1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Oil question

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by popeye, Mar 23, 2011.

1. popeye

popeye Active Member

I hate to start an oil thread but my new bike is almost due it's first service.

When they did the walk through I mentioned the fact that I was very partial to Mobil syn. To which the technician told me that Harley would deny any warranty claim if I used it.

Has anyone heard of this? I've been an auto mechanic for over 25 years and Used mobil in all of our Kawasaki time bomb mx bikes as well as my street bikes. I can't see how they could do this if the oil met all of their specs.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

they cannot deny warranty. they would have to supply the oil to void a warranty caused by oil. check the oil threads, there is a law on the books to support this.
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Interesting, the top HD builder here at Harley Latus Motors uses Mobile 1 and recommends it over others.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Want to have some fun with this nit-wit, see he just violated a federal law, it's called Magnusson Moss Act. Basically put into place to keep companies from requiring you to buy their replacement parts or they will void the warranty.

If they do require you to buy their parts, then the manufacturer has to give them to you free of charge. Harley having a big legal department knows this, so in the lit you get with the bike it tells you that you should use a specific API type of oil in a heat range 20W-50 that meets or exceeds HD's requirements to keep the warranty, however they also say "like hd 360" which is perfectly legal...

Mobil 1 V-twin meets that criteria, not Mobil1 Auto 20-50 but Vtwin, so use it during your warranty period, buy it at Autozone for about $9 a qt for the syn.

If you are going to do that and change yourself, mark it in the Owners manual, mileage, date, and put the receipt in the book, now you have proof you did the change.

If you want to have fun, go back to the guy that told you that and tell the nitwit
    you are there to get your free oil change, he'll look at you funny and then tell him when he violated federal law on warranty by trying to tell you that HD requires HD oil, that HD must then give you the oil and filter for free, it's required....

Of course they won't but let him know you are not uninformed and that he ought to think twice about telling people things that are not factual and that his actions
    might get someone mad enough to call the factory and complain about the dealers service techs, which gets the dealer reamed by the factory, which gets the owner mad
    which can get advertising money held back...

Or just tell him to shove his crap you know better and change it with Mobil 1 vtwin yourself anyway...

Then tell him you are buying your filters online from a Wix supplier for $5.32
    vs giving the parts department the $10 markup on top of that for a filter
    because Wix makes HD's filters LOL

HD Wix Filter Link
  5. popeye

popeye Active Member

Thanks guys, Exactly what I was looking for.