1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Passing through GA??? Motorcycle Checkpoints

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Crankshaft, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Crankshaft

Crankshaft New Member

I just received this e mail... I posted it in the "Soap Box" too...
    As many of you know, the State of Georgia received $70,000.00 from the NSTB for Motorcycle ONLY Safety Check Points. They will stop all Motorcycles at these Check Points. We were informed by unnamed sources that the Check Points would start in early March to coincide with The Daytona Bike Week Event. Most points of entry to Florida will be involved. We are anticipating them to start March 3rd in order to take advantage of the additional flow of Motorcycle traffic thru our State. I was told that the officers conducting the safety check points have been trained in what to check for so be sure you, you paper work and your bike are in order. We understand that this is just a way to increase revenues so do all you can to avoid adding to the statefunds. There are many who Trailer into Georgia and ride into Florida from here. You may wish to change your plans and trailer on through to Florida Dan Forrest,
    State Director of A.B.A.T.E. Georgia
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Ya thanks thats some info to know darn feds :fight:
  4. Crankshaft

Crankshaft New Member

Whether you`re planning a trip or not, Contact our governor and let him know WHY you`re NOT spending YOUR money in GA
    georgia.gov - Contact Governor Deal
    Residents of GA;
    Let our governor be reminded what his job is; to protect our constitutional Rights as Americans...

Help spread the word, Please post this on all the Bikers related forums you visit...
    Thanks Folks!!!
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Papers? We din need no steenking papers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. Crankshaft

Crankshaft New Member

I kinda figured more folks wouldda done commented that they sent our governor an e mail, by now...
    I KNOW, it`s only one day into this post...
    With all the folks headed to FL the end of the month we need to get this word out, or better yet, get these checkpoints STOPPED!!!
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Well I'm already here
    and if I want ta go north we
    really don't have an option.

Just have to have my proper helmet
    paperwork and permits with me

I think we'll vacation in Alhuhbammer this year
    on the bike trip vs going to nawth geawguh...
  8. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Don't just bother the GA Gov - contact your U.S. Congressman - that is who can stop this the quickest.

Georgia isn't the only state playing this game (and it is a game of "take the money & run". as the fed NHTSB supplies the money and the state "executes" the spending - or waste -thereof). New York started this crap, infecting the rest. Here is a link to some background:
    NHTSA Still Pushing Motorcycle-Only Checkpoints Nationwide | Southwest Scooter News

If you google "Motorcycle ONLY Safety Check Points" you'll see more info.

My reaction to these checkpoints? Passive resistance: I will ignore the signs and keep riding. They will then have to catch up to me, turn on the pretty lights and pull me over, well away from their checkpoint station. They will then have to explain what law I have broken and lawfully direct me to return to the station. I will comply, in a very deliberate manner - to ensure my safety and my complete understanding of what is going on. I may even need to to get off the bike and rest from the excitement of being pulled over for no apparent reason. I will then stay very calm (and, to help with that, I will move very SLOW), and very polite, throughout.

If everyone does this, the checkpoints will get like 12 bikes a day on the busiest stretches of highway.

But really, I expect this idea will die soon, anyway, as Congress will be cutting NHTSB's budget because of this.
  9. Hefitz

Hefitz New Member

I lived in Georgia for three years. At that time there was no annual vehichle inspections required. Not sure about now. I can attest to the fact that there was some of the rattiest, unsafe cars on the road you've ever seen. At night it seemed that 1 out of 10 cars only had one headlight. So, to target motorcycles under the guise of safety is pure B.S.. And violated the 14th ammendment as it relates to "fair treatment under the law". If they want to have safety check points, then it should apply to all vehichles.

This is similar to a law they tried to pass in Florida a while back that would have made fines for speeding on a motorcycle more than the fines for cages. It was shot down as being arbutrary and not constitutional.
  10. chucktx

11. Crankshaft

Crankshaft New Member

Here is some GOOD News on this matter, Keep the e mails and calls coming!!!
    I got this one from Dan...

February 11, 2011

The Governors Office of Highway Safety [GOHS] has requested a meeting with A.B.A.T.E. of Georgia's Legislative Director, Linda Allen and the State Director Dan Forrest.

