1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Pipes for an 06 Ultra

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by FLHTbiker, Sep 19, 2005.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

CD, tell me what would be the best set of pipes for an 06 Ultra.

Marc
  2. Johnny O.

Johnny O. New Member

I like my Wide Pig Pipes but I don’t know how that will affect things on your 06. do all 06s have cat. converters?
  3. navyman

navyman New Member

I just installed V&H Oval slip ons on my '04 Road King along with a Power Commander. I like the sound and the look. Great price at Direct Parts. I am not sure about the 06 bikes. Call the tech number here for info. They are great.
  4. CD

CD Guest

Marc,

The '06 will take any 95 and later exhaust system. So. you can use thje ovals like you had or a true dual Rinehart or 2-1 etc.

Tuning is still the same, PCIII USB or SERT to give full tuning.

This is the big HOWEVER comma. Arlen Ness has determined that the Big Sucker backing plate will not fit the '06 EFI throttle bodies. The throttle body has changes that do not allow the backing plate to sit flush. So, you will need the SE a/c or wait until the Ness foks get a new casting.

Congrats on the new Ultra!
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

question cd,,,,, the sucker wont fit the carb models??? my 06 electra has the cv carb.......thanks
    chuck
  6. FLHTbiker

Hmmm, true dual Rinehart's would look nice. Everyone says the true dual Rineharts give the best performance, except for the two into one pipes. I also hear that the Rinehart welds break? I liked my Ovals but the wife thinks they were to loud, :rolleyes: bet the Rinehearts have a real good sound to them also. :D
  7. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Eh? wazzat? :D The ovals are alright got a bit of a bark to 'em, The Rineharts on CD's bike sounded quite good. What pushed you to get the new Ultra Marc?..there some neat stuff on the new ones though anyway, congrats :cool:
  8. CD

CD Guest

No, CV is fine just the EFI models have something different about the throttle body.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2005
  9. dinosdeuce

dinosdeuce New Member

Very timely post. just put a deposit on an 06 ultra myself (don't really want to part with the deuce, but need something I can ride in the colder months). Leaning towards the Rineharts, haven't heard anything to suggest otherwise. American Iron has a series upgrading an 02 Ultra and they used Rineharts/ pc and a big sucker (not going to work in this case). Went from 58 to 75 HP, properly setup on a dyno.

Gary
  10. FLHTbiker

did he do anything to the engine other than that like maybe a 95 inch kit. I rode my springer to Street vibrations in Reno from Portland this past weekend and gee wilikers I sure wished I was riding the Ultra. It was 30 degrees at 6 AM when we left for home. I like to near froze and had no feeling in my fingers by the time we got to susanville and stopped at the Black Bear diner for breakfast. Thank god for a full face helmit though. Wrapping the hands around a warm cup of coffee sure did help.
    didn't ride the 06 ultra as I did not want to do the break in miles going 70-80 down I-5 at a steady speed.

Marc
  11. SK

SK New Member

Sure was a colder St. Vibes..eh Marc? Woke Saturday morning to what seemed like a fogged in coastline (up in Virginia City anyway). I rather enjoyed the cooler weather as it's a break from Las Vegas (still about 90º ave here). Though..Sunday morning I had ice on the seat of my FJR. Thank God I brought my First Gear overpants and put my liner in my touring jacket. With the heated grips on the FJR..I was quite comfy pulling out at 6:45am to arrive in Las Vegas by 2pm. I only pulled off the liner and fleece shirt I was wearing during the last leg into LV near Beatty.

St. Vibes seemed to have less motorcyclists this year than past..yet I heard it was going to be bigger. I know the number of vendors were down as last year they went all the way down S.Virginia St south of the Truckee River. Gets to the point that the 3 hours I spent in Reno was enough. I'll take the atmosphere in Virginia City the rest of the weekend. DaleRK and his wife Nikki made it up for Friday and Saturday nights. He said he'd try again to make the Bike Talk Ride next year.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2005
  12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Look at Bassani true duals and Vance and Hines has true duals, I think CD did some testing on these, you may have a power dip on the duals over a good slip on set of pipes.

Khrome Werks, Vance and Hines, Wild Pigs etc are good pipes for slip ons.

The advantage of the Vance and Hines or bassani headers are you can put on any muffler you like, with Rienhardts you have to do the whole system thier way
  13. CD

CD Guest

Were I to chose a true dual look with performance in mind I would go with the Thunderheader falsee or the D&D with Ghost Pipe. Either are great performing 2-1 systems.

