1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Pacemaker, defibrillator?

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by NAILIT, Sep 23, 2011.

1. NAILIT

NAILIT New Member

Anybody ride with one? Reason I ask is that I currently have a temporary external defibrillator (Zoll life vest) The other day I was riding and the alarm started to go off, I reached down to press the buttons to reset it. If you don't reset it it thinks you are unconcious and will issue a treatment (shock).
    It happened again a few minutes later. So I pulled over and realized that I was ok, then I unplugged the monitor and continued on. I think it was the vibration that was setting it off...
    I'm scheduled for a permanant defibrillator implant next week, I assume I can continue riding once healed up...
    Any thoughts?

Chris
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I know and have talked to others who have permanent one and still ride, best to talk it over with the doc though.
  3. NAILIT

NAILIT New Member

Oh I will ask the doc also... I've only had my RK a couple weeks so I would be dissapointed if I couldn't put some miles on it... At 47 Yrs I have a lot of riding to do..
  4. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

A good friend has an implanted de frib. He doesn't ride. I don't want to scare ya but his defrib went off while he was sitting. Watching tv. It knocked him on his arse. He got shocked 2x until the doc got it setup correctly. BE CAREFULL once its in until it proves its not gonna shock you unless its life or death. But it does knock yer on yer arse. Think tazer

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  5. FLHTbiker

I do know that the pacemaker and a defibrillator are different. The Pacemaker controls the heart beat when the heart beat slows which can cause dizziness or even passing out. The defibrillator does give a shock in the even of a life threating condition and also has a pacemaker built in as well. Having a defib installed can limit driving conditions especially in the beginning until a doc has it set up correctly, kind of like your tuner on the bike. Except you probably don't need a Dyno to set it up correctly. I wouldn't go out and just jump on the bike to soon, like I said listen to the doc and wait until he says its OK.
    Good luck with it. :D
  6. Fatboy128

I'm with FLHTbiker on this. You don't want a shock while yer on two wheels! I wish you the best.
  7. NAILIT

NAILIT New Member

Thankyou... Doc says it's like getting kicked by a horse, I asked him if HE had ever been kicked by a horse? he coughed a bit and said 'well um, no'
  8. FLHTbiker

I don't think I would want to be kicked by a horse while riding, might hurt.
  9. Fatboy128

My buddy said it's the worse fn thing he ever experienced. He never wants to feel it again.
  10. FLHTbiker

But it worked cause it sounds like he is still alive. :)
  11. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I've got a pacemaker, have had it for over a year now. I have to go to a clinic every 6 months to have it monitored and checked. I was riding with in a week after the install. Have a friend who has had a pacemaker since he was 20 years old and he has been riding for 40 years with it. I'm lucky my cardiologist is a rider. He has a bunch of different kinds of bikes, I know a few are Harleys and some collectors of other models.
  12. FLHTbiker

That is funny, my cardiologist is a women and she does not like any kind of a motorcycle. So, every time I have gone to see her I wear a Harley T-shirt and a Harley hat. Last time there I told her why and we had a good laugh. Still, she is pretty cool. and has nice legs to. :D
    One time she had to shove this camera down my throat (size of a small ball) to check my heart valve repair. I never even thought about her legs as I was gagging the camera down. :roflmao:
  13. NAILIT

NAILIT New Member

HarleysLR,

Thats good to hear... Thankyou!!
  14. NAILIT

NAILIT New Member

FLHTbiker,

I had a heart mitral valve repair also, 2 months ago It ruptured and the heart went into fibrillation. One cardiologist is not sure if I need a defibrillator or not. The bad valve might have caused the fibrillation.
    The other Cardiologist who is also an EP says many people have bad valves and never go into fibrillation but you did... so he says why take the chance?
  15. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Besides the pacemaker I've had to mitrovalve replacements, The first was pig valve in 1984 and the last is a St Jude's man made valve in 1998. :D It's supposed to last a life time...:roflmao::roflmao:
    My biggest problem is ... I'm LAZY... :roflmao::roflmao:
  16. FLHTbiker

Mine was not a replacement. Mine was leaking at the top someplace and my lungs were filling up with fluid and my cardiologist said I was drowning. So they had to put a Mitro valve ring around it. Yea it's supposed to last a life tome to.
  17. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

I have a good riding buddy with the defib/pacemaker combo. He had it done in the winter and went thru all the adjustments and such before riding season. He's been on the road for 2 seasons now with no problems.
    Still, you have to weigh the pros and cons. He rides with his wife on back all the time, and is comfortable he won't have problems. Can't say I don't think about it when riding with him sometimes, but then, lots of bad things CAN happen anyway.
  18. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

:)The OL has one and was told by the doc that vibrations can set it off but she goes in every 6 months for a down load and re-alignment. The doc said that riding on a air suspende bike probably wouldn't hurt her but she doesn't ride anymore so it's a moot point.
    Best talk to you doc and do what he says.:)
  19. NAILIT

NAILIT New Member

Had the implant done yesterday, went well just a little sore for awhile when the percocet wears off! (careful, that stuff will kick your ass!)
    Both doctors, the cardiologist who did the surgery and the doctor that monitors and test's the defibrillator dont seem too worried about riding with it. They said if it goes off I should pull over and get checked out to determine why it went off, which is something I would do anyways...
    Im kind of thinking that if it goes off I should be able to pull in the clutch and stop on the side of the road....
  20. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Sounds good , your R King shouldn't vibrate to bad to set it off , there's a few on here who still ride with no problem happy riding