1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Pics of my bikes and another 'new' bike.

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Kbar, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Kbar

Kbar New Member

So here's the pictures of my bikes as promised!

Here's some before pics of the '03 Honda Shadow;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's what it looks like now;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not done with it yet, but she's road worthy! Thinking about adding a sidecar for the canine!

Here's the '06 HD Heritage Softail;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then I went and purchased a '77 Yamaha XS750 for $200. It don't run and has a few things that need to be worked out, but I'm looking forward to turning it into a chopper! Here's pics;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's missing the battery, seat, carburetors, one of the mirrors, the keys, and the electric start button. The kickstart is broken, bubba painted the tank in the worst way possible, its got old gas in the tank, no title, and the electronics are an absolute mess. But I got a plan, now I just have to figure out just how to get it done! Hardest thing to find so far is the carbs...So if anyone has any laying around for this guy, let me know.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  2. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Nice collection...partial the heritage,lol.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice, I prefer the look of the previous generation Heritage Softail, the new one, while light years ahead on tech and power just doesn't look right for a Heritage

Had a 78 Suzuki GS400, sold it, should have kept it.
  4. Kbar

Kbar New Member

No doubt the Heritage is the better made bike. Its smoother riding, tons of power, and its comfortable to boot. But the Honda is so much more fun, mostly cause I can rag on it and not feel like I'm ruining a better bike, its nimble as hell, I have a lot of heart and soul poured into it because of how much work I've done to it and because of what it has taught me, and the sentimentality of it being my first bike. I really do not have a favorite between the two. And once I am done with the Yamaha, It will be held in the same regard.
  5. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

'79 XS750 was my first new-from-dealer bike. Seeing yours, the memories it brings back aren't good ones. Looks like you got the more stylish, tear -drop tank version. Just be prepared for excitement when that shaft drive fights you in a corner.

A couple things:
    - if you fix the kickstarter, don't use it unless absolutely necessary - it loves to fail
    - Get used to not using second gear, cuz' even if it works now it likely won't soon
    - Seriously, be careful in corners. The centrifugal force of the shaft will fight you or "aid" you significantly in corners, and it takes some getting used to.

Good luck with it.
  6. Kbar

Kbar New Member

I've been tinkering with the idea of converting it to chain drive...I'm not sure how difficult that would be.
  7. Kbar

Kbar New Member

Got a great deal on some original carb bodies and a mounting bracket! Just under $60 shipped!
  8. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Anything is do-able with lots of time and money, but it would likely be a lot of both. You'd really have to want it, bad, and it might it up that way - bad, and not in a good way. Just remember, the more time ya spend wrenching on a project is less time you have for actual riding.
    Congrats on the carb buy, sounds like a good deal. There's at least one website devoted to old Yamaha triples, I'd look that up in your shoes.
  9. Kbar

Kbar New Member

I've pretty much found them all, I think, as well as identified several aftermarket companies that make parts for the doubles, triples, and quads. I also jumped on a Yamaha owners forum that has a few classic Yamaha enthusiasts and I enlisted the help of a YouTube personality that lives relatively nearby who is working on a similar project. Hopefully today I will have the time to strip the bike down to the frame and get the aircraft remover on it and the tank. My friend and I got the tank off, drilled out the rivet for the ruined gas cap, got all of the old gas out and we took off the kickstand and pipes.
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice. Keep us updated with pictures as you work