1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

One cylinder

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by viking, Feb 24, 2008.

1. viking

viking New Member

So what is the deal with the 08 tourings shuting down the rear cylinder when it gets to hot at idle?My dealer talked about this but I only half caught it.I am not sure if the rider dose it by rolling off the throttle?or is it in the ecm?Also if I do the stage 1 upgrade do I lose this feature?I also heard you can enable or disable this feature.What ever happened to points and a carberator?????
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the ecm handles the spark to the cylinders,,,,it will shut it down when to hot,,,,supposed to make ya pull over and let it cool down. the upgrades will not hamper this feature. you may thank our ever watchful govt for taking care of us and letting us know what is best for us, 06 was the last year for carbs, the points have been disapearing since the mid 70's.....and that was for the best i think, as long as i could replace the electonic ones with points when broke down on the hiway,,,,,,,,,,,,i always like my points systems!!!:)
  3. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Guess when you say do a upgrade you are talkin about lettin the dealer do it and yer gittin a Sert right !

I'm waiting on Thundermax to come out with a new unit for the 08 touring bikes
  4. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

Welcome To The New Melenium, Does The Same Thing To 4 Wheeled Vehicals To. Just Like Our Gov. And State. Sucks To Be Controlled And Know What's Best For U As A Individual.
  5. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

To answer your original question, the ecm will shut down the spark and fuel to the rear cylinder when you are idleing to help keep the motor running cooler. This is a selectable thing that can be enabled/disabled by the dealer utilizing the digital tech computer system. This is a good thing for people that like to sit in traffic idleing their bikes instead of riding them. Without air flow over the cylinder fins the motor heats up. Shut down one cylinder and the motor doesn't heat up as fast. Once you start riding, the rear cylinder comes back on and works like you are used to. This was first engineered for Police bikes and it worked so good that they added it to all of the baggers.
  6. viking

viking New Member

Thanks guys that pretty much answers my questions.I rode shovelheads for years and this will be my first fuel injected bike.all the electronics have me feeling a little overwhelmed since I have problems programing the vcr.Ha Ha.