1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Patriot performance 2-1

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by baggerpaul, Jun 4, 2012.

1. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

well guys the patriot performance 2-1 that i got for christmas was driving me crazy with intake revision noise coming out of the air cleaner never had a pipe make that much noise . alot of it has to do with the late intake close of the cams that im running . and i also went away from the true duals . with the short intake tract its very un forgiving . if your not running 10.25.1 compresion and a short intake close your pipe come in to play alot if ya have an intake close of 50 . went to a shorter primary 2-1 and modified a longer muffler that was on a rinhart 2-1 . intake noise is gone and its not a step header as the patriot pipe was .torque came up quite a bit as well in the lower rpm and i was able to lean the main down some as well . much better responce in the 2100 to 4500 range pulls like a mule to 6200 . learned alot playing with the exhaust on the bagger . its crazy how much a pipe comes in to play when your intake track is so small . not forgiving at all . p.s. tuned with a wide band air fuel meter on the street . set at 12.5 to 13.5 . buddys dyno down for an upgrade soon as its done will throw a sheet up on the forum gotta wait on some heads from kirby first then ill dyno it .
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Mine is going back on the dyno soon. I think that I am going to be happy with what is accomplished when I get it back. I decided that the only way that I am going to get different pipes is if this key doesn't do what it is that I want it to. Although I do think that the key will do the trick.

Glad to hear that you got the reversion issues taken care of. :cool: When is it going to go on the dyno?
  3. baggerpaul

when the heads are done with kirby . ill get all that chit bolted on and then ill tune it on the dyno . and print a new sheet . still havent put it on since the big bore . maybe ill get lucky and my buddys dyno will have the upgrade done and installed . and i can do a pull and compare the . runs before and after the head work . will see .
  4. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Mine goes back on on the 21st of this month. I just saw some dyno numbers from my indy that he did a +4 key on, similar build as mine. The average gain that I saw was about 10/10 and in the range that I am looking for. :cool:
  5. baggerpaul

That would be nice!
  6. dynasoar

dynasoar New Member

What exactly is intake revision noise and what does it sound like ?

Thx
  7. baggerpaul

sounds like the exhaust is comming back up the air cleaner . and the intake valve is not sealing . you can hear the combustion event back in the air cleaner . happens with long duration cams and cams with late intake closing. back in the days some evos you would see the fuel vapor spit back out and carbon up the butterfly on the carb. running a cam with to much duration and lacking enough compression will also do it . i should be running a little more cylinder pressure than i am right know so it comes in to play as well . but the pipe was not helping things at all the noise was not there when i had the duals on the bike . and it showed up when i put the 2-1 on .
  8. dynasoar

dynasoar New Member

Thanks for the explanation. Does this noise occur at certain RPM or is consistent through out.
  9. baggerpaul

under load 1800 to 2600 then its gone. No ridability issues really just noise
  10. dynasoar

dynasoar New Member

Sorry Baggerpaul, not trying to hijack your thread. I just changed cams and I have been hearing a noise that seemed to be coming from the AC. when the bike was just starting to move....low RPM....but the bike runs great. I think I know what it is now.

Thanks
  11. baggerpaul

Sounds just like the exhaust sound but lower level as you ride and lug the motor a bit and roll the throttle and then when your peek power comes on it gone correct?
  12. dynasoar

dynasoar New Member

pretty much yes.
  13. baggerpaul

What cams you running"?
  14. dynasoar

dynasoar New Member

Andrews 48 h, with rinehart 2-1 exhaust, maxflow AC, Thundermax/autotune
  15. baggerpaul

Intake closes at 41 and it has 38 deg of overlap . So it should not be a bad cam for 95ci and up . Intake noise increese is normal to a point cause we are advanceing the combustion event .that cam should start to pull hard at 2.400 prob.feel it hard at 2800 and up.
  16. dynasoar

dynasoar New Member

yes they work well in my 96 ci. pulls right up to the rev limit. Never heard that noise from the intake untill I installed them though. other than that noise the bike runs great and Im happy with the results. The noise is a bit annoying but of such a short duration I can live with it as long as its nothing serious mechanically.

Thanks