1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Pipes

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by hunter2050, May 29, 2008.

1. hunter2050

hunter2050 New Member

is there anybody that has a 08 fatboy,that change the exhaust,not slip-ons
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Just trying to help here - why do ya want to know? Need installation advice, pipe choice advice, or just want to chat? Reason I ask is most folks here can help with tech questions, even if they don't have '08 FLSTFs. If they know what is being asked, that is.
  3. hunter2050

hunter2050 New Member

:banghead: :gah: well I get so many different answers about pipes,I know what kind want,I call them drag pipes but having 02 senser in them,some say I need a fuel command,speed tuner,bigger air filter,some people say just put the pipes on,I'm start to believe no one knows anything about EFI close Lupe fuel ejection.of pipe I
  4. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Drag pipes are for Drag racing.They work great for WOT but not very good in the real world,low end performance will suffer. But if thats your choice I would consider putting in torque valves and baffles to help with reversion. You will most likely have to have your EFI remapped, start with that, if you can't get it dialed in then go to the next step. Start with what you got before throwin cash around. But a good exhaust system would be better for street use than Drag pipes.
  5. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

You do not want drag pipes unless you just want loud, don't care about street performance & have a real fat wallet to pay for getting the EFI "re-mapped". I'm certainly no expert on EFI & the H-D system I don't know, but from what I've seen, dealer downloads aren't enough & you have to buy an additional unit to get the system to work right, even with a good street exhaust. There are several here with newer EFI bikes & they can tell you which tuning devices work the best, but none of 'em will get you as much useable street/road power as a quality exhaust with mufflers built in or with quality slip-ons - lots of choices. Oh - yes, you will need a better air-cleaner setup so the engine can breathe - makes no difference how much air you can get out if you can't get any more in.
  6. hunter2050

hunter2050 New Member

:D the pipes that I'm talking about is called 2.2 big Radius from big dog motorcycle in little Rock Arkansas
  7. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Since you know exactly what make pipe you want, I recommend you call that company and ask them the tech questions. Its in their interest to answer them.
  8. DKIN21

DKIN21 New Member

I wonder if these pipes are the same as Vance & Hines Big Radius?
  9. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

well thats the first step. . . . you've picked a good set of pipes. you could stop at this point and go no further. or go to step two, that being a bigger more open air intake which combined with the more open exhaust will cause your engine to breath much better. this better air flow will cause your motor to lean out to a point where it could damage the engine. this situation can only be corrected by adding more fuel to the cumbustion process. with EFI this has to be done by re-programing the "ECM" (electronic control module), your bikes brain.
    there's a few differerent ways of doing this.

1. let the steeler do one of his downloads. once they do this only they can adjust anything you'll be completely at their mercy. they likely will rake you over the coals. maybe even try to talk you into a "race tuner" i don't recommend going this route. you don't need both! then they'll probley tell you need a dyno too

2. go with a aftermarket fuel management system. these you can install yourself and adjust yourself without the help of any experts, i'll name a few

a. thundermax, expensive but probley the best on the market $800-1000
    b. powercommander III, next best IMO around $400
    c. racetuner, steelers brand most people don't like em find them confusing

nice thing about the PCIII is that it doesn't alter the internernal workings of the ECM. it alters the signals before they enter the ECM. there's tons of talk on the forum concerning this. my best advice is to do your research before your purchace and not after. also hold off the dyno stuff. you don't have to have it dyno'd unless you want every fraction of performance. good luck, and hold on to that cash spend it wisely:devil:
  10. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

probley about same. probley be the same when it comes to mapping
  11. hunter2050

hunter2050 New Member

they are just like Vance&Hines,just a neither name,thank you for your info,I like to ask different people,because pig trail in rogers,Arkansas would like to load me down with about 2000 dollars that I don't have,by asking around I get a true answer:confused: :D
  12. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

best way to save money at this point is

1. plenty of research

2. Stay way from the steeler:brick:
  13. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Excellent advice skull, The stealer got his money for the bike,thats all you need to spend there,If you do your own work save the receipts for warantee same if you find a good indy,either way won't void it. I would still suggest you get a set of torque valves and baffles for the pipes..:devil:
  14. DKIN21

DKIN21 New Member

Hunter, What skull told u about the after market tuners is right on, The thunder max i think is the best thing out there u install it and it does the rest it tunes the bike every time u ride it, only thing wrong with the thunder max with vance & hines is that the 02 sensors that area a long longer than stock 02 sensors, they almost touch the top of the tranny cover, then with the wire coming out the end they rub the cover which could rub them into or at best rub the coating off and get false readings. i was about to buy the TM and there rep. is the one that warned me about this, so i went with PCIII. If anyone out there is running Thunder Max with V&H and has come up with a cure let me know, i would still like to go to this set up. I know the ones you are looking at are not V&H Big Radius but they could be making thenm for this company. Just something else to look at before spending that kind of money.

DKIN12

live easy, ride hard
  15. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

PC111,SENSORS,EFI, ISN'T TECHNOLOGY GREAT:roflmao: ONE DAY I'M SURE THEY'LL PACK UP THE HARDBAGS WITH BATTERIES:roflmao: THEN YOU'LL HAVE A HYBIRD HARLEY:roflmao: BUT ALL THAT COMPUTER MAPPING MUMBO JUMBO SURE SOUNDS PRETTY CONFUSING, WITH ALL THE TALK I'VE OBSERVED ON THE SUBJECT I'LL MAKE SURE I NEVER GET A EFI BIKE,JMO:roflmao:
  16. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

i don't miss carbs with their gas, screws, floats, dirt, and of course a crankcase full of gas. seems i hear more people having fun with their carbs than efi. problem with efi's is the need of a fuel manage system, this is where the steeler can really rape you. first they do a stage I download, then sell you a "race tuner", which will basically cancel much of what the download did, then to top it all off they duno it:rant: