1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

oil light on

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cowboy, May 28, 2014.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

My son used my bike last week for a few days ,& called my one night after he got home , ask if the oil light ever comes on ,I said only when you first turn the switch on & start it , said it just came on when he pulled it in his garage , so I changed the oil (8k miles on last one) head held low in shame, then bought a new sending unit & broke it , so have a new one again to put in , no engine noise from low or no oil getting around in the engine , I did some checking & found there two sheare pins in the oil pump , might have sheared one so if the new sending unit wont shut the light off Then oil pump will come off & be double checked
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

There are 3 keys on the oil pump drive shaft...1 on the block end and 2 in the pump end...That's what's in my '90 pump,I don't know if there were any changes to the pump for your '94...I don't think I'd want to run it if there's no oil circulating...if you start it and the light doesn't go out right away,shut 'er down...Don't forget you have to take valve spring pressure off the rods before the cam cover comes off....Good luck...
  3. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Hope you found it before it did any internal damage . . . I've done that one before, only in a different way - I did a bunch of things to it and it sat around for a couple of weeks before I got it running again and had forgotten to put oil in the bike and rode it for about 13 miles before I discovered it had no oil except the 6 to 8 ounces that never gets drained :banghead.
  4. cowboy

Thanks Lucifer ,I rechecked my parts book & it shows 3 key ways , guess it's time to get the rest of the parts needed & pull the top end to replace the base gasket , & pull the cam cover fix oil pump & install the new EV 27 cam that's setting there
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Yep get some beer and get ta work
  6. cowboy

have the beer , now to find the time ,I'll look under the rug to see if there any there LOL , My son stopped by tonight & ask about the oil pump so I showed him the pic in the parts book , he said see what a new one cost , I ask him if he changed his name to Rockafella or what said he didn't want to rebuild it buy a new one eeek
  7. hotroadking

Call Jon at Horny toad hd. You'll get it at a discount tell him you are on the boards like road glide forum. CEO fourum etc and were referred to him.
  8. Lucifer

LOL...Show him the price of a new pump,then show him the price of a rebuild kit....see if he changes his mind...if not ,tell him S&S makes a good unit and a set of 9.5:1 pistons go real good with that EV27;)
  9. cowboy

So today I called my HD dealer Goe"s HD I get a small discount there ,& $366. for a new pump so I texted it to me son holy chit was what he texted me back & guess we need to pull the pump & see about a rebuild kit for it , So being the nice Dad I ask what about last night when you said just buy a new one , no response yet LOL , I check into some pistons when I pull the top end off & see what out there , really don't want to bore it unless I have to
  10. cowboy

well I spent the better part of Sunday cleaning out the garage to making room for working on my bike & got the bike on the lift , Monday was spent on cutting the grass well as least close to half of it , sky got black & thunder so put mower away :) , so Tuesday I'am hoping to start pulling parts off hoping is key word here
  11. Lucifer

Good luck cowboy,check for plugged or collapsed hoses and oil tank vent line...

There was about 80,000 on my softail when I did the top end, all it needed was a hone to fit standard size pistons,if the previous owner treated the bike right that's probably all you'd need...
  12. cowboy

Thanks Lucifer , the PO took good care of the bike ran moble 1 oil in it bike still looks new all over that's why I got different tin's to change the paint , the stock ones are like new if any thing needed to be done Forth worth HD did the job , bike only had 58k on it when I got it now a bit over 66k ,I'am trying to get the honey dew list cought up a little so when I start she wont complane to much LOL , but I'am the chief cook & bottle washer here & keep my special needs son during the day , good thing my phone has a good camara in it
  13. cowboy

Well I got around to taking my bike apart yesterday , top end still had plenty of oil , took the nose cone off & found the pinion gear had a bad tooth & the needle bearing outer lip had a small piece broke off & setting in the bottom of can chest , all the needle's where in place , std bore still & cyl looked real good in side , so hone & rings there new bearing in the chest ,& a S&S breather valve gear it's metal & the stock H D one is plastic so with 66.5 k miles all is pretty good , new oil hose as well will be going on
  14. hotroadking

Well that's pretty good news
  15. Lucifer

Yep,good news indeed!!:D
  16. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

So it sounds like maybe a cheaper fix than first thought? Now you just need to order and wait for parts? Nice!
    You get those wheel pics figured out yet? Maybe you already posted them, I can't remember if I saw them yet.
  17. joshbob

Cool. So far, so good. When you get the cylinders off don't forget to check for wobble in the rods & pistons. Just in case . . .
  18. cowboy

Josh I pulled the jugs & heads when I pulled the cam , all good in there as well , the kids all went out of town this weekend so I spent all last week helping them get there stuff together , so this week coming I'll make phone calls to check on parts & prices & start ordering going back to stock except the EV 27 cam
  19. joshbob

Just changing the cam will give the ol' scoot new life. Leaving everything else stock means reliability down the stretch. Exactly what I did to my bike ;).
  20. Lucifer

If you're staying with stock pistons,put an .030" head gasket on...that cam works well in a stock engine,but really wakes up and shines with around 9:1 corrected compression...thin head gasket will increase pressure a tad....