1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Oil pump again

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cowboy, Apr 29, 2012.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

So yesterday I took the e glide out , went to see my 5 yr old geand daughter play soccer then we went to eat I get on the free way all is good pas a slow car ,i'am at speed limet (65) then the oil light comes on I get on the side of the road & the rockers are starting to make noise , called my son to go get bro-in-laws trailer :cussing:, so now she'll set set till the wallet get right again , the se can ten kit was installed as pure the book ,& advice here first time she went about 250 miles second time about 5 min no ride this time about 100-150 miles :banghead:,
    mods to 03 eglide TC88 andrews tw 26 chain cams . 06 top end (new take off) swap from efi to carb (same time top end was done) ,V&H true dules & big city baffles in 3 1/2 cans (gutted stock mufflers)& se air cleaner kit , ike now has 61684 miles , I know theres a lot of TC 88 running the same se cam kits with no trouble at all , mine well I'am about ready to use as target practice :banghead::rant::angry::gah:
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

That's insane:eek:....Have you checked the crank run out??It would have to be excessive to take out your oil pump....but this is your 3rd one...might be time to send it to Darkhorse.....good thing you've got an Evo...;)
  3. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

did you drain the sump after the oil pump was replaced the second time cow boy? and clean the oil pan out before firing it up? some thing has to have gotten in the pump to make it fail . and if something did not get in there that crank is walking around like crazy! there is no way you got two crappy oil pumps.
  4. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

What about the umbrella valve? Do those need to be enlarged. He mentioned noise in the rocker so that to me would say that he isn't getting oil there?
  5. baggerpaul

rocker noise is do to the fact that the lifters are empty . lifters are at the base of oil pump case cam shaft area ! umbrella valves are no more than crank case vent valve nothing to do with oil pressure at all johnny . look at them as being a pcv on a chevy except the are not positive crank case . the fact is there is metal floating around the pan and sump area getting back in the pump after it is run for a while locking up the rotor in the pump housing . the debries are small enough to get pass the screen in the pick up and the pump starts getting eaten up. and then fails .:(
  6. JohnnyBiker

Shows ya how much I know about harley engines
  7. baggerpaul

ya think i learned this **** yesterday ! it took me a long time to learn . every day we learn something new . and today you did and knowledge is something no one can take from ya .:D so grab a service manual and put it in the bath room . :roflmao: best place to read in peace and quiet .:D
  8. JohnnyBiker

I will in the new house, then I will actually have some privacy!!!:roflmao::roflmao:
  9. JohnnyBiker

Before you know it Cowboy will be going to gear drives. If not, I might be buyin an EGlide. LOL :D
  10. cowboy

Have'nt pulled the pan yet , did run a magnet in the new oil after draining it , both steel & alum magnets , son-in-law got one from work , nothing in the oil or filter , I had the alinement tools this last time for the pump did just what the book ,& all here siad to do also talked to my indy & he said the same as here & the book , yesterday I did some work in my veggie garden & took the EVO out for a good ride about 100 miles had to clear the head out cob webs where getting to be to much :cool:, Guess it will have to set up for awhile till I can get my wallet a bit fatter , I plan on buying a whole new se cam plate kit & talk to my indy about putting it in ,
    Lucifer not sure on the run out I never checked it , don't know if chuck did when he put the first set up in for me ,I did ask a indy yesterday about it & he said unless you grab the crank end & move it it should bother the this kit , he also has the same kit in his 03 cop glide
  11. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

wow cowboy......that sucks!!!!!! ya we checked the runout...if i remember it was like .0015....well within specs...............i still got my old cams if ya need them.....
  12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Check runout on the end of the crank,
    it's not uncommon to be the culprit when
    you have oil pumps going like this.

Either you are not installing it correctly
    every time, or,

You have defective pumps all the time
    or the crank has excessive run out.

Be a good idea to check it.
  13. cowboy

Thanks all , I've decide to try & sell it as is, nether my legs nor wallet can take the heaver bike ,
  14. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

sorry to hear about the crappy luck with the bike.
  15. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear Cowboy. "aluminum magnet" ?? I didn't know they existed.
  16. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Never heard of an aluminum magnet either.
  17. Fatboy128

18. cowboy

fatboy not sure about the links you posted , I know at one trucking co I worked for had a alum mag hanging from the front bumper of the yard mules it picked up all the alum seals from the trailers , that drivers through on the ground , the co would stock pile all the used seals & sell them as alum twince a year , the plants here use a lot of alum tubeing/ pipes & son
    in law sais they have alum mag's to dip in to make sure theres no debres in the product , son-in law snuck one out & took it back the next day ,I also drained the oil through a paint filter & did'nt see any shavings
  19. Fatboy128

I believe you but I can't find any info on one. (Pssst. ya wanna buy a bridge in Brooklyn??) Ha! Just joking, I'll continue my research.
  20. Fatboy128

Hey Cowboy, I've made some calls to friends who are principles in two companies that build small gizmos for the military out of aluminum and other metals including aluminum alloys. Alum alloys are common due to the raw aluminum being soft. Castings (heads, cases, etc.) are alloys. Even the other compounds that got into the alloys are non-ferrous metals (non-magnetic). There are many sites that you can google to research it, I only posted the last two I looked at. Maybe the outfit is collecting aluminum that has steel or iron sleeves in it like cyclinders have? In any case, no matter the assurances, I would not trust that gadget to pickup aluminum bits out of your oil. But more important, it is possible that a small bit of metal could be missed using the magnets.
    Again bro, Just my opinion.