1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Oil temps again

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by chucktx, May 13, 2009.

1. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

checking the manual, twin cams dont have to have synthetic oils. they recommend up to 60 wt oil. i changed oil using 60 wt from bikers choice....same as the dealer has....took it on a 200 mile run yesterday, air temps in the mid to upper 80's. did some city riding also. lots of stop and go, sitting and waiting as it was 5pm. my temp gauge was about 10/15 degrees cooler than with the 20/50 syn. thoughts???

my gauge is in the return line to the sump
    06 geezer glide
  2. Mayor

Mayor New Member

Chuck, this is sorta in line with what my problems with prsssure falling after about 70 miles.....I think the heat is the problem and wanted HD in the smokies to put regular 50 weight.......Maybe others will chime in....I need to find out more about the cooler running oils...
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

unless you're running a temp meter on the engine you really don't know the total temp of the oil internally.

I run pure canola oil so I can kook chicken on the engine in alumunumumum foil on longer runs to save money...
  4. chucktx

no metal temp gauge, just the one in the oil line.....i know that my readings are just relative, but just the same, cooler is cooler......i was under the assumption that syn was cooler. my little test shows me that dino is running cooler, but have to use a heaver oil to accomplish it. just wondering what others found,thought,ect......
  5. fujimo

fujimo New Member

oil

chuck,,,i think all bikes are different,,,AND ALL bikes are run by each indevidual diff,,,, i do kno since i started runing amsoil in mine it runs cooler,,, more pressure also,,, i can shut it down for 15 minutes and it will have cooled enough to have to use choke sometimes to start easy,,,, and i have a parade fan on bike,,since amsoil,,,have not had it come on,,,been in two parades in last month,,,, than again i do not rap my bike at stop lites,,etc,,, it just idles till time to move,,,, the temp thin is tough,,,pops
  6. Panthera

Panthera New Member

I am running a sporty, which is a slightly different breed of animal. Originally it had regular oil. I tried the HD syn oil and I did not notice a difference in temps but since the same oil on a sporty is used in the tranny, I was getting more false neutrals. I since switched to Amsoil and the temps in the tank are cooler.

As far as running cooler now, it could simply be the viscosity holding up better with the heavier oil, and reducing the internal friction. That would be a good thing. What temp are you seeing now?
  7. chucktx

it was 200 on the gauge....normally shows 220, running the same route the same way. i was looking to quiet the valve train.....i have gear cams....it seemed to do that, the drop in temp was a bonus.....
  8. chucktx

the weather temps are getting into the 90's+ i ride alot so i will keep tabs on the temps........last year it ran 230 in 90+ degree weather. when i rode west texas, 105/110 temps, 2 up, pulling a trailer it hit 245. i also run an automotive style oil cooler
  9. Panthera

Panthera New Member

10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

maybe it was last years global warming......

Either oil is fine as long as you change it
  11. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

:banghead: :banghead: Still waiting to do a good long run on my Amsoil switch but on the 1/2 hr rides I can do, hottest day being 80'f I didn't break 210. At 200 for a long ride in Tx I'd say you found the right mix for your bike!!
  12. chucktx

time will tell........i do change oil at 2500 miles......and the 60 wt is much cheaper than syn..........
  13. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

temps in the 80-90s you lucky dog you.

I use Redline in tranny and engine and not much point in checking the engine temp as the temps here have been 40's 50's with a few 60 days thrown in. Sunday is supposed to be 80 :rolleyes: will see.
  14. SteveRace

SteveRace New Member

This site might be of interest on oil temp tests.
    Synthetic Oil
  15. glenco304

glenco304 New Member

Amsoil

Check out Harley Performance.com They ran test on different oils they concluded Amsoil ran roughly 10-15 degrees cooler test was done in LA,Ca
    I run that now it seems to be accurate
  16. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

not going there
  17. chucktx

me either!!
  18. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I just run what I like and don't care if HD likes it or not. SYN3 Sucks.
  19. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

:cussing: I'll go there - Hd dealers now handle Amsoil as an upgrade to their syn stating those #'s problem is you can by it 1/2 the price elsewhere and do the oil change as usual yourself!!! I would have went Redline myself but a little harder to get a hold of in Canada, standard weights OK heavier weights are special order.

The MOCO doesn't scare me!!
    (I know your listening, I was just kidding)
  20. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Oh boy, I'll ask it but I know I shouldn't.....When i was at the stealer i needed to get everything for oil change, and I'm going to be doing the 10K service a little early cuz i'll be going on that 5 day ride with my buddies in a month or two......I bought the HD synthetic oil for all three holes. Do you guys think I'm nuts or should I return and get something else? either way i will use synthetic (my choice), and the stealer said 5K between changes with the synthetic. Thoughts without hijacking this thread and turning it into an oil debate?? (btw, i am talking about temps)

Sorry Chuck!
    Last edited: May 18, 2009