1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

pipes

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by tkob51, Mar 31, 2004.

1. tkob51

tkob51 New Member

i have a new set of samson slashers, any good ideas how to keep them from blueing. thanks
  2. Seahag

Seahag New Member

blues prevention

I haven't had a chance to try this out just yet...but for sure with my next set of pipes. They make a variety of ceramic pipe coatings for the inside of your pipes. From what I read, you dissasemble the muffler (remove baffle) then pour this liquid ceramic coating inside and roll it around to coat all surfaces...throw them in the oven at like 250 degrees for an hour to harden and reassemble. The ceramic lining should insulate the chrome...and as long as your jetting isn't too far off, it seems to me like it should work.
  3. Big Ben

Big Ben New Member

4. dune

dune New Member

Shields

(It must be a 1450 fat head right ? ) This is a very common problem with the twin cams. They just run hot, I would say buy the sheilds to hide the blue. Oh and also if its a carb model dont leave the enrichner on for more the 30-60 seconds. I find that this could help. :p
  5. GOTAFATTY?

GOTAFATTY? New Member

I don't know if you are still having a problem, but I found some stuff at Flaming Gorge Harley in Rock Springs called White Diamond. It is gods gift to chrome blueing!! With minimal effort it takes out blueing. You might want to try your local HD shop to see if they carry it, or I found some on the internet. Good Luck!!
  6. Swatmizer

Swatmizer New Member

7. fatboyvtwin

fatboyvtwin New Member

Just a quick note, I heard about White Diamonds polish so I had the wife go to the Harley shop and pick some up,,, wellllll This stuff may work if you got arms like Arnold Swartziningerio...or Paul Sr. from Orang County Choppers. I elbow greased the hell out of a section of my blued pipes and I noticed a slight lightning of the blue. I know there must be some better stuff out there...I wouldn't recommend spending the $16.00 + Tax...Ride Safe David.
  8. Seahag

Seahag New Member

I had the same experience although I didn't put too much elbow grease into it I didn't see an improvement in my blued chrome mufflers...but on my alluminum and other metals I've tried this stuff on it works wonders! I'm very pleased with the product except for the pipe blueing claims...If there is a trick to getting it work on blued chrome speak up...I'm wondering if you gotta use power tools or something :confused:
  9. fatboyvtwin

fatboyvtwin New Member

I haven't had time to try it on the other chrome but i'm sure it will work great...thanks for the reply...Ride Safe David.
  10. goliath

goliath New Member

ya, get a set of full heat shields. I bought the V+H drags and they look great! bluing is like death and taxes!
  11. OBGarage

OBGarage New Member

i have a new set of samson slashers

A nice heavy coat of black heat/header paint works, on the inside of course. Make sure you don't run your choke too long and the carb is jetted correctly. Lean is mean.
    Paint it black and ride like you stole it.
  12. dwint

dwint New Member

bluing

i bought vh1 with ceramic sprayed the inside rolled them around for a few minutes let dry did again and again and they never blued and that was on a iron head
  13. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Make sure it's tuned properly
    Use Copper silicone on the mufflers to headers connection before you clamp them down, helps eliminate leaks