If I wanted true duals with the ability to change mufflers go with the V&H.
    If you want good, solid performance go with the Rineharts or the Hooker true dual system.
    JMHO, YMMV
  14. FLHTbiker

SK, I sure could have used those heated grips Sunday morning. We had ice on our seats as well. I had the bib overalls for cold weather riding but my finger tips were frozen.
    I had a near collision with this gang called the Vagos or something like that. There the guys that wear the green on their leathers. Strictly just a bunch of creeps with an attitude. Problem was they out numbered me about 100 to 1. They came down the street entering town on Saturday afternoon in all one big group. Walked down I saw them coming and quickly just maneuvered out of their way. They had the tough guys out in front and they were walking with their hands forward flipping everyone off in there path and if you didn't move they moved you. Totally As&h)*les in my opinion. Probably all packing to. They went into the middle of the square by the Silver Legacy and formed a circle. Cops came in and pretty soon they all left the same way they came in.
    Personally people like that shouldn't be breathing, worthless bunch if you ask me. Sure takes away from the reasons for going to a rally like this. The Hells Angels behaved better than these guys do.

We saw lots of vendors. There were two large buildings full of vendors. Lot of people didn't even know about the second building that was behind the first one.
    Witnessed a Electraglide that was just put on a lift to add lights to it. They raised the bike up on the lift but forgot to tighten the front wheel choke down and did not even strap the bike down. The bike came off the lift and took a guy down with it that was just passing buy. Bike landed on top of him and knocked him out We got the bike off of him but he was not moving. They took him away in an ambulance. Gave my number to his wife as I saw the whole thing unfold. Just wished I would have been closer to the guy to grab him in time to pull him away.
    Friday was really crowded on the strip and the buildings.
    We rode up to Virginia City on Friday morning but you didn't answer the phone or I dialed the wrong number. Wind was really blowing hard coming back down. We were going to go up to Lake Tahoe but just to much wind.

CD thanks for the advice, I think I'm going to go with either the Bassani pipes or the Rinehearts. I'll be calling you soon to order them.
  15. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

If Pat is going to be spending time on the back of the bike I think the Rineharts that Dave had on the RK were pleasant sounding and she probably wouldn't mind them. I don't know if you're going to be pulling a trailer with the Ultra or whether you are going to 95 the bike or not. I'd like to see a Dyno shootout with pipes with a basically stock low compression 88 and 95 inch motor. I'd be looking at 2500-4000 as the engine speed that is important to me and which pipe performs best there. My bike doesn't have much on the top end but it rides pretty good in the day to day stuff..especially two up pulling the trailer. I'd like to look at a different pipe but it has to be very quiet. Too bad about the clubbers at SV. The HA seem to be more relaxed in public..they've got nothing to prove..some of the others lack the PR awareness that the big players have. I hope the guy that got caught under the E-G is ok..that's a lot of bike to fall on you. It's cooling off here in a hurry so it's just about time to park the bikes. I wouldn't mind heading out in the spring for a ride to Spokane or Sandpoint to meet up with you and Pat..anyway, enjoy that new bike!!
  16. FLHTbiker

Bob, I've been leaning more and more towards the Rineharts as everyone I have talked to including the guys that test the bikes on the dyno at the HD shop tell me that the Rineharts for a true dual give the best overall performance. For slip-on's the V&H I think are still the best. For you take your stock pipes and drill out the baffles in them (two at the end and one at the far end where it connects to the header pipe). Sounds pleasant, not loud but gets rid of those little tiny holes in them for EPA requirements. I think that would help ease the sound in for June.
    Think about the National Hog rally in Billings this June 30th to I think July 2. We have a room booked already. Or maybe we can hook up some weekend someplace, would like to meet June.

Marc
  17. SK

SK New Member

Wow..didn't see any gang activity in Virginia City Marc. Though the cop presence was at least double or more from past years. Never saw so many motorycycle cops up there in my life. The Story County Sheriff retired this past year, so he wasn't trotting around on his horse like he's done the past several years.

My cell phone wasn't ringing in VC for some reason..weak analog signal I guess. Too bad I couldn't ride back down to Reno with you Friday as I didn't go down until about 1pm. It was definitely a little windy out. We filled up coming back up Friday near the base to the Mt. Rose Hwy into N.Shore Tahoe and I nixed going up to look at the lake because of the heavy clouds at the top and the wind. As it was..I caught a gap in the road back up to VC and had a nicely paced twisty ride up the mountain to VC. Most bikes are coming down at that point and you have to watch for them crossing into your path.
  18. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Bassini two into one

I had a look at this pipe in the store..pictures anyway. It's a nice looking pipe from what I can tell..how does it work compared to the Pro Pipe/ T-Header and how loud is it..gotta hear the tunes you know. :)
  19. FLHTbiker

That new sterio on the 06 is loud enough for any pipe. I pup the old Screaming Eagles from my old bike before the V&H on the 06. Made a big difference in power. Not no super torque motor but sure the heck better than the stock ones and it sounds better. Not loud but just a good sound. :eek:

Marc