1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Options

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Ashley, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Just got back from a fact finding trip to Turkey. I had a really helpful chat with staff at Bosphorus Motor (local HD guys) It looks like importing my bike is not going to be a good option so I will need to buy a Harley in Turkey when we move out next year. It means I will have to sell my Softail, this is sad. I get a new Harley, this is good.

The downside is motorcycles (and all privately owned road vehicles) in Turkey are taxed at "luxury" rates. Net result is a regular new Fatboy costs a little over 30,000 USD.

The upside is a I get a new (expensive) Harley. I am toying with two options. Option 1 - Road King. Option 2 - Softail, ideally a Night Train like concept and setting it up for touring. Thoughts anyone?
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

im sure ya looked at used bikes.....a soft tail maybe???? you travel 2 up most of the time, and carry quite a bit of stuff....i would opt for the roadking.....
  3. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

If you have to pay a luxury tax then you should get some luxury. Opt for the Ultra CVO, since your gotta pay the tax this way you get more bang for the buck.

God, I sound like my wife "look honey, I bought a $500 purse for half price. Since I saved $250 I bought a second one.":banghead::banghead:

glad I could help.....
  4. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Don't I wish I had the money to git a CVO Ultra:rant:
  5. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I'd go with the Road King if you're looking on putting some miles on.
  6. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I'm retiring, quitting the day job. I will be living on my work pension, so buying a CVO is not an option. A new Road King or a Heritage Softail are within the cash constraints but I cannot really go above that sort of money.

Or I go for something used which gives me space to add some cool bits. A DIY Softail Convertible springs to mind hence the Night Train as a base. It is nice to have the option of a screen for distance and to take it off for short trips.
  7. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Go with the used - new is fun but subject to all the little bugs the factory ain't gotten around to notifiying ya about.
    Will also leave a little cash in the pocket to make it yours.:)