1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Opinions on '06 Road King

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Welder, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Welder

Welder New Member

Hey guys,

I would like to hear anyone's thoughts on Road Kings. I am seriously considering buying an '06 Road King Classic, fuel injected. It's a one owner with 4500 miles. :)
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I've always liked the Road Kings and touring models in general. The 2006 is a solid year, no major changes with the fuel injection, nothing completely unique to that year which would make parts hard to find, and far enough along in the production of the TC88A engine that there's not much to worry about. I believe 2006 was when they introduced the reduced-effort clutch which makes constant clutch work in traffic much easier on the hand. Also the 06 has an improved charging system which is a plus. A 4500 mile bike sounds like a good deal as long as it hasn't been wrecked.

Ask if the FI mapping has been remapped or if it has an aftermarket control added (Power Commander, TMax). These add-ons certainly make the bike run better though if it is bone stock with original aircleaner and pipes then it may not make any difference.

Good luck with the purchase.
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I have always liked Road Kings had and had one for awhile till I moved up to the Ultra. What kinda price and color, got any pics? Starting in 07 they went to the 6 speed and the 96 inch motor.
    Depending on the platform, the TC96 produces between 90 and 93 lb-ft of torque at the crankshaft compared to the 78-82 lb-ft of the TC88.

From info on the Internet: Also new to the TC96 is the six-speed Cruise Drive transmission. Although sixth gear isn't a true overdrive, its 1:1 ratio reduces highway revs by 11% over the previous tranny's fifth gear. In addition, the Cruise Drive also includes helical-cut gears that cut down on the whine inherent in straight-cut gears. Internal changes to a dog-ring design makes for lighter and shorter-throw gear changes, and it is claimed to be 28% stronger.

The addition of 8 extra cubes in Harley's 2007 Big Twin models transforms an adequate powerplant into an impressive one.A new primary-drive system features an auto-adjust hydraulic chain tensioner system, a redesigned starter operation and better sealing. (H-D says this component is retrofittable to the TC88). A new carbon-fiber final-drive belt is narrower but 30% stronger.

I do own a 01 Springer with the 88 motor and can keep up with just about every body except some on acceleration but she still does pretty good. So depending on price and if its the color you like could be a pretty good ride. :)
  4. Welder

Welder New Member

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

The bike is a Black Cherry Pearl paint, looks showroom. Has windshield, sissybar with wide pad, always dealer serviced, one owner, always garaged, 4500 miles, some upgrades to fuel system (don't have all details, but done by dealer), and never dropped or had mechanical issues. Owner is moving, job related. I can purchase for 11,500.00
  5. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Price is right and you will like the roadking very versitile bike kinda goes both ways! Touring or bar hoppin, great all around model.
    Is it a custom or standard model?
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

is it in your garage yet?????????????:D
  7. Welder

Welder New Member

It's a Classic. My son in law has an '06, says he relly loves it.
  8. Welder

Welder New Member

I'm lookin to put it there real soon.

Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like we have some Road King fans out there
  9. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

One step closer to a geezerglide from your softail!!:cool:
  10. Welder

Welder New Member

I've looked at alot of bikes recently and would almost rather have an ultra, but the budget sorta dictates what i can spend. I really like the street glides more than any, but i think i can be real pleased with the Road King.

Thanks
  11. chucktx

there is so much you can do to the roadking, it can end up looking just like the streetglide....the aftermarket has all you need to make it happen.....
  12. FLHTbiker

I even had a color matching quick disconnect trunk on mine, wished I still had it, the guy who bought her totaled it.
  13. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Hate to hear one of your own goin down,I still see my old lowrider occasionally the guy hasn't changed a thing and he keeps her waxed up real nice too!!
    20061126_0002.jpg
  14. Welder

Welder New Member

Thanks to all you guys for the input, but i'm not gonna get that bike.:( I have instead purchased an '05 Ultra Classic. Just couldn't help myself.

I thought that i had made a deal on the Road King, but there was some confusion on someon's part and i let the bike go on by. I did a bit of searching on e-bay and found the ultra, really like dthe look of the bike and purchased it instead.

So guys, what are your thoughts on an ultra? The bike does not have the tour pak, but everything else is there. It looks a lot like some Street Glides that i have seen. :D
  15. chucktx

lets see some pics and some specs!!!!!!!!!:)

congrats on the purchase!
  16. FLHTbiker

Were is the tour Pak? If there is no tour pak what did they do with the Antennas for the Radio and CB? Hope your not paying a price that reflects a Ultra price that would have a tour pak.
    I have seen some Ultras where the tour pak was removed and the antennas were mounted down by the side bags. Some look pretty good. The 05 models had a really nice color, Red/Black. I almost bought one when I broke down in Idaho while trying to meet up with Sleepy. That red/black Ultra was a real beauty.

I love my Ultra and the tour pak is one of the reasons why I like it so much. I was out on it this morning for a couple of hours and really love the bike.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  17. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Pretty much the same as my 06 Classic except I don't have the CB or rear speakers. Only difference to that for a streetglide is ride height and some front end bling and lights! With no tour pak you might as well change the seat and windshield and viola you got a 2" higher streetglide with lowers :D
    Throw in a 95" kit,a tuner and cams and you got a Bad-ass streetglide LOL
    :worthless:
  18. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

You might like the Batwing fairing just a little.
  19. chucktx

the "ultra" may be a standard.......
  20. Welder

Welder New Member

Hey Blue Pearl,

I will do my best to remedy the "useless without pics issue" soon. I just back from South Carolina with the bike, rode it for about 30 minutes this morning and really was pleased with it. So i loaded it on a trailer (4 1/2 hour drive and a winter storm on the way for us) and yes Chuck, it is now in "the garage".

Title says Model: FLHTCU
    Milage was 8,406 when i crawled on it.
    Bike looks showroom, and runs great.
    Has am/fm/cd/cb, batwing fairing, lower fairings, etc. Too much to list, so i'll let the pics show the rest.

I was really all fired up to show this thing on here but i came home to bad news.

I have a family emerengecy out of town. Ole ladie's dad had to have surgery while i was away, so i'll will get pics posted in the next few day after i return home another 3 hour trip to the hospital where he is.

Gotta go!