1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Pilot Jet and Idle Mixture

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jul 2, 2010.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Well, I got the bike into the shop today to see what is going with the carb, if it was dirty or whatever, or if needed anything else. to my surprise, the carb was really clean. That is a good thing though. As we proceeded to take the jets out, and other things, we discovered that the pilot jet was a 44, which 42 is stock. Now what was really weird is that the idle mixture screw was 81/2 TURNS OUT! I could not believe that. Now wonder why it would not idle very well, very low and lumpy like it had a cam in it. I told my guy that after I got the exhaust fixed, I was getting a pop when I would fire the bike up when it was cold, and sometimes when it was warm and that it would only do this when right when I would fire it up. So, we ended up putting a 46 pilot in, and readjusted the idle mixture screw down to about 2 1/2 turns out.

Result: MY bike idles like a top. Very smooth. Sounds really nice. As far as thge popping goes, it does that just once, then it is over. I think that from now on I am going to give one twist of gas for start up rather than two.
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

A 46 pilot jet is quite large for a 883. Keep an eye on your plugs that they don't become fouled by an overly rich idle or that the mileage doesn't decline. Sometimes a vacuum leak or poorly sealed manifold gasket will require larger jetting to overcome.
  3. JohnnyBiker

I would agree that the would be large for the , but it is now a 1200. Ihad him check my exhaust flanges and those are tight, he checked everything around the carb so we are good there.
  4. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Ah, that makes a little more sense. I looked at your profile and thought you were still running an 883.
  5. JohnnyBiker

No, but now something else is a little weird. It seems that once I hit 60mph my tanks starts to vibrate really bad. it never did this before, I checked plugs to see if one was fouled, and wires to see if the were arching, that is not the problem. Is there something else I should be looking at?
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

check the mounts on the tank..........wasnt the tank just removed or lifted for some reason???
  7. JohnnyBiker

I did check them also, they are tight. Would you think that the motor mounts are getting loose?
  8. chucktx

9. JohnnyBiker

There are just over 11k, but I got a fresh top end put on 700 hundred ago.
  10. chucktx

make sure all the mounts are tight.....torqued tight.
  11. JohnnyBiker

That is the only thing that I can think of that would cause that. Does this issue sound strange?