1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Oiling Problem

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by WildWindwalker, Aug 8, 2008.

1. WildWindwalker

WildWindwalker New Member

Hi, I have a 1991 Classic with 80 cubic inch Evo. My oil pressure dropped the other day, luckily I was only1,1/2 miles from home. I already removed oil sending unit to see if it was faulty, but oil was barely coming to the top of the hole. I have been told that Harley oil pumps are nearly indestructable, that it is probably a sheared key or a clogged line but haven't checked either yet because the hose clamps are one time use and I have no gasket for the oil pump. Any help would be appreciated.:)
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

you have been told correctly......you need to get the following
    the factory service manual
    some new hose clamps
    oil pump key and associated gaskets,seals.........
    not a hard job....................let us know!!!!!!
    welcome to the forum!!............................................:)
  3. WildWindwalker

I have found my problem. It was slug in the oil tank. I just got the bike 7-12-2008 and already put over 600 miles on it. I know, I should have had the oil changed first thing, but it looked clean and was full and there was no information as to when it was last changed. Any how I don't know if it would have drained or been caught. I am just very glad it happed so close to home.

All I have to do now is clean my oil tank and flush my motor and put some new quality oil in it. I hear Amsoil 20-50 weight synthetic is best. Any opinions with long term experience would be helpful.:)
  4. chucktx

the name makes no difference, as long as it is a quality brand, not one of the "acme" brands from the convience store in the yellow bottle..........:)
  5. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

<P>
    </P>
    <P>&nbsp;</P>
    How the Hades did a slug get in your oil tank:confused:
    About the oil...with an older bike and syn oil..it won't cause leaks but will find more places to ooze outta than fossil oil because it is better and gets into tighter places than fossil oil will. So if you have fossil oil in now and no weeping and you switch to syn oil you MAY get weeping.
    Any quality 20-50 will do the job fine.Regular oil changes are the key. Amsoil,Redline,Mobil1 are all good quality syn oil. Pick your pet.
    HD syn or fossil oil costs more because of the HD label on the bottle and is no better than any other good syn or fossil oil, so use whatever you like just change it regularly:devil:

Oh, and welcome:D
  6. WildWindwalker

I meant sludge, but I think you new that.:roflmao: Thanks for the feedback and making me feel welcome.;)
  7. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

:roflmao:Kerosene is what I use to flush oil tanks. I put 1 1/2 qts in if its a 3 qt tank let it sit for a beer or 2 slosh it around dump and repeat . Then use 1 1/2 qts clean oil slosh around dump repeat to get all the kerosene out. After that do a 250 mile oil change for peace of mind and then back to normal.
    Never let anyone put a slug in your oil tank without puttin one in them first:roflmao: .:devil:
  8. WildWindwalker

I have cleared and flushed my motor today. The oil pressure is better than when I first got the bike. I am letting everything drain overnight. I will put new filter and oil in tomorrow. I plan on running a short 70 mile trip then changing it again and adding Lucas oil stabilizer. I use this in all my cars and my road tractor and it works great. Keep the rubber to the roads and shiney side up:)
  9. chucktx

sounds llike ya got your problem cured!!!!!!!!!!! have fun!!!!!!!!!!!:)
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

You got some pretty good tips,

The syn thing is right on, it's much better for your motor as it won't break down as fast as non syn (dyno oil) but because it doesn't break down and because it has better cleaning agents, well syn can find leaky areas you have because it cleans out all the sludge and deposits in the motor.

So if you have a small crack in a base gasket that dyno has plugged with sludge the syn will clean that crap out and maybe seep through, the disadvantage is that you now have a leak, the advantage is that you know you have a bad base gasket that was masked before.

Running syn on an older motor isnt a mechanical problem it's a cleaning agent issue. If your motor is sound you shouldn't have any problems and it will run cooler and quieter on the syn.

Other than that just change it at 2500 mile intervals and it will be fine.