1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

opinions are like?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by ironhead, Nov 14, 2004.

1. ironhead

ironhead New Member

I've got a chance to buy a 98 FLHT for 9500...it has 30000 miles...any opinions,experiance,or knowledge on this bike? I've had 3 ironheads and I'm thinking about going to a bigger bike...all comments welcome :)
  2. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

I don't know much about the 98 FLHT, but I have a 2004 FLHT and love it. I like the size of the bike, the seat, the fairing.......I just like the bike!!! I would strongly consider it if it was me! I don't know if fuel injection/engine type is important for you or not, but I know I like the frame/seat size and enjoy the handeling of the larger bike! Good luck in your decission!
  3. fatboyvtwin

fatboyvtwin New Member

The first thing that I would suggest that you do is to go to www.nada.com. This will give you the high and low blue book on the bike. Next make sure if your truely interested that you look the bike over very well for oil leeks, electrical problems, has the bike been layed down? if so look for the scratch marks that may be present, how many accesories has the person put on? If your not familair with Harleys take a friend who is and have him look the bike over. Ride Safe, David.
  4. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I don't know what the market value for Harleys are down your way..they're getting cheaper up here in Canada with the big '03 rush over and the currency fluctuation. I kinda cheated a little and looked back and saw that you're into Sporties..XLX? nice stuff. The big FL touring rigs will take a little getting used to and you're gonna find some days where you're just wanna being going out for a rip on the little bike..cause they're a lot of fun to flick around....but......the big Fl's are a really comfy place to spend some serious seat time on. I have a Ducati ST2 and an Electra Glide and a couple of other bikes. I have a passion for sport bikes but for the big trips more and more now it's the Harley that gets the call. If you get a chance ,take a touring rig out for a ride and scope your bike out. The 2000's have better brakes and the twin cam motor, you may want to try one of those out too. I'd probably go with a twin cam because there's more there to work with.
  5. VYBR8R

VYBR8R New Member

Flht

The FLHT is a great bike and the EVO motor is still very easy to get parts and also build up parts. The only question I have is if the bike is Fuel Infected. The 98's had Magnetti Marelli injection and it isn't all that good. I'd hold back and wait for a twin cam bike to come along.
  6. Bobcat

Bobcat New Member

EVO's Forever

I've got a '93 FLHS (year before the Road King) and I wouldn't take two twin cams for it. I've done some mods to it but kept it dependable. Where I live in southeast Arizona it's 150 miles to the closest 7/11 store. :D
    Mine had an after market injection system that I couldn't get parts for so I put on a Mukuni and Crane ignition.
    In my humble opinion the EVO is the best thing since sliced bread. (I've had Pans and Shovels and remember riding an hour and turning a wrench for two).
    But, it's like Sleepy said: You ain't gona be scraping you knees in the turns but it is a good road machine. :cool:
    Oh Yea, and CD can get lots of parts for it with no problems.
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

That bike msrp's for about $12,500 new, and a new TC flht is about $13,500 with a two year warranty and twin cam.

Now if it has a bunch of extras thats even better, $9500 won't get you a new 1200 custom sportster, so if you want a big bike why not.

I'd get permission to let someone check it out for you, someone that's not tied to the sale and will give an independent view, maybe you have a friend that is into bikes, has a shop etc

You need to look for frame damage, forks, check the neck, see the title, if it's the original owner, not salvage etc

Also check the oils and plugs to make sure they look good, remember I can change my oil and plugs today and it will look good tomorrow but what about a month down the road or two, see if they have service records on the bike, even if they did it themselves.

Ride it around the block and have someone follow to see if it tracks straight, check the rotors pads, all those things, pull sensors or plugs with magnets to see if the fluids are ok if you can, check under the bike

98 is a good year, nothing bad in production, plus tons of stuff available for the bike.
  8. ironhead

ironhead New Member

took the plunge

well I bought the bike!! I got it for 9000...it has a screaming eagle ignition,carb and mufflers....a stereo put in and a road king seat...the only downer is it does need tires,but I got until April for those!! I took it for a nice long ride yesterday...60 degrees in Iowa !!! it was well taken care of and I'mpretty proud of it...I love my little ironhead,but my ass is all ready smilin' over the much sweeter ride...thanks for all of the advice and maybe I'll run into some of you at sturgis next year...I'll be the one that isn't walking like Festus this time!!! :D
  9. SK

SK New Member

Congrats my good man. Take care of it and it'll last you quite a while. If you took a good long ride (glad to hear the weather was permitting in Iowa) and it wasn't leaking or nothing afterward, you're probably ok on that front. Have fun and enjoy.
  10. hotroadking

$9K, excellent deal, glad it runs strong and you got a buncha extras with it, including the tunes!

As for tires check on a set of Avon Venom's for the bike you won't believe the improvement in handling and ride, they are great.

Dunlops are a bit hard, make more noise and don't hold the road as well.

Metzlers are as good as Avons, just saying if you have to replace look into a better IMHO tire.
  11. CD

CD Guest

Congratulations!

Personally I have run Dunlop's, Avons and Metzelers on my RK. My favorites are the ME880 Metzelers on the RK and the Avon Venom / Super Venom on the FXR. The 880's stick really well and do not seem to give up in the corners like Dunlop tires can. The total mileage you get is less but, I will give mileage up for sticky most any day.
  12. ironhead

ironhead New Member

thanks

hot rod....you must be psychic (or psycho!!) I was just coming to the site to ask what would be a good replacement tire! I think I'll check out the avons...I had them on my XLX, and I really like that brand....the nice day yesterday turned into a pile of sh*t today....40 degrees and a steady drizzle....I'm heading to the garage for a little solitude and some detailing....have a good weekend!! :D
  13. ironhead

ironhead New Member

more to think about!

cd...I was just posting my reply to hot rod when yours came up ...with all the differant brands, do you have to worry about the tires fitting? my buddy changed brands but stuck with the same size, but he said the tire he has now looks good when it is cold...but after he gets them warmed up it's almost like they lift and start rubbing...is this possible? :
    :confused:
  14. hotroadking

I have heard the metz tires are a bit differently sized, like a 150 metz is a bit wider than a avon 150 but that was just chatter. Either is good and stay with the stock size tires and you'll be fine.
  15. Jim Posey

Jim Posey New Member

Buy It

I own a FLHT 1997, best deal Harley sells, 1998 last year for the EVO, bullet proof if you take care of it. If its in good condition $9500 good price. If your unsure take to dealer and have them check out for you. Enjoy JP
  16. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Good Deal

Congratulations to you Ironhead, where are all these deals when I'm looking for a ride ?. My choice of tire is the Avon, (if it matters) their good and sticky.