1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Online shop manuals??

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by 99 Softail Custom, Apr 10, 2006.

1. 99 Softail Custom

99 Softail Custom New Member

Is there an online site where you can look up info in a shop manual vs buying a manual to do just one thing???
  2. CD

CD Guest

There was an effort to provide electronic service manuals but, they would not have been free. Since it is copyrighted material, you either have to create your own or pay to scan an official version.

If you were only ever going to do "one" thing, the local dealer would probably let you eye ball the procedure. But, if you plan on doing work yourself, why not buy the most important tool?
  3. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

The Perfect Tool, A Certified Mechanic That Works For Beer!
  4. bikerjim1

bikerjim1 Moderator

That was kinda out in left field,....wasn't it?
  5. 99 Softail Custom

99 Softail Custom New Member

Thanks for the Info

I broke down yesterday and got a service manual for my bike. Thanks for the quick responces. :)
  6. bikerjim1

bikerjim1 Moderator

Better to break down and buy the manual, than to break down on the side of the road and wish you did!:D
  7. AFBombBldr

AFBombBldr New Member

A little off topic but...

I was puzzled tonight when I called the local HD shop to ask if they carry a tool listed in the service manual. He said, "Sorry, I can't order tools with HD (prefix) part numbers. HUH? Where are we supposed to get them?

The one I was after is the "amp multilock electrical crimper connector plier" thingy.

Any info on this would be appreciated.

Joe
  8. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Nomad, currently the Blue Ridge Mountains
    Tools and such

That burns me up quick. HD and Ford are notorious for that. However, if what you are talking about is what I think you are talking about....you can grab one that DOESN'T say HD for less than five bucks at Lowes or Home Depot, or most any auto parts store. When I relocated the turn signals on the Dyna they called for the same thing to crimp the connectors...but a generic wire stripper/crimping tool does the job. The "not selling tolls that have an HD prefix is one reason I have so many hanging on the wall that we fabricated in the garage.....Hope this helps, Ride Free
  9. AFBombBldr

AFBombBldr New Member

Thanks

Thanks for the info and experience, GB, that is the right price for me. Should have known, all ya gotta do is ask on this forum. I know where I'm going in the morning...

Heck, even if the dealer had the tool they would probably charge 4x what it's worth.

BTW, I was also relocating signals on the wife's 06 Low Rider. Haven't gotten that far on mine...yet.
  10. 00 wildglide

00 wildglide New Member

Crimper Plier

AFBombBldr,
    Snap-on,Mac-tools ect.,Should have something for your needs.I have a few electrical pliers from "KLEIN" which "HOME-DEPOT" sells too.Some "H-D" items are simply repackaged/re-priced tools from another manufacturer.;)
  11. AFBombBldr

AFBombBldr New Member

Thanks for the insight, 00WG, will check into those too.

Joe