1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Opinions Comments on the V-Rod

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by gutierg, Oct 8, 2007.

1. gutierg

gutierg New Member

Gentlemen,

I am giving some consideration to perhaps upgrading my Dyna Low Rider to a VRSCAW V-Rod. Would like to see if anyone can provide opinions or suggestions.

I know that this is a liquid cooled machine, it provides a completely different riding position and style, it is radically different from the standard classic look of our Dynas, Softails, and Road Kings, and yet it maintains the Harley feel and flavor, it is the way forward for the Motor Company in my humble opinion. I look forward to reading your experiences and suggestions. Please let me know at your disposal.

Regards,
    German
  2. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

I've ridden the Vrod several times on demo rides. I love riding them but my biggest problem is staying off the throttle. They are so much faster than my regular ride. I love the acceleration and depending on the model, the ride is OK, but to me, it still doesn't feel/look/sound like a Harley. To each his own.
  3. Tiny86

Tiny86 New Member

it still doesn't feel/look/sound like a Harley.

Me Personally:rant: I think its the Harley version of a crotch rocket:soapbox:
    Ya get on one and all ya want to do is go FAST and swerve in and out of traffic
    :gah:

"Tiny"

P.S they aint real comfy for us fat boys either
  4. RoyD

RoyD New Member

I think the Vrod is a great bike, though probably not for everyone. I've ridden several and finally just bought one. (Found a heck of a deal on 07 closeouts on the web). As you probably know, they are very fast, handle good, & have great brakes, plus they are a Harley. How good is that?
  5. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Not my kind of ride because they are tough to take on long runs. If you want bursts of speed, they're fine. If you want to cover 500 miles or more a day, they're brutal. Too little cruising range and not comfy enough for my aging bones.

As to Harley flavor and feel, I don't see 'em that way at all. I figure if I was looking for a bike with all the V-Rod's riding characteristics, I'd get a Japanese or European one. Blasphemy to some, but the V-Rod ain't "Harleyesque" enough for me to spend the money for. Or ya might get an older (cheaper) Dyna and hop it up for speed in your own style.
  6. gutierg

gutierg New Member

Great Deal on 07 Closeout

Roy,

Where was that deal located at? I want to really investigate it. I am in the New Jersey, please let me know. If you can give me details we can talk offline?

Regards,
    German
  7. gutierg

gutierg New Member

Can't dispute your observation

Red Rider,

I did 400 miles on my dyna and I was beaten to a pulp, but the fun factor was about 9 out of 10! No question about it, guys like you that ride very nice Road Kings and Electra Glides, always looking very comfortable. I envy that, but If I may say so respectfully, I prefer a bare bones bike. As useful as the bags are, I can't see myself getting them. Once again, I hope I am not insulting or disrespecting all of you Road Kings and general baggers, I think those bikes are pretty cool, just not my style.

Regarding a long cruise, my body seems to adapt to the road, the longer I go, but just like you, my bones are pretty sore at the end of the day.

Regards,
    German
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  8. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

For many of us over 50 the bagger comfort looks pretty good.
  9. gutierg

gutierg New Member

FLHTbiker,

Hey I am not far from you at 46 and several sports injuries, my bones are no better. I admire and respect the comfort of your rides, in fact I was out on my Dyna Low Rider and two buddies on 999 Ducati's. All they kept on saying as we were going along. Those baggera are looking more apetizing every mile that we go. I thought that was a nice comment, coming from guys that only ride foreign two wheelers.

Nice ride by the way.

Regards,
    German
  10. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

gutierg - no offense taken.

Nice thing about the 'King is I can drop the windshield off in less than 2 seconds and ride totally in the wind. As to the bags, they come off quick, too, but they are too darn handy to do without. Did ya know the hard bags are made to be used as ice chests? Have drain plugs. As to fun, well, I've had plenty on Ol' Red, as my scraped running boards indicate. Nice thing about her is I don't get as crazy as did on my sportier bikes.....keeps me alive. After numerous injuries and seven surgeries, I have learned to appreciate being a little less psycho and being comfortable at the same time. But to each, his own.:cheers:
  11. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I have only sat on a V rod , I did'nt care for the feel of it just setting there so never took it out & on my E Glide now with 51k on the clock (03by the way) with as many years in the saddle I like the bug catcher, & bag's She will drag the boards & pipes if I want to & it will hit the 120 mark if I want it to but in my mid 50's I'll just keep on keeping on my dresser:cool:
  12. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i am glad that the moco makes so many different models.....that way everyone can get what they want. vrods are not my cup of tea......if i was younger i would have one for sure!!!! i would check around for some deals on 07's, maybe even 06. they arnt good sellers in this part of the country, from what i see.......good luck and have fun!!!
  13. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

German, you ought to go talk to Robbie at USA cycles, he has the blacked out one. There's nobody out there that I know of that has had/ridden/built more Harleys than him. He could give you an honest opinion, he's ridden everything from hard tails to baggers, and now the v-rod. Good luck in your search for the perfect ride. Me personally, my next bike would be a Heritage softail or a custom that I build.
  14. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I've not owned a VRod... test rode a couple, doesn't feel like a conventional air cooled Harley..that ain't all bad. I will say this though, the VRod is a whole heck of a lot comfortable than the 999's you ride with..unless you're riding warp 9 at the track. The Low Rider is a pretty good bike. It's got that lazy front end geometry that doesn't "flick" ,the rear suspension isn't great but it is quite comfy. Me? I'd go with Works performance suspension front and back, fork brace..liven the motor up a little and have some fun. and when the need arises, you can throw some bags over the saddle of your low rider and go and see America..you can put a lot of miles [and smiles] on a low rider. The big touring rigs are more comfortable though..and you can get out and dangle on them too..just ask FLHTbiker..he knows
  15. FLHTbiker

Yea Sleepy, we have laid them over pretty good in the corners a time or two especially that time chasing SK on his FJR up that windy canyon road in southern Arizona. :D
  16. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I'd love to get out on another trip like that.
  17. FLHTbiker

I'm ready, well give me a few month to heal up first.
  18. gutierg

gutierg New Member

Voodochild,

That thought has already crossed my mind, I saw his V-Rod and thought it would be something worth trying. I will stop by and ask him for his opinion. He really knows the bikes and has as you indicated, ridden everything.
    Long time no talk, we need to ride before the weather comes in.

German
  19. gutierg

gutierg New Member

Sleepy,

Could not agree with you anymore there!. I truly enjoy my Low Rider, and as you said, I could do some more motor work and make it faster. My issue is not speed, I am not out there to prove that I can ride faster than the next bike. I am a deep admirer of anything Harley. I think baggers are great looking and I can't argue with FHLTbiker and his observations, he is right!!

I have and will always admire the classic look of any Road King, Electra-Glide, Dyna or Sportster, but I also happen to find the V-Rod very intriguing. The vast majority of riders do not seem to like its general apperance. I am, on the other hand, amazed at the looks of the machine, it is low, it is long, it has a fat rear tire, reputed to handle the turns very well, and it will make the average person take a second look, when it rides by.

I will test ride one this week sometime, and report how it feels. Thanks for your comments.

Regards,
    German
  20. FLHTbiker

You'll like it. I really considered one instead of my Springer but that Springer was so nostalgic looking I couldn't walk away and the fact that 2007 is the last year for the FL Springer.