1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Peg and shifter distance adjustment

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by ladyharley, May 19, 2007.

1. ladyharley

ladyharley New Member

Hey, does anyone know if I can adjust the distance between my shift and foot peg on my '05 sportster? I bought new boots, and I need the distance since it's so tight I can barely get my toe between to shift?

Thanks..
  2. Texas Road Glide

Texas Road Glide New Member

ladyharley,
    i just went down and took a look at my sporty, i have the 1200 with forward controls.and they are not ajustable, but if you have mid controls, you might be able to pull the shifter lever off ,and rotate it clockwise till your boot fits underneath.slide it back on,tighten her up, and your outta there.
    snug as bug in a rug!!

TRG
  3. ladyharley

ladyharley New Member

Thanks....I have forward controls :-( I guess I'm having problems, don't know why all of a sudden, with pain in my left toe area, which I'm attributing to compensating shifting.
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the shift lever should slip off the shaft. you should be able to rotate it either direction to increase or decrease distance....i dont belileve it is a preset distance.....pull your shift lever and have a look.....you may have to remove the bolt completley because it may have a notch in the shaft.....not a big deal to do. let us know how it works out.
    chuck
  5. ladyharley

ladyharley New Member

That's reassuring. I will look at it and see...thanks!
  6. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

I've adjusted them on a few Sportsters just as already mentioned. Not a big deal at all. Although they were 80's and 90's Sportsters. I haven't had to do a new generation one yet. I can't imagine it's any different.
  7. Texas Road Glide

you knowwwwwwwwwwwwww,
    you could cut the boot to fit, or wear one new boot,and what ever you were wearing on the other foot........smirkin
    wondering if lady has a tool set????
  8. Texas Road Glide

ladyharley,

i just got through ajusting my gearshifter,it was not anything like what was desribed.
    there is a shift rod that is between the shifter peg and case its about 8 inchs long,you must disconnect it at the shifter peg,you will notice that the rod has nuts on both ends, the end that you disconnected,srews in and out for ajustment, and in your case you would want to extend the lenth of the rod , by turning the nut outward,this will move your shifter peg foward, to get the clearance you need. took me all of 5 minutes,this is somthing you can do with ease!!!!
    let me how it goes.........

TRG
  9. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Ladt harley , TGR is right , I had to adjust the forword control's on my Daughters 04 Sporty for her new fatbaby's , just adjust the rod for you boot , or Like TGR said you can just cut the toe open :D
    :cool:
  10. ladyharley

ladyharley New Member

:-( nope on the '05 1200 XL C it goes one way...can't be adjusted. On the older sporties, yes, the newer ones, no. Perhaps a change of foot peg to a flat one would work.
  11. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Ladyharley, I just got out my 05 part's book from HD & on page 117 sporty section it show's a adjustment on the lower side of the shifter/ foot peg for the forward control set up factory & if you have to center control there's a bolt that hold's it on , you have to pull the bolt all the way out & lift the shifter to you fit , then reinstall the bolt & tighten it up , hope this helps'
    :cool:
  12. ladyharley

ladyharley New Member

cowboy --- have forward controls.
  13. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

could ya take a couple of pics??? i am finding it hard to believe that there is no adjustment on the shift lever.....there are too many different sized feet out there....thanks
    chuck
  14. ladyharley

ladyharley New Member

Yeah Chuck I can take a pic....it's the stock forward controls on the 2005 XL Customer 1200 sportster..