1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

performance

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by tinsin, Dec 22, 2004.

1. tinsin

tinsin New Member

I need to build my 93 electra glide with some power. What can I do thats not tooo expensive to increase my torque and hp. I would like to see about 80-90 hp. ??
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Well it all depends on what "not too expensive" means. I say that because having a budget to get power is a good thing and it will help direct you to the proper parts.

I'll give you a few steps to get more power, getting 1 hp per cubic inch out of a 80 inch motor or more as you'd indicated isn't going to be cheap.

The "cheapest" way to get the HP numbers you want will be to sell off the stock 93 evo motor to someone that wants to build a evo chopper on a budget, get $1000 to $1500 and buy a 100 inch revtech or Midwest Elbruto for around $3500 and bolt it straight into the frame, net cost in the $2000 range, down time isn't much and you have a warrantied motor out of the box and ready to rock. (You could get a 88 Inch motor and save a few bucks too)

Ok for building a 1 to 1 hp to cui motor you'll need

Heads Find someone to work over the stock heads, larger valves, etc
    Pistons- 10 to 10.5 to 1 compression
    Cams- Been a while but you'll need a higher lift higher duration cam
    Carb and intake - Super E
    Ignition - Crane
    Pipes - 2:1 is the best for street power -Pro Pipe, Thunderheader, supertrapp

You should consult with the shop doing the head work on the cam and piston combination. By the time you are done with the work, you'll probably be in the $2K range on parts, labor, materials, if you can wrench you'll save some $$ and if you shop wisely on ebay you can buy cams, pushrods, carb etc for under market prices, or check here with cd to see if DP can put together the parts that fit your budget.

The otherway is to do it in steps.

1) Stage 1 Better flowing mufflers, SE Air filter Kit and tune the carb I can't recal if you have the CV Khein or butterfly, but get a cv 40 off ebay for $25 and mount to the bike, much better carb if you don't already have one.

2) Buy the cam , pushrods, gaskets, ignition, carb and intake
    exhaust, valves, valve springs etc over the year, then when winter hits, pull the motor down, have the machine work done and build it back up.

You can see why I said, sell the old evo and buy a new crate motor can sometimes be better $ for HP.

I think S&S has a larger displacement setup for evos using sporty pistons etc that makes it an 88 inch motor, again you're into some $$$.

Stage 1 will bump you up pretty good, do the heads, andrews cam and exhaust with a better carb and you'll be in the mid 70 to 80's I used a ev 27 with my efi RK and it would outrun a stock tc 88 when they came out.
  3. BobcatHD

BobcatHD New Member

HotRoadKing made some great suggestions. If you want to get some HP's into the 93' FLH, you will need to spend some money. The cost of a big bore kit is too expensive for what it will put out. Save up for a 96" S&S motor and talk to Performance HD for install.

If you just want to do the internals and get head work, I would recommend Branch Heads out of California. The heads will be ported and polished with heavier valve springs and internals. Your cam will make a big difference, and you should buy based on your type of riding. If you like some power and go on longer rides, the Andrews EV3 or 30 series cam will work great. You will need adjustable push rods, ignition. etc. The exhaust makes a big difference. If you have all that great power going through the pipes with no back pressure, all will be lost.
  4. CD

CD Guest

Torque and more torque please

HRK and Bobcat make great suggestions.
    Since we are dealing with a bagger and they are heavy and hard to accelerate to begin with and worse trying accelerate at speed with all that drag from the fairing etc, we need to think torque and more torque here. While digesting all the input, keep in mind that torque, not horse power does the work.

We have built combinations that produced torque well into the 70's with an EV27 some port clean up and a Thunderheader. Getting closer to that magical 1:1 number gets progressively harder and in smaller increments unless you up the displacement. Sure, a big cam, high flow heads will get you there or really close but, engine life is compromised.

There are a lot of EVO's running around with mild to moderate torque cams, 9.5:1, 10:1 up to 10.5:1 compression ratios, Branch heads, Edelbrock heads, S&S heads and others that produce reliable power that is easy on the valve train.

The exhaust is a huge part of the equation here. Sticking to dual headers or even true duals will not help get you where you want. 2-1, V&H Pro pipe, Thunder Header (older short version RP1021) is the way to go. Mikuni HSR 42 will work well, have good velocity for response and still get some good mileage. That CV will have to go unless you want to have it modified by someone like Dakota Kid. Free flow aircleaner, Ness Stage II or something like the Force Winder to minimize intake loss.

You will need a good ignition. Crane HI4E, Daytona Twintec and good coils and wires.
  5. tinsin

tinsin New Member

Thanks for all the input guys ! That thread was actually for my boss, who rides the '93 .... he also says 'thanks'. I'm forwarding all info I can to him so he'll be set to ride when riding weather comes back here in Michigan. It would be better yet for him to just create a name so he can log in himself. Anyone ever try talking to their 'boss' about what should be done ?? Like talking to a wall .... :confused: thanks again and hope all have a happy and safe New Year !!
  6. FoShoRacing978

FoShoRacing978 New Member

head work is pretty much everything duckworth racing out of maryville, Il does a hell of a job
  7. Seahag

Seahag New Member

Funny this old thread should be dug up...cuz unfortunately none of us are able to get parts through CD anymore, as HRK had mentioned.:(
  8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

true hag, but cd is enjoying the good life now, and having fun!!:D
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Dang did I write that much LOL

I gotta cut my words down in posts !

Wonder what ever happened from 04 to now LOL

Best thing I should have said was sell the 93 and buy a new 04, LOL