1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Planing my trip west

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by EPS, Apr 28, 2008.

1. EPS

EPS New Member

Hello All.

A group of us are in the early planning phase of a bike trip through Colorado, Wyoming, Utah , and Montana. To maximize our bike ridding time out west we will load our bikes on trucks and trailers and with multiple drivers run to Colorado, stopping only for fuel and driver changes. After a one day rest we plan to ride for 18 days camping most of the time and three or four motel sleep overs. NEED YOUR HELP with recommendations for:
    1) Must see places.
    2) Fishing and horseback riding.
    3) Other things to do
    4) Interesting roads to ride and places to eat.
    5) Things to avoid, i.e. places, roads, campgrounds, motels, restaurants.

I'll submit a trip report late August.

Thanks Ed

Thanks,
  2. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

Yellowstone National Park Great place to see

Glacier National Park, going to the sun highway...I would venture almost a MUST see....but depends on your route!
  3. EPS

EPS New Member

Thanks AFNurse, we have talked about that park and some others. After we get the suggestions form this forum we will try to design a trip for 18 days and get to as many places as we can, but at a pace that allows us to enjoy the places that we visit. I have been on some road trips that just turn into a memory of pounding the road.

Ed
  4. hdxlr8r

hdxlr8r New Member

The narrow gauge rail from Durango to Silverton is a great train ride, 2 hr there, 2 hr in Silverton, 2hr return.
    And of course.... Yellowstone
  5. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Sounds like fun

Anywhere in Colorado is great, Mesa Verda is neat to see, Silverton/Ouray, Pikes Peak..[it was pissin' rain when we were there so we didn't go up to the top. Durango can be a bit spendy. Utah has some great scenery, Arches national Park, Canyonlands, Bryce. Monument Valley I really like. I've not spent a lot of time in Wyoming so I can't really say much. Montana is pretty diverse. It doesn't matter where you go, there's great riding out this way. If you want to wear your rubber out evenly though, you gots to go to colorad..oh the riding there is beyond description.
  6. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

Montana has LOTS to see....just keep this in mind...it is in pockets....and eastern MT is MUCH more like Kansas then most people think of when you say Montana......Most of what you think of when you talk MONTANA is in the west end. Some fun scenery and LOTS of BIG SKY in all of it, but some long, lonely stretches that may warrent having a gas can on each bike between gas stations. Just cuz there is a "town" on the map does NOT mean that the town has a gas station......Plan carefully by knowing the limits of ALL the bikes on the ride and confiming the towns as viable gas stops.
  7. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

south pass, 16, yellowstone to west ys, up through bozman down through laural, and the wind river canyon, south out of laramie through waldon, down to and through silverthorne, and breckenridge over to moab down to four corners durango, butte down to idaho falls. sivel canyon, deadwood to lusk on and on and on, I suggest throwing darts and draw a line:D as for camping there is a nice spot in the wind river canyon, one on south pass, some nice spots on 6 in colo, and don't be afraid to swing in to some rancher here and there for some fishing, west yellow stone has some nice camp spots with hot showers, over by jackson and dubouis, there is some great camping, and what to avoid......oh heck that time of year just keep the tank full.
  8. SK

SK New Member

The Salmon River in Idaho is an awesome ride. Hwy 75 out of Sun Valley to Challis, then US93 to Salmon or vice versa. Just absolutely beautiful scenery along the river with the Sawtooth National Recreation area around Sun Valley.
  9. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

If you have some time, read my blog and check out the photos. To get from Montana to Wyoming/Yellowstone, take the Beartooth Pass. I'm staying at a campground called Flagg Ranch in between Yellowstone and the Tetons this summer that has both white river rafting and horseback riding. Not sure if I'll get to those activities because I want to get back up to Beartooth Pass again. Don't even think about a motel/hotel around Jackson Hole, WY unless you want to drop at least $200 a night for the shabbiest place.

Don't miss Arches near Moab, Utah. Take 70 east from Moab to Colorado, then drop down the Million Dollar Highway out of Ouray to Silverton. It was folks on this site that gave me that idea.

If you are moving to a new place every day, I suggest not reserving a campsite. It's pretty easy to find a place, and that way you aren't forced to ride extra miles or stop early if you don't want to. If you want to stay a few nights in one place because of activities or rides in that area, then it's a good idea to get a place.

Be careful. I used to live in NH until I took my ride out west. Now I live in Colorado because I didn't want to go back.
  10. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

So there you have it Ed.

Do you think 18 days is enough:D

It took me 18 days just to read all this.:rolleyes:
  11. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

KOA campsites are found literally in every state. May have to do a little research to find them, but they are there, with showers and other amenities... I've lived in Colorado, Kamsas and California. You have to check out Yosemite and the Grand Canyon. Worth it... Really!!!:)
    Last edited: May 1, 2008
  12. EPS

EPS New Member

Thank you for all of your suggestions. HOT01 was very helpful. I'll post a trip report when I return.
    Ed