1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Open belt drive engine seal leaking

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by fittykick, Apr 29, 2009.

1. fittykick

fittykick New Member

I put an open belt on my 1998 softail,I didn't touch the engine seal and it leaked,I was told afterwards by the shop I bought the belt kit from that I need to put that seal in backwards.
    I put a new seal in backwards and it still leaks.
    Anyone have a good answer for this one?
  2. Scootertrash

Scootertrash New Member

I had the same problem on my 98' wide glide. I tried 2 different seals..installing each one in differnt directions and still had the leak, so on a open belt I dont think the direction that you install the seal really matters. What ended up being my problem was the small plastic bracket that holds the stator wires in place. This bracket is held in place by two small screws. Found out from Harley that the location where these screws install....the case is very thin and if you overtighten these smalls screws or happen to replace one or both with a slightly longer screw as I did....it will punch through the case and as expected......oil will leach out through the threads of the screws. I merely pulled the screws out...used some loc tite thread sealer and that solved the problem.
  3. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

or the shaft that the seal is on has a groove and needs a speedy sleeve or new shaft, I have also had luck putting in a tighter seal when one is avalible, but when it goes to leaking your against a wall.