Know That The Oil In The Crank Can Cause The Pipes To Smoke And Also Go Throught The Breather In The Filter Canister.i Don't Have Allot Of Money To Spend On A Oil Pump. Can The Oil Pump Be Repaired If That Is What The Problem Is. I Don't Understand Why All The Oil Does'nt Leak Down To The Main. Please Do You Have Any Suggestions.
  2. Woz

Woz New Member

Well I couldg guess many problems that it could be how about starting with the filter. Got the right one? If it the microns are too small you might be bypassing it and burning it out the breather and your pipes. Pump alignment is another thought.