1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Painting heat shields?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Hot01, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Is it possible?

I'd like to have black exhaust, but I like my pipes and don't want to change them. I looked into the black wrap, but my pipes are joined in the middle and that won't work. I've asked V&H if they make black heat shields. Well, I know they do, because I've seen the same pipes in black at Dennis Kirk, but I don't want the whole system. Anyway, is there some sort of high temp paint that can be used? Can they be power coated? Would that look OK? I'm not sure I want them shiny.
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

3. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Thanks! I checked it out, but I also figured out how I can do it with the tape. Now I just have to figure out what the ends of the pipes are going to look like without the chrome tips on them.
  4. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

If you like the look of the carbon tape, I'd recommend that. Just make sure you soak it real good before wrapping it - reduces the annoying dust greatly and llows for better control while wrapping. It's insulating properties are s'posed to help, too.
  5. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I believe we have the same exhaust system and
    I have thought of wrapping my pipes to and wondered about the ends, I think when wrapped the wrapping will make the pipes about the same thickness as the heat shields and the ends should look and fit ok.
  6. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I was thinking the same thing. I was going to buy 100'. I found a pretty good deal on Thermo-Tec. If I have a bunch left over, would you want some? I don't want to buy 50' and then need another 10'.
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

send them to me, i can also airbrush on them...........just sayin..
  8. Chrome

Chrome New Member

The black tape wrap I think would look cool...
  9. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I'm like an old crow, I like em shiny. :D
  10. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Let me know what you have left over, I plan to be up that way in the next couple of weeks, I need to go to the Greeley dealer and Thunder Mountain to get my Passport stamped. We'll also be going to Cheyenne & Laramie sometime this month.
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

You could paint them, first you'd need to scuff them up with some 0000 steel wool so the paint has something to stick to then clean them up very very very good no finger oils, etc or the paint won't stick.

DEI makes exhaust wrap, paint, and silicone spray for the wrap.

Used it on my Bassanis to turn them black

Motorcycle Pipe Kits

For the least cost just sand with a 400 grit sanding sponge, clean, then use a wire hanger to hook the pipes up to a branch on a tree (don't want overspray inside) and paint, use short quick strokes so you don't get runs, let them dry up good, a heat gun is good to help then put them on the bike.
  12. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

I got mine powder coated and they look a lot better than any paint I tried.
  13. Wideglide85

Wideglide85 Active Member

We do some high-temp powder coating on indusrial exhaust parts for one of our customers. The finish is slightly textured, but it looks good and is very durable. I plan to do my 2-1 Paughco pipes in black this winter, and leave the heat shields chrome. I've also used ceramic header paint from an auto parts store with good results, but you have to touch-up once in a while.
  14. hotroadking

I'll get some pictures of the old AR3's I redid for a project, well a keep my big arse out of the kitchen pantry project, been sitting around for 8 years, blued, in bad looking shape, put them on the Heritage to break in the paint LOL they did fine, back one bubbled, so I didn't get it clean, just took a brass wheel on the bench grinder, cleaned it off, scrubbed it with some denatured alcohol, repainted, and its golden.

Get a pick of the bassani's too.

The paint is at any parts store $6 or $8 a can, one should do it all....
  15. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I ordered 100 feet of black wrap and a can of the coating. It was $50 for 50 feet at Auto Zone, $60 for 50 feet at Napa, and $75 for 100' at a small online retailer. Neither of the chain stores had the coating. So for free shipping and no sales tax, I got 100'. After doing the math, I think I'll need about 70 feet. The math was real ball park though, what with diameter times pi in my head and guessing 5' long pipes and 2" diameter under the heat shields and assuming a 1/2" overlap... so I have no idea how close I'll be. I probably should have pulled out a tape measure.

I'd love to ride up to Cheyenne and Laramie with you. Your wife going too?
  16. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Yes, Judy will be going also, I'll let you know the date.
    When you are done with wrapping we'll know how much it took and I can order enough to go with what you have left over.
  17. hotroadking

100 ft should be plenty. I used the 50 foot roll and it did two bassanis without
    a problem, they are shorter pipes.

You should be able to get the silicone high temp spray by DEI at any auto parts store although it's not necessary to use, it just extends the life of the wrap.

Now when you go to wrap you will want to wet the wrap, it makes it easier to install, and you need to get a tight wrap, I know you had a hand problem so take your time and pull firm to get it tight.

Overlap will be in the instructions, 1 inch wrap is the best, so I hope that's what you got, 2 inch works takes less wrap but is harder to get that nice line and around curves.

The curves eat up the length as you overlap some on the inside of the bend.

I go around the pipe once at the header flange outlet end about 1 inch down as you need to have room to be able to move the mounting flanges so you can mount the header to the head. Did you get the metal zip ties. if not a standard band clamp will do but it will rust and discolor from the heat cycles. So you might want to get some of the metal ties from a parts store, Advance carries them. They can cut fingers easy and you'll want a pair of needle nose or standard pliers to pull them tight.

Once you start and get a couple of wraps, use a large zip tie to clamp it down and hold in place so you don't have to hang on to it.

Practice makes perfect don't be surprised if you have to back off some work, watch the overlap on the bends, no open areas and you'll be fine.

I would err on the side of too long is good if you plan on cutting it before you wrap, frankly I don't, I wrap from the roll then cut after the first pipe, you can't make a short hose longer....

Damp is key, not soaking wet, damp... Also if you got the black wrap, unless you like black fingers and hands, pick up some surgical latex gloves at a CVS, that stuff gets everywhere.
  18. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Sounds like it will look really cool.
    I wish I could see it after it is done hhmmmmm :rolleyes:
  19. hotroadking

Here is a decent link to how to do it...

[YOUTUBE]PrWl61q2u4Q[/YOUTUBE]