1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Pirelli Night Dragon Review

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jul 7, 2013.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Well, I think that anyone and I do mean anyone that wants a tire that performs as advertised, then look no further than the Pirelli Night Dragons. Over this 4th of July weekend, Hot Rider and I were able to clock 1200 miles of riding on these tires. The kind of riding consisted of interstate, regular town riding, however the best riding that these tires saw was just over 500 miles of twisties, rolling hills, and elevation climbs. They handled flawlessly in the tightest of turns. From previous experience with the Dunlop's, I never liked how they would accelerate while in the turn coming out of it. I think that the Night Dragons are far superior to the Dunlop's in that regard. The ND's tracked well and I think that the tip in is even better than when they were new, and I was impressed with them then. The gas mileage I am not so sure about as I think that the gas mileage that I was getting is due to something else so I reserve comment on that for now.

Now the biggest thing that I was impressed with is that these tires handle really really well in wet weather. The only rain that I ran into is when Hot Rider and I left Ultra200922's home this morning. Now I generally slow way down in rain just to be that much more safe, however in this cas I wanted to see what I was comfortable with with this tire. Well, I was holding steady at 55-60 in some pretty hard rain and then one I got to Hwy 29 west, I opened up to about 70-75. By then it wasn't raining really anymore but the roads were still wet. As far as I am concerned, these tires perform as advertised in the rain by Pirelli.

I am going to have to give this tire a rating on 8 star's out of 10. My reasons for an 8 is basically because I need to get fuel mileage figured out and also because nothing is perfect.:D
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

sounds like you made a good choise on tires:cool:
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

That's what I was really interested in....:D

Good review JB,Thanks:cheers: Now we just have to see what kind of mileage you get out of them.... We've just gone through 5 days in a row without rain!!:cool::D WooHooo:roflmao:
    Commanders do handle pretty good on dry warm pavement:rolleyes:
  4. JohnnyBiker

Another thing that I really like about these tires is this, you know those moments when your coming around a semi sharp sweeper, you know, the double solid lined ones, and you are in the sharpest part of the turn and you see a shiit load of rocks right in the middle of it, and then you have that "oh shiit" moment???? Well, that happened to me a few times on this trip. With the Dunlops the hair on my neck would stand straight up and down. Not sure if it was a tire performance mistrust or a riders inexperience thing. However, with these tires, I put my faith in them and felt really really comfortable with leaning harder and accelerating through it. Maybe both things have matured? :roflmao:

Now there always seems to be a mention of tar snakes in conversations about tires so I was hoping to run across a situation to at least mention it. Yes, there were occasions as to when I am in a fairly hard corner and I felt the front tire slip a little. It was enough for me to notice, but not really get nervous. I mentioned this to Ultra200922 and he made a very straight forward common sense statement. He said, "when it is this hot and the tar is this soft, I don't think that any tire likes tar snakes." Man, that was the most intelligent answer that I have ever heard when it pertains to tar snakes.:cheers: It was hot out, I think that we were in 90* plus temps, but I am not positive.
  5. JohnnyBiker

Today was a wet ride home and I had the bike with me. I now have 2k on the Night Dragons and I still really like how they are holding the road perfectly and I don't see any signs of wear yet. I do like these tires in the rain, I was holding steady at 60 the whole way home except in tight corners. :cool: Great Tire!!
  6. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Good to hear you're liking the Pirelli's JB.... I have a new found respect for the Commander II's ...Just finished a 6 day road trip and went through 8 rain storms in those 6 days:eek::roflmao:...3 on the 1st day, with the worst I've ever been caught in in 35yrs of riding about 600 miles into the day/evening, my horn is now shot or full of water and it killed my cell phone:banghead:Even the Moose wouldn't come out of the woods:roflmao:
    The Commanders held the road very well,so I'm back to thinking it was the road surface and my throttle that was the problem and not the tires...
  7. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

two good reports on two different brands tires , what a good tread LOL :cool:
    two happy campers together :eek: Lucifer that must have been some hard rain if the Moose wound;nt even come out in it :D
  8. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Good commentaries on the tires. I've always heard positive comments on Pirelli's, cage or bike. There is usually a trade off in milage with a high performance tire. You can't have it all. But it's like you said before, I'd prefer performance over milage.
  9. calif phil

calif phil Member

I have seen fairly short tread wear from the night dragons But they do stick great.
  10. JohnnyBiker

Ok, I am about to change both the front and the tires and I got 7444 miles out of my first set of Night Dragons. This is with a lot of hard throttle so yes, I am slightly under average. I am putting on another set and now that my riding style has returned back to normal I do think that I should get at least 8000 out of the next set.
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Dunlop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. JohnnyBiker

Nope. Different variety of Pirelli
  13. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Dunlop elite 2. Round profile. Proper weight
  14. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Yep, your right
  15. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Ditto!
  16. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Dunlop American Ellite
  17. calif phil

calif phil Member

I love the new Dunlop American Elite's. They are a home run for Dunlop.
    FLHTbiker likes this.
  18. JohnnyBiker

Who knows. I may end up trying them. It is a whole year away. Derek had some elites sitting there and they looked like the tread is aggressive.
  19. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

You'll get more than a years worth of riding with them to if you only put 7000 miles on a years. They are very good tires.
  20. JohnnyBiker

I have never been concerned really of how long the tire lasts me. I care first and foremost of how well the tire keeps me planted on the road. The Pirelli's feel like I am riding on rails. When I feel all warm and fuzzy inside, I happy! :)

I can't say that you are lying because I have no experience with your brand, but soon I will.