1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Pipes blueing

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cowboy, Oct 2, 2012.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I put baffles in my stock pipes , & now there turing blue , I first tried leaving them full 10inches ,not good on the pipes I then cut then in half , pipes still getting bluer , The guy I bought the bike from last years said he lost the baffles on a road trip , & was running them stright , to loud for me , so I bought some baffles to help with the noise & now she seems the run a bit warmer & pipes blueing
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Might have to rejet the carb,
  3. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

Carb adjustment???
  4. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

I ran 10 1/2" baffles in my drag pipes and they only turned a light golden color about 8" or so down from the top of the header, which is "normal" I'm told. Bluing is caused by excessive heat.

Excessive heat can be caused by several things: air/fuel mix is off and causing unburned gases to ignite in the pipe; timing is off; exhaust valve not sealing; or an exhaust leak at the gasket. Might be more things I'm not aware of or a combination of any of the above.

I've not been able to get all the golden color to stop reappearing in my pipes, but Blue Job powder does a good job of getting rid of nearly all of it. My pipes have never turned blue.
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  5. cowboy

well I'am guessing the carb will need some fine tuning , as nothing else was done just the baffles install (for now) i'am making a parts pile for now & saving my pennies for more parts :cool: I was running my bro-in-laws spare supertrapp 2-1 & no blueing on them , guess there as free flowing as my stock pipes without the baffles
  6. cowboy

So last evening I cut down my baffles again (3.3/4 in) & took the air cleaner off & backing plate , some one had adjusted the idel mix screw out to about 4.5 turns so I set it all the way in & came out 2.25 turns , then went for a 20 mile ride all looks good , so today just put about 10-15 miles runs much better & no more hot as all hello pipes :D I'am guess the guy I got the bike from last year had a shop adjust it when he lost the baffles on a road trip he took right before I bought the bike oh ya the shorter baffles sound good to me :cool:
  7. joshbob

Not sure what carb you're running, Cowboy, but 4 1/2 turns out sounded like too rich. My CV hasn't been turned out more than 1 3/4 turns, where it is now. Front plug has always looked okay, but can't get an accurate reading on the back one because of a leaking valve seal, which I hope to repair soon.

Sounds like you got it going better now. :cool:
  8. cowboy

Josh i'am running the stock cv from 1994 , I turned it out about 2, 15 turns
  9. joshbob

Not that 'm expert about CV carbs (I'm not!), but I know some shovel owners turn theirs out even more. And some less, like mine. I guess it depends on the air cleaner, pipes, mods to the carb, etc.

A general rule of thumb I've heard about but never tried is to turn the screw in until the motor starts to stumble and then turn it out til it does the same thing, and then find and leave it at the half way point between the extremes.
  10. cowboy

Guess ill try that thanks
  11. joshbob

So how did that work for you? Since installing the larger pilot jet (48) in my carb I've experienced no more coughing. Mix screw is turned out 1 3/4 turns. One thing I had to do after putting in the bigger jet was to turn the idle speed screw up about a 1/2 turn or so.

Hope you got yours dialed in so your pipes aren't bluing anymore and plugs are staying clean.:D
  12. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Just a side note about the Supertrapps: Years ago I ran them on a Japanese performance bike. I chose them 'cause they were chrome and double walled pipes (pipe within a pipe). They wouldn't turn blue despite too rich or too lean carbs. Other brands were single wall and could blue easily. I don't know if the newer ones are double walled but it's just a thought from me.
  13. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

YOU know its from the tune.
    Could be from a Exhaust leak
  14. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Humm us a few bars, maybe we know it. :roflmao:
  15. cowboy

Did about 100 miles last Sunday , FTP the blue Santa run pipes stayed the same so no more blueing :) think I have the card dialed in
  16. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

The screw setting basically tells you how rich or lean
    the pilot jet is at idle

If you put in a whopper way to big you can turn it all the way in and it won't
    change a thing.

If it's too lean you have to go out more turns
    If it's too rich you go out less

2 to 2.5 turns means the pilot is right
  17. Ted

Ted New Member

MO gas less blue. suty pipes don't blue. LOL.