This meeting is to discuss the concerns that A.B.A.T.E. and our membership have regarding the reported Motorcycle ONLY Safety Check Stops.

Your calls and letters are in part responsible for this meeting. Your voice is being heard in Atlanta.

Do not let up on this important issue. Keep calling and writing you Senators and Representatives. Let them know that you feel this is against all that Freedom stands for.

Thank you

State Director

A.B.A.T.E. of Georgia

Dan Forrest
  12. Crankshaft

Crankshaft New Member

Here`s the LATEST e mail I`ve gotten from our Director...

Hello A.B.A.T.E. Family, As we get ready for Bike week and the impending check points A.B.A.T.E. wants to provide every resource to riders who live in or cross our great state. So here they are! SMARTPHONE users: email: secretary@abatega.org if you roll up on a checkpoint, please let us know the location and who you are. ALL CELL PHONE users: TEXT us at (404) 981-5612 with the letters "CP" at the beginning of your text message followed by your location and name(so we can match it to your phone number to verify who you are). We will in turn log your message then post TO OUR FACEBOOK the locate of your check point. CAMERA PHONE and CAMERA users: Capture any footage you can and (PICTURES AND VIDEO!) email us, we will provide you an upload location if your file is too large to email otherwise please send it to secretary@abatega.org As we enable additional resources everyone we will post them to our facebook page. -- Ned Williams Secretary of State, A.B.A.T.E. of Georgia

Please be Careful on yor way to and from Daytona!!!
    Ride Safe,
    Dennis
  13. Crankshaft

Crankshaft New Member

March 3, 2011

NEWS RELEASE

GSP EXPANDS MOTORCYCLE SAFETY INITIATIVE

(ATLANTA) - The Georgia Department of Public Safety (DPS) has received a grant from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to collect data over the next two years to improve motorcycle safety. The $70,000 grant will be used to conduct six, one-day safety checkpoints between March 1 of this year and December 31, 2012.

Lt. Colonel Mark McDonough, DPS Deputy Commissioner, said the goal of the checkpoints is to reduce the number of crashes involving motorcyclists that result in injuries and fatalities. "In a six-year period, Georgia has seen the proportion of fatal motorcycle crashes grow to 12 times greater than that of passenger cars," he said. "Additionally, traffic crashes involving motorcyclists result in injury or death for 72 percent of the motorcycle operators compared to 16 percent of occupants of passenger cars."

Georgia saw a sharp increase in the number of fatal crashes involving motorcyclists between 2005 and 2008 as the number of motorcycles registered in the state reached an all-time high. There were 167 motorcycle operators or passengers killed in crashes in 2008.

Lt. Colonel McDonough said the Department initiated a public education project in 2009 to raise awareness among all drivers of the need to watch for motorcyclists. The efforts included safety education presentations to school, church and civic groups by Georgia State Troopers as well as media outreach. Also, the Georgia State Patrol launched specialized patrols that included aviation support during the summer months when weekend motorcycle traffic is the heaviest. The enforcement effort along metro Atlanta interstates is focused on motorcycle operators traveling at a high rate of speed, weaving in and out of traffic, traveling in the emergency lane, or driving recklessly around other vehicles. Lt. Colonel McDonough noted troopers have also cited motorcycle operators popping "wheelies" while traveling the roadways.

Since the public education initiative was implemented among all drivers across the state, the number of motorcycle-related fatalities has decreased in Georgia from the 167 recorded in 2008 to a preliminary count of 110 people last year, a 35 percent decrease. So far in 2011, there have been six motorcycle fatalities.
  14. Crankshaft

Crankshaft New Member

March 3, 2011

NEWS RELEASE

"The first step in reducing motorcycle deaths was the educating of all drivers of the dangers motorcyclists face on our roads, and now the next step will combine enforcement and education to enhance the safety of motorcycle operators and passengers," he said. "We will be checking to make sure the operator has the proper class of license to operate a motorcycle and a DOT-approved helmet. We will also check that the motorcycle is in good operating condition with good tires, a headlight, and a taillight that is working." The Lt. Colonel said troopers will be concentrating on the basic violations to protect the operator and passenger in the event of a crash and minimize the injuries they sustain.

