1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Old Bike is Back

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Oct 12, 2005.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

My old ultra that I traded in that was having so many problems that I traded in, is back. The new buyer brought it back and got there money back as it was having so many problems and broke down on them. I think I made a wise choice in getting a new bike. To bad I let them mess wuth the motor in the first place as the bike ran great before that. :confused:

Marc
  2. SK

SK New Member

Knock on wood Marc..you did the right thing at the right time. Looks like that old bike needs a new tranny/engine before they resell it again.
  3. FLHTbiker

SK, the tranny is fine, no issues with it. The engine is probably OK but what the heck they did t it when they set up the 95 kit with cams and race tuner is beyond me. Maybe the bike does not like the race tuner but then it didn't like the PC either and it was even worse. Could be a sensor someplace that keeps acting up. I'm beginning to think that the old Carbureted bikes might be better as not all these sensors for the injection system. Yet I know of others that had the same setup as mine did by the same mechanic and there's are running great. I do miss the power that bike had though.
  4. CD

CD Guest

Very soon there will be no choice but EFI.

Not long ago we had a simple fixed slope ignition module, coil and sensor. Easy to troubleshoot yet, there were some factory trained H-D "wrenches" that did not know how to use a multimeter.

Then, we had the first generation of the TC88 with carb and sensors including a cam position sensor. How many H-D mechanics took the (if available)courses to learn the new systems?

In 1996, the very first EFI was released ten (10) years later there are a lot of H-D wrenches that still refuse to learn the "black box".

It isn't the technology, it's the lack of mechanics willing to get up to speed.
    That and H-D being cheap in training courses.

Got a friend that works for Acura. They receive training on new stuff several times a year. He makes big bucks because he took the cert courses.

The other major problem is that we are so far behind technology wise. Cars have OBD that can dump codes easily and narrow problems down very quickly.
    We are still in the hmmm, if the sensor didn't pass break out the multimeter and...mode.
  5. FLHTbiker

Stopped at the dealer today to pick up a small part and learned some rather sad news.
    The individual that purchased my old Ultra and brought it back for a V-rod, the sales manager said he wanted something lighter and faster. Well, he was killed 2 days later on the V-rod. Heard he was going to fast when a car turned in front of him. He probably should have stayed with the Ultra as he might be alive today.
    However he did do some damage to it in the short time he had it. Left side of the fairing is damaged and the left side bag lid is all scratched up.

They did find the problem with the short. A mechanic hooked up an ohm meter and traced it out to a wire in the loom under the tank that had a worn spot on it and would touch metal causing a short.

Really to bad about the guy on the V-rode. :(

Your Future Depends On Many Things, But mostly On You.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2005
  6. Goose

Goose New Member

CD, I have a friend, Duncan Paul, that teaches motorcycle and marine mechanics at Cedar Valley College south of Dallas in Lancaster, Texas. He's been there over 30 years. Before that job, he was a service rep for Kawasaki, going around updating mechanics on the new models.

His school teaches the regional school for HD and Suzuki, or did last year anyway. It varies year to year who they contact with. He's very good with the tools and machining and such, built my little KX motard race bike's engine and front wheel arrangement which took some machining. Anyway, I was kinda wondering, is it up to the DEALERSHIPS to pay for that update course, sent their mechanics to it? I know I had an update course last year with Briggs and Scrapiron paid for by the hardware store where I worked that fall before I quit 'em in the spring. :D They paid for it, paid me a salary to go. It was only a three day school, but it set 'em back a couple hundred. I didn't go back to work there cause of the arrangement. I'm working for myself now here and in Edna and set my own hours and make a LOT more per hour and have the same benefits package (none). :rolleyes:

Anyway, if the dealer is supposed to pay for his service manager or someone to go, then I'd reckon service would vary from dealer to dealer. Those cheap SOBs are not going to be up on things not having had their mechanics updated year to year, would seem to me.

Duncan's class is at Cedar Valley College Motorcycle Mechanics course. That's Duncan with his hands in the V twin on the page. ;)