1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Painting wood help

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Hot01, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I realize this has nothing to do with motorcycles, but with all you manly men here that do so much, maybe someone can help.

I moved into this house with the most fugly colored cabinet doors ever. In addition to being plain ugly, the paint has tiny bumps throughout it. The landlord was thrilled that I wanted to paint it, so I picked out a color at Home Depot and bought that paint with the primer in it. The paint is called "Autumn Maple", and it's dark. The guy at Home Depot said I could probably cover with one coat, so I bought a quart.

I started yesterday. I took one door off and sanded it. It didn't go all the way down to the bare wood (I think it's particle board, actually), but the gloss bumps came off. The cabinets had been painted before the baby-poop brown/green had been applied, so I'm working on the third paint job.

I applied the first coat and saw there was no way I was getting coverage in one coat. Called Home Depot and was told they said it would cover in two coats. Whatever. A few hours later I put the second coat on. Still not good enough. I called Home Depot and went off on them, since I'd been first told one coat, then two coats, and I would have bought a gallon for $30 instead of a quart for $15 if I'd thought I needed more than two coats. They said they'd made me a gallon for $15. Not thrilled that I was going to need to put at least 3 coats on the doors - might as well primed it and bought less expensive paint that isn't so darn thick and hard to brush on.

I noticed some bumps after the second coat and did some light sanding before applying the third coat. Woke up this morning and found more bumps - the same ones I sanded off originally. I sanded those and went for the 4th coat, which is not going to be good enough. :gah:

Someone thought it might be that the original paint is oil-based, which is causing the bumps. Does this sound right? If so, will regular primer solve this problem? Can I use primer under the paint with primer?

Right now I see my options as:

1. Sand, prime and paint with the same paint
    2. Sand, prime and paint with new paint that doesn't have the primer in it
    3. Sand and paint with oil-based paint - would I need to prime?

Any thoughts?
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I would get some paint stripper & take it down then prime & paint , it does sound like the two aren't mixing well , so one is most likely oil based
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Like Cowboy said Strip it off all the way to the bare wood. You can buy paint stripper in a can works pretty good and maybe use some steel wool. Then do some light sanding. Next best thing is don't buy your paint at the box store. If you bought Bear Paint from them get rid of it as its junk. Get yourself a good brand of paint, Miller is great if you have it.
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

yeah might be the reason

Did SIL's we primed with a good primer first vs the blended primers, just prefer to do that
    which also has advantage if something goes wrong the primer shows it.. JMO..

Sounds like you have a good project, sand, strip (the wood) then sand, prime, paint..
  5. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I can't do it nekkid?

Chuck, your turn... :roflmao:

Thanks guys!. I sanded and primed a small drawer face and am giving that a try. If I still have issues, I'll go with stripping and new paint.
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

first problem is your working with other folks work. the new paints with primer added are a shortcut that seldom work as advertised. always sand, prime, paint. a great midcoat/primer that will stop any bleeding is "kilz".......good luck with the project!!!! maybe a pic or two....

amazing..............i gave up my turn!!!!!!!!!:roflmao::roflmao::D
  7. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

Since you are working with a darker paint, you may also consider using a primer that is darker. many people think that primer has to be white....while that is how MOST of it is sold, that does not mean that it can not be tinted. This would mean that adding a color to it is not going over "stark white" requiring a second coat....may need second anyway, but would be less noticeable. I agree....sand/strip down to wood, then fine sand, then prime (with a darker color in a direction that you are going), then paint.....if needed, second coat.
  8. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I have to agree with FLHT on that bear brand paint , I hane tried it twice & neather time was just a one coat deal I switched to sherman willams much better job & kilz primer works real good
    PS get some rubber gloves if you use the stripper some cheep one from a dollas store like the ones for dish washing will be just fine
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  9. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

KILZ primer is the way to go - after you sand it down.
    Good Luck!
  10. hotroadking

Hey it's a free country, if you are going to strip before painting please allow 3 to 5 days for all of us to arrive .. to help I mean. yeah that's it..

:D
  11. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Don't look to me like you gave up your turn. But don't know if Abby will strip and take pics for ya :D Or will ya Abby :p
  12. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

If these are particle board doors the bumps you are getting might be the glued on paper coming off- sand lightly and like the boys told you use the Kilz it is great for stabilizing and sealing the surface! Not that we all wouldn't like to see you strip but the stripper might lift up more than paint try it on back of door first.
  13. hotroadking

yeah good advice always try it first in a place where others can't see it, that way if you find it isn't working it's not a big deal...
  14. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

:roflmao: I got to stop but that was funny for a twisted mind.
  15. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Abby stripping with pics? Coooooooooool.........:cool:

I'm sorry - couldn't hep m'self - Lord, I apoligize!

Git-r-done!

:cheers:
  16. chucktx

bless the little pygmys in southamerica.......:)
  17. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Pretty soon she's going to think we all have a one track mind......;) well.... yep :D
  18. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Abby has been here long enough to know it isn't a track at all, it's a runt LOL.

So how is the doors coming along Abby?
  19. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Pygmys in South America? I don't think I want to know.
  20. chucktx

thanks!! i really didnt want to go there either!!!!!!!!:D:D