1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

patches and placements

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by voodoo1, Oct 16, 2005.

1. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

ok, this ain't about motorcycles as much as patch placement..well the proper etiquette for patches on vests or jackets. I know about the difference in two and three patch clubs...but someone asked me about patches like ol' military squad patches,.non club patches...etc..anyone "know the proper location for certain kinds of patches for the general public?....non-club riders.
    things might have changed since I ever paid attention to something like that but hey ya never know if it matters..after all fellas dye their hair now and pierce both ears and so on and so on...me I have yet to wear a pair of sandals other than rubber ones at the beach a few times.(LOL)not here to start a controversy over sandals but anyone know about any patch detail?
  2. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

no one......???

anyone got...... anything? :confused: :D ;) :cool:
  3. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

can't really help here

..don't have a clue actually..all I know is that if you're in a 1% club's territory and your 3 pice patch ain't theirs you can probably expect some guidance..the rest of it I don't know.
  4. usahellas

usahellas New Member

patches

hmmmm, i guess it really depends upon who you hang with as well as how the local clubs accept things. Now I only know how things go in Europe but normally as long as you do not try to make your vest look like a 3 piece club patch you are OK. I need to get a new pic of my vest up. I have the unit patches of both of the units i served in on the front of my vest, plus a US Army patch, and a POW MIA Patch. ON the back i have some patches representing my name on most web sites "USA HELLAS" which include a US Flag, Greek Flag, HD Logo and so on.

So i can make you no promises but NORMALLY as long as your vest or jacket does not make it look like you are a member of a 3 piece wearing club you are OK. That is my 2 cents and that what I have seen here in Europe and heard about in the US. Worst case you have patches on and the local club does not like them. You enter an area where they frequent they will normally approach you and ask you to remove the patch or patches they find offensive. They will not be mean or rude or jump you or whatever. Like i said they will ask you. "The first time that is".

Peace!!! Put on those unit patches and crest. Show pride for what you did. From what i have heard from someone stateside military patches are never looked down on by any clubs. of course this is no promise. Just do not try to set up your vest or jacket like a 3 piece club patch and 99% of the time you wil be A OK.

My 2 cents again. **** i think i repeated myslef. hehehehe
  5. Goose

Goose New Member

I haven't ridden with a club or worn colors in 25 years. Have no desire anymore. I'll ride with small groups of friends occasionally, or just solo. I'm not much into clubs. We have a local cruiser club here, all brands and touring bikes, too. But, they're a bunch of rich weekend biker types for the most part. I know a few of 'em, mostly posers. Besides, their club name is "Rainmakers". Is that ***, or what???? :rolleyes:

ROFLMAO!
  6. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

thanks

yeah..I live by about three wanna be biker bars around here and only seen a few incidents where the local folk have their "bar club" get paid a visit from the 1%. They were asked to remove the patchwork they were wearing immediately..The first and only chioice. I was just sitting there minding my own bsuiness. Now when I lived out by Strugis you could find out real quick what a patch meant what from the local 1% clubs up the street from me then and during Sturgis week. I just wanted to make sure there has been no big movement and I tell my buddy something wrong. Thanks!!!!! The Rainmakers!?!?!??!...Wow.....no comment....
    :D Think I'll stay Solo or hang out "when invited" by friends to go-uh riding!!!
    Weekend bar clubs..well if that is all the time ya got, I guess get the riding in To start a riding club and all??? I bet these are the same fellas that as soon as riding season is over are patting each other on the butt during softball season and flag football games" :D More power to'em? :rolleyes: just leave me out of it. ;)
  7. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Yepper.

Sleepy thats was funny. :D
    O.K.,,, I’ll put my two cents in,,, First, not that it’s imperative, but I wore a three piece patch for a couple-few years. So I feel I can shed a little light on your patch dilemma. Patches like “ I ride a Harley-Davidson” , military unit, I rode here, I rode there, don’t fall off, ect, are just patches. Two things to be aware of,,, As long as your friend is not planning on a three piece scheme, two rockers and a center patch, then he’s cool. The second and probably more important is ‘colors’. I know your just talking about military type patches,(I think), so this is for the ‘new’ folks who think a club patch would be a nifty idea. Before you go out and have a bunch of patches made up in, lets say,,, Red and White, I suggest you go out and investigate who’s colors are what, having the wrong or UNAUTHORIZED colors will get your nifty-neat patches ripped off your back. That’s just a fact. I am just trying to be informative, not a bad ass.
  8. SK

SK New Member

I quit wearing patches several years ago..don't even like wearing a black leather vest any more. But I've got quite a few friends in STAR. STAR Motorcycles is the spin-off cruisers from Yamaha. Any way..several of em have been hassled because their large patch resembles a 3 piece patch setup. They've found that going to talk to the local 1% dudes (usually seeking out their head guy) and letting em know they're a family outfit and just out for fun has eased their problems. Usually they're only hassled by the 1% newbies trying to prove something. The guys who've been around for a while usually don't give a crap if you let em know up front.
  9. CD

CD Guest

Guess I've been a loan wolf too long....I do not really pay attention except for those that are flying club colors. There are so many Hogsters with a patch for last "run" to their gas station that it is not funny. :( A patch or pin meant something, a special event, ride etc. You had to attend the event to get the pin etc. Now, they are sold or traded amongst the look at me crowd.

When I raced in the desert, you got a pin for that race only if you were there and raced! You picked your pin up after the race or they mailed it to you.

Now, as to where to wear my patches? I'll wear a patch anywhere on my jeans except the seat. :p
  10. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Yepper CD, I totally agree with you. A lot of prefab motorcycle enthusiasts out there now days. SK you have the right approach/outlook on things. Me, I don’t go out to the bars or hangouts much anymore, just ride when I can and when I cant ride I stay home with mama and the animals, she says I don’t play well with others. :eek:
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2005
  11. kgc

kgc New Member

On the topic of patches and MC (Motorcycle Club) vrs. RC (Riding Club) I found this site very interesting. I don't know who the author is but my guess is that they are a "Patchholder" or ex "holder".

http://home.earthlink.net/~rcvsmc-edu/index.html

kgc
  12. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

thanks all

cool site..all common sense the "avg. joe" might wanna know to keep themselves out of trouble with a bit of respect. But chances are the Rubs and others won't run into any problems at the local BW3s and Big name hangout out events by radio stations at local bars. But hey I'll pass this on to my buddy..hopefully it'll help seeing it in print instead of me telling him.