1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Old tank sealer

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by fiddyfofoad, May 27, 2008.

1. fiddyfofoad

fiddyfofoad New Member

The sealer in my gas tank is about 20 years old and it's starting to lift off. any suggestions on how to dissolve the old sealer without harming the paint so it can be re-sealed? Thanks, Joe
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i have used an assortment of different sized nuts with water in the tank.....limited success, but it did get out the loose stuff. i have also used long needle nose pliers to try to grab some of the "sheets".......you may try some paint remover, but, no guarantees that ya wont spill any on the paint, and dont leave it in for a long time.........good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
  3. fiddyfofoad

fiddyfofoad New Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I went on Kreems web site and got my answer under FAQ's. Acetone or Methyly Ethyl Ketone (MEK) left in the tank for 24 hours should do the trick. Joe
  4. fiddyfofoad

fiddyfofoad New Member

Man, that old sealer won't give up. First off, I put about 30 half inch nuts into the tank with some detergent and water, shook the hell out of it for 10 mins then drained it and rinsed out all of the water. Got a fair amount of crap out of it. After letting it sit and air dry for a day, I put in 2 gals of acetone and let it sit for 24 hours, re-postioning the tank every 4-6 hours. I got enough junk out of the tank to fill a small dixie cup. But there was more in the tank that didn't come out. Good thing I strained the acetone coming out, because I had to put it back in for a second dose. With a painted tank, this is nerve-wracking. Joe
  5. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

GUESS YOU HAVE TO KEEP DOING IT TILL NOTHING COMES OUT, KINDA LIKE THE OL'LADY LIKES IT:roflmao: MIGHT HAVE TO DO A NEW PAINT JOB. LOOK AT THE POSITIVE SIDE OF THE JOB, FRESH NEW INSIDE AND OUT.
  6. fiddyfofoad

fiddyfofoad New Member

Well, we all know what that will lead to.