1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

PC 3 USB on 2006 dyna???

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by yankeerl, Jul 13, 2006.

1. yankeerl

yankeerl New Member

Has anyone installed a PC3 on a 2006 Dyna? I am still having issues with popping on decel, and coughing when starting off. I have been to 2 HD dealers and both are refusing to do the Injector bulletin. I have been told everything from we don't know about a bulletin to we can't replace these unless the problem is found on a "completely stock" bike.

I am going to try and fix the problem with a Dynojet PC3 but like everything else new for this bike, there is limited information. I am looking for information that you can provide to me regarding the results and any issues you have had since installation. Also I would like to know what setup you have on the bike (Pipes, ECM stage, Filter, etc.)

If this does not take care of the problem, I will probably go see about trading it for a new Yamaha Warrior.
  2. Nightrian

Nightrian New Member

Dyna Pc3....

A power commander for the DYNA, if mapped by a COMPETENT dyno operator, should fix your decell popping. The PC3 uses adapters to override the O2 sensors on the '06 DYNA. Check the Dyno-Jet web site for an installation center near you.

Best of luck!

John
  3. CD

CD Guest

Document your problems, print this:
    http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/hhlair1/M1185.pdf

Wave it in his face and ask for an area representative to look at your bike and documentation. If you read, study and are able to recite the symptoms and required fix including the re-flash, their legs should get a little wobbly. A smiling face, persistent and at the counter just loud enough for all to hear and do not be tricked into going into the "office" he only wants to B.S. you in private. If you get nowhere, ask to see the G.M. / owner etc. Persistence is very important now. No G.M. or owner here? Next in line? All while standing pleasantly at the counter openly discussing the bulletin and your issues. Take copies to hand out for the curious.

Do not put the PC on yet. Make them fix the squirters (injectors) first. That way, they cannot point to the PC and blame it.
  4. yankeerl

yankeerl New Member

Great advice, thanks. I am planning to discuss this with the service manager today. I will let ya know what happens.
  5. Boomshaw

Boomshaw New Member

Persistence @ the counter

Yes Yankeerl, CD is right on with his advice. I just had my injectors on my 2006 Fat Boy changed last week. The stealer tried to say that they had only changed them on the big dressers so far, so my symptoms were "suspect". I reminded them that not only a dresser can pack out with two-up and full saddlebags and a T-Bag and that I have the same 88cu engine. I also reminded them that maybe it was a "demand on the engine thing" rather than how much my bike weighs in stock configuration.

It is very important as CD said to read, memorize and be able to recite the problem...and the recommended solution from the MoCo. I know every word on that TSB and I still had to convince my stealer that I knew as much or more than they did about it and that they COULDN'T turn me away if I recited the correct symptoms. Just start talking to those around you at the counter while the service guy goes in back to get "his superior". It doesn't do much for the sales staff for possible buyers to hear that the service department doesn't want to fix a warranty (safety) issue after the sale. Especially at these prices!

As the MoCo says in the bulletin..."in the interest of customer satisfaction..." Remind them that ALL 2006's built from February on had these injectors installed on the production line.

Be observant though that the TSB does state that the bike has to be "in the proper configuration" which can be sticky. I installed my own pipe and air cleaner and the dealer was very reluctant about doing the work due to the pipe. ANY aftermarket pipe can now cause you grief at the dealer if you are looking for warranty work. Keep your old parts for just such occasions!
  6. yankeerl

yankeerl New Member

boomshaw,

what were the symptoms you were experiencing? My bike is surging at lower RPMs and has an intermittent stall out when taking off from a dead stop.

Thanks,

RL
  7. Boomshaw

Boomshaw New Member

Exactly!

Thats it Yankeerl! Exactly. Especially when engine cold and not yet warmed up and while using "appropriate" throttle control. That is, you are not full twistin' the throttle while riding and the bike is warming up. Go back and reread our posts (and the TSB I posted which is the same that CD posted here) at http://biketalk.directparts.com/showthread.php?t=2217 and you will see. It really isn't anymore complicated than that. You don't have to know all the ins and outs as to why it is happening. Only that you are experiencing the symptoms.

If they give you a real hassle...do as CD suggests and talk to an area rep for Harley.

You will be able to see the front cylinder injector reads (25 degrees) if the work is actually done by looking at the back of the throttle body from the left side of your bike with a flashlight. I checked mine just to make sure they really did it! You should check your injector number first (as per TSB) to see if you even need to do this.

There is also a "stock 88" flash that they can use that tells the ECU that you are now using 25 degree injectors or there is a stage 1 flash that does the same. If you haven't changed air cleaner and pipes yet...ask them about putting them on when they do the injectors. You will save the $150 stage 1 flash fee since they have to re-flash it anyway for the new injectors. Any service manager telling you otherwise and/or charging for the download is feeding you BS.