1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Pipes Turning Blue

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by deweylsmith, Mar 20, 2009.

1. deweylsmith

deweylsmith Active Member

I have a 2008 ElectraGlide Ultra Classic. It has about 2100 miles on it. Took it out for a ride last week, when the weather broke. No problems. When I put it away I noticed that my front pipe was turning blue. There is an area by the timing cover that does not have a chrome cover over it. The bike is all stock. A blue pipe means that the mixture is lean, and/or running hot. I run premium fuel. Do I take it back to the HD stealership?
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

if you do, they will tell you that your problem is normal, and it is. the bikes are set to the leanside from the factory. the epa and nader demand it. you can help prevent this from happening by spending money on a fuel managment system which will consist of new pipes, breather, and puter. once all this is purchased and installed a dyno run will need to be purchased to get it all in sync. or, ride it as is and dont worry about the blueing, altho you will be riding an engine that is starved for fuel. it will last a long time the way the factory has it set, but the engine will not preform at its peak. have fun and stay safe!!
  3. deweylsmith

Thanks for the reply chucktx. With it still under warrentee, I am just going to ride and enjoy it. Going to take it on a ride to the mid west this summer. (Kankeekee, Il).
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

sounds like a great ride.....post up some pics and give us a rundown of the trip!!
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

You get into some hot weather this summer and she's gonna be even hotter. My consider a fuel management system pipes and air cleaner. I did it to my 09 Ultra and it really made a big difference.
  6. deweylsmith

I will look into that. Does that void any warrentees? I know it was hot last summer a few times when we were riding. I thought my left leg was going to start cooking! Thanks for the reply FLHTbiker.
  7. TM103

TM103 Active Member

Dewey, after you get the fuel management taken care of, there is an after market heat shield made to cover that transition on the front pipe.:)
  8. deweylsmith

I have purchased one of those already. Thanks