The first safety checkpoints of 2011 will be conducted Wednesday, March 9 from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. along Interstate 75 at the Southbound Commercial Vehicle Inspection Station in Monroe County. During the same time period, another checkpoint will be established at the Southbound Commercial Vehicle Inspection Station along I-95 in Chatham County, north of Savannah.

Lt. Colonel McDonough said the checkpoints will operate in the same manner as passenger vehicle safety checks conducted each day across the state. Motorcycle operators will be directed by portable highway signs to exit the interstate at the inspection stations where troopers or officers will check that the operator has the proper class of license for the vehicle, a valid tag, a federal DOT-approved motorcycle helmet, and that the operator is not under the influence of alcohol. "For the average operator with the proper license and equipment, the delay should be about a minute," he said.

The Deputy Commissioner noted that between 2000 and 2006, the fatal crash rate increased 60.8 percent. "Our goal is to make travel in Georgia safer, especially for motorcyclists who are at a greater risk of injury or death in a crash," he noted.

Additional safety checks will be held in the spring and fall this year.
  15. ironboltbruce

ironboltbruce New Member

Motorcycle Checkpoints: American Bikers Need Not Deal with the Devil...

Motorcycle Checkpoints: American Bikers Need Not Deal with the Devil to Defeat Them

In their release entitled "11NR09 - MRF News Release - United States House of Representatives Bill to Prohibit Funding for Motorcycle Checkpoints" ( http://bit.ly/gxCy7x ) the Motorcycle Riders Foundation implies that American bikers should KISS Fascist Fat Jim Sensenbrenner's a*s so they can stay in General Population. To the contrary, I say that American bikers should KICK Fascist Fat Jim Sensenbrenner's a*s so they can help bring down the Prison!

Fat Jim Sensenbrenner is the sponsor of the USA Patriot Act:

Motorcycle Riders Foundation (MRF) Commends the Sponsor of the USA Patriot Act Riding, Rights & Revolution :: One Biker's Rage Against the Kleptocracy

Fat Jim Sensenbrenner is the sponsor of the REAL ID Act:

REAL ID Act Sponsor & Fascist Kotex King Fat Jim Sensenbrenner Pushes Hard for Implementation of his Orwellian Big Brother Bill Riding, Rights & Revolution :: One Biker's Rage Against the Kleptocracy

Fat Jim Sensenbrenner's next bill may eliminate all rights to privacy on the Internet:

Fat Jim Sensenbrenner Threatens ISPs, Demands End to Internet Privacy so Big Brother Knows as Much About You as Facebook Does Riding, Rights & Revolution :: One Biker's Rage Against the Kleptocracy

If American Bikers have become such spineless Sheeple that they can only protect their rights by sucking up to the very people that are icons of all that we (should) oppose, then they deserve and should expect the ugly fate that awaits all COLLABORATORS when real freedom fighters wrest control from their fascist oppressors.

Well NOT ME, boys and girls: I SAY GROW A PAIR... LIKE I TOLD YOU MONTHS AGO ( http://bit.ly/gmHPU5 ), MAKE THE CHECKPOINTS TOO COSTLY AND THEY'LL GO AWAY.

F**K FAT JIM. AND F**K THE MRF...

IronBoltBruce
    Riding, Rights & Revolution :: One Biker's Rage Against the Kleptocracy

###

Source: Motorcycle Checkpoints: American Bikers Need Not Deal with the Devil to Defeat Them Riding, Rights & Revolution :: One Biker's Rage Against the Kleptocracy
  16. Crankshaft

Crankshaft New Member

I had to bust it in the middle fer it to fit...
    BUT;
    Here`s the latest update on the checkpoints...
    It READS Like they are doing us a favor at these checkpoints...
    ROLLSEYES!!!,
    Crank
  17. chucktx

18. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

check points for motorcycles & dot checks for 18 wheelers , then why don't just mix the two & add all cars & pick-up truck in as well , heck they already have weight stations for big rigs , just put it all there & save money , not putting any ideas in there heads , heck I use to know ways around the scales ,I'am ure if I knew where the bike check points where I could get around them as well :D