1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Over The Edge

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by sarge7, Jun 15, 2009.

1. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Finally got to do the DRAGON today (Monday) - It was awesome both ways- just as I was coming out of the north end it started raining, the road crews had been out on the DRAGON putting in new asphalt edges and the road had fresh tar tracks from there vehicles from half down all the way to the north end; got out of that area before the rain hit and stopped at the store on the north end for a break; talked to a couple of BADD riders from Maryland and found out there was a shorter way back to Pigeon Forge called the foothills Parkway. Fiqured WTF; it's raining and the road was 30 miles closer to a dry shirt.
    Well once I started the rain let up to a sprizzle but the roads were still wet; so I made the call to pull off into the rest area - got down to about 15 mph and made the turn but when I tryed to stop there was a wet spot and the bike and I continued to keep going right over the embankment.
    After I stopped and realized that I wasn't dead I slid off and crawled back up the embankment - checked my shorts and tryed to get my heart back to a normal speed - the pucker factor was so far up the scale I couldn't count that hi. A couple of cagers were watching me pull in and rushed over but were no help and the cell phones were to far out to pick a signal - for sure I wasn't going to get out without a tow.
    Bout that time a group of bikers who were behind came by and a 4 wheeler pulled in right behind - lucky for me the truck had a chain - it took the truck and six BIG dudes to get the bike back up the incline - had I went 2 more feet the bike and I would have been over a 50 foot drop off into the canyon.
    Anyhow the bike is fine and no injuries to me other than my pride. Got a lot of Tenn. dirt to clean off tomorrow.
    Will keep ya posted on the rest of the week if I survive facin the wife.

Ride Safe with God - He sure was looking after me today.
    And for MAYOR - The ride is done buddy - but your still in my thoughts - Go with GOD.
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Good to here your both ok , you can live with low pride & laugh about it in a few months
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

wow, sure glad your ok.....that slick stuff is nasty!! i assume that your not packin the ol'lady....ride safe and be careful!!
  4. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

God... I am glad you are ok... Musta been scary as all hell out... Maybe you didn't have a chance too... When things like that ahppen (I went down one day almost riding past an entrance and hitting gravel as I tried to turn in). It hapenned so fast its like I never had a chance to react.... I am glad all is good... Be extra safe now...:)
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Really glad your OK Sarge, that's gotta be scary. I almost locked handle bars with a guy going around a sharp corner last weekend with a 1/2 mile drop into a canyon. Guy with his lady on back was in my lane while it was raining. I know what you mean by cleaning your shorts. Really glad to hear your OK. Wet roads really do suck.
  6. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I'm glad you're here to tell us about it.
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I can tell you Western Carolina is great, roads are nice, but it's very dangerous for bikes.

I have picked up three friends bikes on those roads.

One went down when a van crowded the center line (he said he didn't but he did) then a second bike hit the first, trailered them both off..

ANother went down on a corner, gravel. no damage.

Don't ride at night if you can help it.

Great roads glad you're ok, musta been one heckofa pants changer sliding down the hill...
  8. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Checked out the bike in detail this morning and found raod oil tar all over the rear rotor- quick trip to the car wash and the bikes good as new.
    Thanks to all you guys for your concern; it is greatly appreicated.