1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Paint/Clearcoat Repair

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Welder, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Welder

Welder New Member

Hey guys, A big ole KY good morning to everybody.

Looking for advise on possibly repairing the clearcoat on an '86 Softail Custom fuel tank. I purchased a used bike that has deepscratches/scars in the fuel tanks clearcoat, but paint appears to be ok. They are the result of throttle cable tubes rubbing the tank. The rest of the tank is in great shape.

Can these be repaired by sanding and touchup? If so, can anyone recommend a product? Is there an off the shelf touchup solution?

Have a great day.
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I've used 3M Imperial Hand Glaze (05990) to hand buff out scratches and it works great. Rub it in with a regular hand towel (not the wife's good ones), let it dry to a haze, then hand buff it out with a softer cloth.
  3. Welder

Welder New Member

Ken,
    Thanks for the tip. Some of these are pretty deep, so it may take more than hand rubbing. Do you know of a product that is used for such an application? Have a good one.
  4. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

Wait for Chucktx to post....I am sure he will see this....he does a bit of painting and has a few tricks!
  5. Welder

Welder New Member

Thanks AF Nurse,

I have, over the last few weeks read a lot of these threads. I have noticed that there are many resources on this forum. I really appreciate the input from you guys. It's a great feeling to know that other people are there to bring you up to speed on this sort of thing. Chuck seems like a great guy and he can bring a lot to the table when someone needs help. I look forward to hearing from more of the guys.

By the way, San Antonio is a beautiful city. I was there in '73. Wuld like to see more of that area someday.

Have a good one.
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

welcome welder........if the hand glaze doesnt get all the scratches, and i would try it first, then get some 2500 wet/dry sandpaper. fill a clean bucket with water and a few drops of dishwashing detergent. use the water mix with the sandpaper and sand the tank in straight lines, dont swirl. as you are sanding it will help greatly to have a small stream of water running over the area you are sanding. the soap in the water will help keep the sandpaper from gumming up. you dont want to sand through the clearcoat!!!! be carefull!
  7. chucktx

wipe the tank dry, and blow it off with air. use some 3M perfectit11..it comes in a black bottle.. and a slow buffer and buff the tank out. then use some 3M hand glaze with a soft cloth and rub it out by hand, do not use a buffer with the hand glaze as it is designed to be use by hand.......then stand back and comb your hair in the shine!!!!!!!!!!!! let us know how it goes!!!
  8. Welder

Welder New Member

Hey Chuck,

How much of a factor does air temp play in this process? My garage isn't heated. The damaged area is only about 1" x 1/2" in size but it is completely through the clearcoat. I will try your suggestion and get back to ya. It is something that can wait for warmer weather if temp is a concern.

Thanks and have a good one.
  9. chucktx

ok......more info on the repair,,,,,,,that is good!!!! lets start over.......if the clearcoat is missing, you will not be able to buff it out to match the rest of the tank. the clear is what gives the paint its shine. you will be able to get it close, but not perfect.
    use the 2500 wet/dry with the soapy water and gently feather the edges of the clear coat. try to stay off the painted surface as you will sand through it very quickly. then use the buffer and perfectit 11 then the hand glaze. the bottles do have a temp range on them.

the best way to repair it would do a spot repair of the clearcoat. it is a pretty easy process, if you want to try it. you can try to buffing process, and if it doesnt come out to your liking, i will walk you through the spot repair........or if you dont want to risk the chance of sanding through the base coat, we will attempt a spot repair.........:)
  10. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

What did I say??!! CHUCKTX! You da MAN!!!!
  11. chucktx

just trying to help a bit................lol
  12. chucktx

soooooooo, how did the repair come out?????
  13. Welder

Welder New Member

Waitin for warmer weather

:( Hi Chuck,

We've been having some real nasty, cold weather here. Over 700,000 out of power in the state. I got lucky and dodged the bullet this go round.

I'm hopin to get a chance this coming week. Temps are supposed to be in the 50+ range starting saturday and on through the coming week. Since your last post i did find some clearcoat in a bottle with a roller / brush application. I put on a couple of coats to see what it might look like. No sanding yet, but it's lookin like i should try some of the sand and elbow grease that ya suggested.

Figured i get back to ya and see how you might try the clearcoat spot repair ya mentioned last post. Thanks for the input.

Heres' to you, :cheers: Have a great weekend
  14. chucktx

if the clear you have drys real well, you may be able to wetsand it with 2000 grit wetdry and bring the level down to the original surface of the rest of the clear. a slight buildup of clear is good. you can always sand it back. then just hand polish it out.........
  15. reginasaskatchewancanada

reginasaskatchewancanada New Member

You Could Tank It To A Paint Shop And Have Them Wetsand And Reclear The Tank Without Having To Worry About Losing The Factory Colour And For Something Like That The Cost Should Be Fairly Minimal Thats What I Would Do
  16. DeuceBones

DeuceBones New Member

Hey Welder,
    Good KY evening to you from Murray.
    I have done a little body work and paint (custom) on tanks and fenders.
    I am not a professional body man, but my quick answer is that there are no shortcut solutions to what you describe. Although the wetsanding and buffing my help most of the scratches, if you get too deep you will have to clear again. Not just a patch of clear, but the entire tank to make it look right.
  17. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

And don't worry about the temp. if it's to cold you can take in the house and convert the bathroom into a paint booth. That way you have heat and running water. The better half will get over being mad sooner or later; mine did. Also an aside note - if you tear down the engine and soak it in the bathtub make sure you clean out the oil residue before you bath the kids, they hard to hang onto if they have a film of grease on them. LOL
  18. chucktx

hehehehehehehe.............before i had a shop, i had a livingroom and a dineing table!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  19. Welder

Welder New Member

Thanks for the input guys.

Been busy with other priorities and haven't really tried to do anything with the paint yet. For the present the tank is not that bad. I really like the factory paint scheme (Silver and Maroon) that she has, and I also plan to follow through on Chuck's suggestions, and go from there. I am mulling over the prospect of a complete paint job including the frame, but that will come when ridin weather is over.

Anticipation's a bitch, but ridin weather is not too far off. Weather here is currently 16 degrees w/ 5" of snow. Been out a couple of times when the roads were not icy. Put in a couple of hours a few days back and can't wait for another opportunity to get her back out...

Hey Duecebones, did the ice storm/ weather hit you very hard? We dodged the bullet on that one here in Letcher county, only a few of us here were out of power. Some of the surrounding areas got hit real hard. Power for some was out for a week or longer and a lot of downed trees. Hope to see ya on the road some time.

Hey Sarge, as for the bath tub, you got more grit that me ;). All my kids are grown and on their own, but we do have grand kids that use the tub on occassion.

Have a good one guys and be safe. :cheers:
  20. Welder

Welder New Member

Hey Chuck, by the way how did that turn out for ya, paintin on the dining room table? Ya gotta have a good better half there to pull that off! :D