1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Oil On All Three

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Oscar Softluxe, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Oscar Softluxe

Oscar Softluxe New Member

I read in the Amsoil website that for HD we could use 20w-50 in all three. Mainly the Tranny, primary, and engine. HD recommends 75w-90 on the tranny. I am planning to apply it on my bike. What do you think guys of one in all three? Will void warranty? Will it overheat/foamy? Just wanted to know cause i ordered a case..Thanks in advance.
  2. Johnny O.

Johnny O. New Member

I don’t know what 20-50 would do in the tranny as far as foam or over heating but I always like to put gear lube in the gear hole. Some clam it shifts smoother with 75-90 or 80-90 in it too.
  3. Tumshie

Tumshie New Member

oil in all 3

Harley says their Syn 3 is ok to put it in the 3 holes, hence the name. Amsoil has said this for a long time. Engine oil and gear oil viscosities are rated differently so 20-50 is not much different from 75-90.
  4. CD

CD Guest

I thought that H-D now has separate tranny juice again?

We use Red Line and they have specific recommendations for each hole.
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

harley does have a new oil for the tranny.......i have it in mine. it is a bit quieter, but not as quiet as i think it should be......gonna try somthing a bit heaver, in a full syn.
    chuck
  6. goats_hogs

goats_hogs New Member

Chuck, I've been using Valvolene Syn 85W140 in my bikes for years. The Last bike I sold was a 1996 Road King with near 65k on it. Tranny was quite, shifted well, and none of the 4th gear "rocks in the tranny" feel the older trannys always had. The only drawback was if it was really cold out, it shifted a little stiff until a few miles had gone by to warm it. The syn 85W140 actually looked as thin or thinner than the 80W90 I was using prior to the switch. Big difference on a hot day though, tranny stays quiet and shifts right throughout.
  7. kamakazi

kamakazi New Member

Mobil One 15w50 in oil and primary, 75w90 in tranny. All synthetic and costs a hell of lot less for the same benefits (if not better than others).
  8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

mobil 75/90 is what i am planning to use......

goatshog.....i have always used castoroil straight 70wt in all my bikes....pans, shovels.....with great results..almost thought of putting that in the gear case......but the syns hold up to heat better!!!! \
    chuck
  9. goats_hogs

goats_hogs New Member

Just to clarify, I was only speaking of the 85W140 in the tranny. Still just using the 20W50 in the engine, or 50W straight in the summer. Old worn engines, even 60W straight in the summer. Up in Indiana, never seen anyone use 70W straight, even in the summer months, in anything.:eek: Warm up would take awhile I would think......
  10. Tim Vipond

Tim Vipond Banned A-Hole

The old AMV AMSOIL synthetic 20W50 motorcycle oil has worked well in all three. However some people noticed the shifting was better when they used AMSOIL 75w90 Severe Gear Lube. However, AMSOIL now has their new MCV (picture of Harley engine on front) and riders report this works better in the tranny than the Severe Gear Lube did. So I think this is now the way to go. One oil for all three, better shifting and double the factory recommended oil change or once a year, whichever comes first, to comply with the AMSOIL parts/labor warranty.