1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.
  1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Well, on Friday Hot Rider and I decided to take a road trip. We decided that we were going to go South Dakota to a place called Twisted Choppers. Twisted Choppers is a custom bike shop that is located in Sioux Falls South Dakota.

We stated off at about 10:30 in the morning and headed west on Minnesota HW 7. About 45 miles into the ride we started to get wet. (NO Rain Gear). We just reduced our speed and pressed on. Finally at about 70 miles into our trip we decided that we wanted to stop to eat. We stopped in a town called Montevideo at a placed Duffy's. Great Food! This placed seemed to be a haven for motorcyclists. Very nice place. After that we pressed on to U.S. HY 212 West. This was kind of a nice stretch with some rolling hills and landscape, but nothing to fret over. As we were riding, we were going about 65 and a semi passed us going the other way. As the truck passed, I saw this big black thing heading straight for me. I tried to duck to miss it, but that effort was to no avail. SMACK! I get nailed right in the head just above my left eye. I had to pull over for this one because that hurt. I have no idea what that was. After that we continued another 30 miles and we got into Watertown SD. We stopped to ask where Twisted Choppers was but nobody knew. I thought that was strange. I find out that for some reason I though that Twisted Choppers was in Watertown. It isn't! We called them and they told us where they were located and then we continued south on I-29. Hot Rider and I were moving at a pretty good clip. We averaged 80 MPH the whole way. Oh yeah, I hate riding behind semis on the interstate. Just as we got into Sioux Falls, I had to flip on the reserve. Monkey Butt was setting in..
  2. JohnnyBiker

We were able to find Twisted fairly easy. We stopped in and chatted with Kai for a long time looking at their bikes. They were way cool. Anyways after we were done there which was an hour and a half later, we decided that it was time that we got. We stopped to get a bite and we headed east on I-90. About 3 miles into this we hit rain, and a lot of it. I tried to ride through it but it was just too much so HR and I pulled off to the side and waited it out for about 20 minutes. We got back on only to get hit again with a lot of rain. Once the rain calmed down we got off of the interstate and got something to drink, bought a map just so I could verify where I thought we were and where I needed to turn when I got to MN to get home. (We were only about 4 miles from the SD, MN border at this point).

Once we got into Minnesota it was fairly uneventful, no rain or anything. Just riding. We stopped in a town called Worthington MN and fueled up had a soda and then pressed on. As we were riding, I noticed in the east sky that it was lightning pretty good. It wasn't dark yet so I kicked it in the ash to make up some time as I also noticed that it was still pretty clear to the north. I was hoping that we would miss the bad weather.

Finally we to MN HY 15 North, took that and proceeded home.

This was an awesome first long ride experience. Hot Riders bike performed really well, got about 50 50-55 mpg, had some great food, and met some new friends over at Twisted Choppers. COOL!! :cool:
  3. bguillory66

bguillory66 Active Member

sounds like ya'll passed a good time, other than getting wet, and hit in tha head.
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

glad ya had a good/safe trip!!!!! now on to the pitshure show!!!!!
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Next time take rain gear, never leave home without it.:rolleyes:
    I sitting in a parking lot in a town called Mollala waiting for the pics. Hop those boots of HR did'nt get to wet :roflmao: You need a touring bike.
  6. JohnnyBiker

Some pictures of the place we ate at and of some bikes at Twisted Choppers

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      62.5 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      96 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      50.6 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      68.5 KB
      Views:
    • 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      83.2 KB
      Views:
    • 018.jpg
      018.jpg
      File size:
      77.1 KB
      Views:
    • 019.jpg
      019.jpg
      File size:
      67.4 KB
      Views:
    • 021.jpg
      021.jpg
      File size:
      73.7 KB
      Views:
  7. JohnnyBiker

I know that we need the rain gear but we don't even have saddles on the bike. :D As far as the touring bike goes, I like my buddies Heritage too much to go that rout just yet.
  8. Hot Rider

Hot Rider Active Member

I have to say it was kinda fun getting wet! Now if it would have kept raining that would have sucked because you never dry off!
  9. FLHTbiker

Back in the parking lot waiting for the next inspection to start. Not even the boys from Texas would say it was kinda fun to get wet:rolleyes:
    Riding in rain sucks.

Get the Heritage it's got saddle bags, put the rain gear in one and HR gets the other:D
  10. Hot Rider

Hot Rider Active Member

:D, I told JB it was really fun going on my bike but it would be nice to have more of a touring bike for the longer distance. Getting wet doesn't really phase me, when I was younger I use to corn detassel and if you didn't have full rain gear you did get wet or if it randomly started pouring when you were in the middle of the field and didn't have your rain gear on, but you dried out sooner or later. I wouldn't want to ride in it all day long that is for sure.
  11. JohnnyBiker

Well, I think that we need to go with that Heritage. It will be cheaper and it is such a nice looking ride.

Hey FLHT, riding in the rain isn't that bad..:D
  12. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Yep, and it gets cold around here when it rains.
  13. FLHTbiker

Well we finally got power back. All this wet weather this year claimed another great big tree that came down and took out the power lines on our road. Heard on the news that we had the wettist and coldest springs in over a hundred years. So much for global warming. :rolleyes:
  14. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

Used to spend alot of time in little Mexico,,, I mean Worthington. Used to be a cool town. Grew up 16 miles south of there. Didn't stop at J & L Harley in Sioux Falls ? They had bike night on Friday, which starts in the afternoon. Food, drink ect. Usually lots to see.
  15. Hot Rider

Hot Rider Active Member

LOL! That is what I said about Worthington!!!! When we were at the gas station and I asked JB if we were in Minnesota or Mexico!! It was different that's for sure.
  16. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

LOL & were having the dryest on record for over 100 years , The power companys are uses hilacoppers to wash the top of the power lines off cause the salt air is drying on them & blowing them out so no power , I watched them the other day out here damn good pilot
  17. FLHTbiker

Wow never heard of that before. There has got to be a happy medium someplace. :witsend:
  18. JohnnyBiker

Are you originally from MN Big Jake?
  19. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Man That would be nice they say we should get some rain this week , but where about 15in below normal for this time of year , I've useing soaker hoses around my drive way , garage, shop building , there all on slabs House is not ground is all crecked like out in the desert :(
  20. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

great pics jb!!!!!thanks for posting them. and hotrider is a real cutie!!!!!! there have been many times i have chased a rain cloud just to get wet!!!!!! lol lol